Hardtop install questions

Randy516

Hi All,

New to this forum but not to Jeeps. I have a stock '03 Sahara with the OEM soft top that the original owner sold the hardtop as he wasn't using it and taking up space in his garage.

That being said, I am on the hunt for a good used hardtop with wiper/defogger. From this forum and others, am I to understand that there are some slight design changes prior to 2003 and 2003 forward? I see references on new aftermarket tops showing 1997-2002 then 2003-2006, but I haven't found any definition as to the reason why. In my search, should I specifically look for an '03-'06?

Next question - most likely the one I find won't have the mounting hardware (I'm just not that lucky in life). What do I need to seal and bolt this puppy down permanently and do it so it does not have wind noise or leaks?

Thanks a million in advance for any suggestions/advice offered.

I don't believe there were any major changes to the TJ hardtops over the model years, only that the colors offered might have changed. That being said, if you do find one for an 03-06, you know you won't have any issues.

If your Jeep had a hardtop before, you have the wiring and washer hose, which you probably knew. As far as the hardware, you can find several versions of the six attachment bolts, from OEM to aftermarket hand thread versions (no tools needed) on Amazon, including the nuts that go underneath the body rail. I got some OEM replacements recently that came with the bolt and nut as a set. Those have torx headed bolts. The hardtops themselves have an adhesive foam tape on the bottom of the rail, and that can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and should be all you need. You can also find touch-up paint in OEM colors for the outside if you need it.

Amazon also offers replacement gas struts for the rear glass, if needed. On the windshield header, if your rubber seal is in good shape, that should take care of any wind noise there.

Last edited:
The factory hard tops from from 1997-2002 had a vertical vent grille just aft of the side window.
This vent was moved to the tailgate for 2003 and later.

I believe this change was to aid the TJs that were equipped with a factory soft top.

Reactions: lowranger
On my Tan hardtop the vertical vents are also tan...though I have seen other Tan hardtops that had black vertical vents. Not sure what the deal is with that or if thats a model specific trim detail but mine is a Sahara so maybe thats why the trim matches, like the fenders.

You won't need any special hardware to hold the rear of the hard top, just six medium-size bolts & nuts with washers.

As said above, the first main difference in 2002 and older with 2003 and newer is the older tops have rear side vents. Since you have a 2003 with a vent in the tail gate, which 2002 and older did not, it won't matter if your hard top has the vent or not. The other thing is that the wiring connectors changed in 2003 for the hard top's interior light, wiper, and window defogger.

Thanks a million for the advice. It sounds like I may need to perform a little rewiring if I buy a top older than '03, per Jerry B.. Not a problem. On another thread either here or elsewhere, someone gave the dimensions of the weather stripping needed. All I have to do is figure out where I saw it. lol

I surmised as much but thought I should confer with the experts, and you all came though with flying colors. Having spent 40+ years in the heavy construction business with well over a 100 employees, I have found it to be the less expensive route to do the research and do the repair or modification right the first time. Thanks again.

You won't need any special hardware to hold the rear of the hard top, just six medium-size bolts & nuts with washers.

As said above, the first main difference in 2002 and older with 2003 and newer is the older tops have rear side vents. Since you have a 2003 with a vent in the tail gate, which 2002 and older did not, it won't matter if your hard top has the vent or not. The other thing is that the wiring connectors changed in 2003 for the hard top's interior light, wiper, and window defogger.
Jerry, I just bought a pre '03 hardtop for my '03. I see your comment re: wiring connector change in '03. Is just connector reconfigured? Are the wires, nos./colors and functions, of each the same at the connectors (pre and post)?

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a used 1 piece hard top no hardware. I've seen the bolt kits for the lower rails, what keeps the front part tight next to the wind shield. The top I got has nothing up there.

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a used 1 piece hard top no hardware. I've seen the bolt kits for the lower rails, what keeps the front part tight next to the wind shield. The top I got has nothing up there.
You should have two friction/cam latches on the front edge on the top, that lock into two windshield receiving openings on top frame.
DSC00255.jpg

What he may need are the little mucket seals by the side doors.