Airbag indicator light — how can I bypass the cluster?

toximus

My Jeep ♥️ me
Supporting Member
I'm LS swapping my engine and bypassing the cluster, but still want to retain the airbags and airbag indicator light.

This one seems complicated since the airbag module, PCM, and cluster are all essentially computers with the cluster acting as a BCM. I'm not even convinced there's any way to retain the fully operational airbag system... But figured I'd ask in case somebody has figured it out.

Additionally, I do NOT have the Jeep PCM connected and the airbag light on the Jeep cluster is currently lit (at least that's why I assume it's lit). Does anyone know if the airbags will still deploy with the Jeep PCM removed?

1715187737377.png

1715187754514.png

1715187767272.png

Before starting your conversion; were there any other symptoms such as cruise control not working ?
Have you checked the condition of the steering column clock spring and ribbon cable ?
There are several functions fed thru the clock spring... that can be affected by a damaged clock spring.

Before starting your conversion; were there any other symptoms such as cruise control not working ?

All of that worked. I have been very careful to keep the steering wheel in place.

Have you checked the condition of the steering column clock spring and ribbon cable ?

Is there a procedure for that you recommend?

There are several functions fed thru the clock spring... that can be affected by a damaged clock spring.

Horn works. Cruise control is hooked up to my GM ECU now so I'm trying to figure out how to view that in HPTuners.

This makes me think the PCM and cluster are not needed for the airbags to be functional.

1715211167970.png

Reading the text in section 8M of the FSM it looks like the ACM uses the bus just to send an airbag lamp on message to the cluster in the event of a fault with the airbag system. I would have thought, for safety reasons, that the airbags would be designed to work regardless of communication issues with the PCM or cluster.

Since you have a lamp on with no PCM I dont know if you'd be able to read ACM codes with a scanner. The only time I've had an airbag lamp on is when my ACM had an internal fault, but when I was able to read my airbag code the PCM was connected. I've never tried disconnecting my PCM to see if that brings on the lamp.

Reactions: toximus
Horn works. Cruise control is hooked up to my GM ECU now so I'm trying to figure out how to view that in HPTuners.

Just a small update in case somebody in the future is searching:

I checked the cruise control PIDs in HPTuners and they aren't updating. Could be for a multitude of reasons though and I won't know for a while.

I'm not sure we'll know the answer to this until somebody else turns power on to their Jeep with the PCM disconnected. Hopefully a 2004.