Car pics too cool not to share

Probably a pearl coat mix, can be mixed and sprayed in both two stage and three stage systems...though most are probably done in two these days.

You're probably right. All I do know is that I had to stop and find a box of GOOD HUMOR Creamsicles for the ride home.
download (11).jpg

Seems everything these days is labeled "classic" or "vintage" for marketing...and everything seems to be coming up in price (and that's not to say the stuff is worth the money).

The thing that gut punches me is when they start making restoration parts for vehicle that used to be daily driven beater when I was young, like Fox body Mustangs and 3rd gen Camaros. Just a few days ago my son was asking how old some of my vehicles are and when we got to my '99 Integra, my high school car, I said it's 25 now. :oops: Gut punch. When the hell did that happened.

Seems everything these days is labeled "classic" or "vintage" for marketing...and everything seems to be coming up in price (and that's not to say the stuff is worth the money).

Don't forget everything of any real vintage being a "survivor", or a "barn find". Reminds me of when any old POS car with some weird shit tacked onto it was advertised as a "rat rod". As you said, it's all just marketing. Can't wait for private sellers to start using the phrase "You deserve..." in their ads (that's a personal pet-peeve of mine).

If you look at more pics of it, there are just a lot of gaudy choices that were made.

For example, the seats look great to me.
View attachment 525432

The front end treatment, not so much.
View attachment 525433

The wheels, nope.
View attachment 525434

The engine choice, yes. The engine dress, nope.
View attachment 525435

Here's some more pic if you want to see it. https://www.carscoops.com/2021/11/1...ormed-into-a-sleek-two-door-with-a-600-hp-v8/

I love the interior, and am a fan of the front-end treatment, as well. The wheels are alright (even I'm surprised that I think that). However, I 100% agree about the engine situation. Had the W-motor just had those valve covers, it would've been fine, IMHO, but that induction system gingerbread is just too much.

everything of any real vintage being a "survivor", or a "barn find"

advertised as a "rat rod"

every SBC was a "Corvette engine"

How else does one sell sand to the Arabs? :sneaky:

That generic term has become a pet peeve of mine, especially when they have clearly been staged for a photo shoot.

While still a few out there, most true barn finds are long gone. Like you said, most are staged or rubber stamped as, with the true meaning of barn find long since bastardized for the sake of extra profit on a vehicle sale.

But that's true of most things nowadays, I suppose. Abuse of language is rampant in our society. We (not necessarily us) diminish the meaning of long used and words and phrases, then we invent new words and phrases with even less meaning and relevance to take their place. I find the trend "super" irritating...

Reactions: Wildman and BlueC
And who could forget when every SBC was a "Corvette engine"...:rolleyes:

With a Corvette markup. :sneaky:

A lot of that traditional Corvette markup seems to be fading fast. I was at an estate auction a few weeks ago where the guy had collected lots of early 60s Corvette engine parts, heads, blocks, carbs, complete engines etc., and those parts were selling for 1/4 of what their prices were 15-20 years ago. The auctioneer wasn't too happy. He kept starting off with some high prices from 20 years ago, and seemed to be getting mad when no one was willing to get near his prices. :LOL: There was a nice #2 condition, older restoration '59 Corvette with rebuilt spare engine on the block. He started off at $120,000 and got his first offer at $35,000. It sold for $59,000. Multiple sets of "double-hump" heads he said were worth $1,200 or more and started off at $800 wound up selling for $2-300 a set. A box of 12 T3 headlights he said was worth over $200, they couldn't give away.

While still a few out there, most true barn finds are long gone. Like you said, most are staged or rubber stamped as, with the true meaning of barn find long since bastardized for the sake of extra profit on a vehicle sale.

I bought my first '64 out of a barn before it was cool. It had been there from about '73 to '02. If only I hadn't washed off that $20,000 dirt. :sneaky:

Impala_1.jpeg

In 1963, the Power Wagon's off-road prowess was unmatched. Think of it as a mechanical mountain goat. High ground clearance, powerful axles, and a beefy 4-wheel drive system allowed it to conquer trails that would leave other trucks whimpering. This wasn't just a truck for paved roads; it was built to explore the unbeaten path.

1715282219119.png

So ugly you just have to like them....

Reactions: chili_pepper
...10 Cylinders and Front-Wheel Drive: A 1962 Chevy Impala Prototype
Countless General Motors test vehicles never see the light of day. Take this one: a 1962 Chevy Impala with a flat-10 engine and front-wheel drive. It’s said this unusual project came to pass in 1961 as Chevrolet engineering was developing an improved, second-generation version of the Corvair air-cooled six that employed integrated cylinder jugs and heads (in part to control oil leaks). In order to justify the cost of a new engine, Frank Winchell’s engineering staff studied a wider range of applications for the Corvair’s air-cooled, pancake architecture, constructing four-cylinder, eight-cylinder, and ultimately, a 10-cylinder experimental engine that displaced 300 cubic inches (above). On paper at least, the flat-10 should be reasonably smooth and good for an easy 250 hp. Reportedly, there was even a 12-cylinder version that existed in drawings.
Meanwhile, GM was also in the early stages of development in a new front-wheel drive system that would eventually appear in the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado. So the flat-10 engine was coupled to a front-drive transaxle adapted from Corvair and Pontiac Tempest components and then turned 180 degrees so the engine was out front. This powertrain was then installed in a 1962 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe, and an extended hood and front fender assembly was constructed in fiberglass to cover the hardware. As implausible as it may seem, the front/rear weight distribution of this unusual setup was said to be acceptable.
While the long-nosed Impala was no thing of great beauty, it evidently served its purpose as a test mule for the flat-10 engine and front-drive system. But the second-generation Corvair engine family was never sent into production, so the project was concluded and as the story goes, the car was scrapped soon after.
copied from
https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/10-cylinders-and-front.../

1715284811775.png