Flat tow disaster

Had a motorhome pass the shop 2 weeks ago. The only reason I noticed it was the car it was flat towing was making some interesting noises. With the motor in the rear it’s hard to hear 40’ behind you.
Hmm the RV seams a little sluggish today.

You think better mileage towing a trailer with Jeep rather than just the same Jeep? I know there is less stuff spinning but more weight.

Probably splitting hairs on that one. So many variables driving that box into the wind. 😂

Probably splitting hairs on that one. So many variables driving that box into the wind. 😂

I would tie it to the type of drive. Interstate haul where you go hundreds of miles at a time stopping only for gas? Trailer probably wins due to lower rolling resistance. Make lots of stops or take the state highways going through town where you spend a lot of time accelerating, flat tow might come out on top due to less weight to accelerate.

Flat towing puts more wear and tear on the TJ. It all depends on your particular situation and needs. My trailer usually has more than just the TJ on it. I really do not care about gas milage. It’s range that matters the most to me. On my 4 day campout the nearest gas is about an hour away. I’m hoping the 10 gal of extra gas will be enough. With 3 day of desert wheeling planed I might throw 10 more on the trailer my son is bringing out. I will not carry gas cans in my TJ.