A/C noise

ivarr

tried to turn on the ac yesterday and there was a noise like a train whistle coming from under the hood. no cold air, or at least not really noticeably colder than the fan.
it was working just fine last fall when i used it last.

tried to turn on the ac yesterday and there was a noise like a train whistle coming from under the hood. no cold air, or at least not really noticeably colder than the fan.
it was working just fine last fall when i used it last.

My guess would be compressor bearings…

Reactions: ivarr
any reason not to buy a reman'd compressor on ebay for $100- 125 from whatever seller that seems alright in feedback ???

I’ve not had good luck with reman’s on eBay…. I’ve bought 2 in the last 3 months, from different sellers and have sent both back

Sounds like the clutch on the compressor. Most people replace the clutch along with the compressor. There is no guarantee that if the clutch has gone bad, the compressor isn't damaged too. My clutch makes that whining noise from time to time. The last time was a year ago. But, My AC is still optimum.

ok to buy a used compressor with clutch on ebay for under a hundy or do i need to get a new one for $350- plus .

i'm a very poor bastard and money really matters. figure i have about two weeks before i'm going to be really unhappy here in the berkshires without A/C

ok to buy a used compressor with clutch on ebay for under a hundy or do i need to get a new one for $350- plus .

i'm a very poor bastard and money really matters. figure i have about two weeks before i'm going to be really unhappy here in the berkshires without A/C

It's best to fix it right and get it over with. I'm going to have to do the same thing eventually, bit mine stopped whining and the compressor is making good cold air. So, I can put it off for awhile, until it starts whining again, and I get sick of it. So far, I've been lucky, that about the time it starts whining and I get sick of it, and take it to the shop, it has stopped whining. Mine hasn't really whined in years now, so we'll see. There is also a saying about throwing good money after bad. I think this is also a fitting analogy, if you understand it.

Yup, fix it right and be done. For something like this I'd take it to an A/C shop for diagnosis and repair. You would / should get a warranty for their work. Yes doing it yourself saves labor costs, however, buying reman parts is a gamble potentially with little recourse and a waste of your time and effort if you have to do it over again. A/C repairs can be bothersome especially if you need to recharge the system