Gauges stopped working

ttrabon

Was driving my 97 the other day. Heard through my speakers a slight popping sound. Looked at my radio and it was off. Then I looked up at my gauges and none of them were working, turn signals work. I looked at the fuse behind the glovebox it wasn’t popped, also tested the amp/voltage draw and got nothing on my meter. I also tested other fuses in the block and got nothing.
Any other ideas to try? The picture is with the Jeep running and the engine revving. I wasn’t driving but the speedometer doesn’t work either.

IMG_9171.jpeg

Bad ignition/turn on wire? IF there's no signal for the radio or cluster to be on, they'll simply shut off. Do your turn signals work when the key is in the run position?

The plug on the back of the instrument cluster is prone to corrosion. Even a TSB out on it, I think. I'd check the connector and maybe bend the receiving pins to make better contact.

-Mac

Reactions: Jeanfi007
With the radio being affected, but turn signals still working, the switched power to the radio should be fine.

The cluster dropping out can be caused by a failure in the IOD circuit, which supplies, constant 12V for the cluster, radio and PCM. It also supplies power for the courtesy lamps.

The cluster in my 97 doesn't work if the IOD fuse is removed. I've known some radios to not work if they have no constant 12V supply.

Check the IOD fuse, #17 (10A), under the hood.