It just happened!

Before you get carried away, do a test on a straight road without much camber. Try to drive it straight with the steering wheel on center. Pay attention to it not wanting to be centered as in as soon as it gets to center, it pops over ever so slightly to either side requiring constant correction because you can't drive it with the steering wheel centered.

I'm going to re-check that every thing is tight, then start with the straight road test. I'll have an annual VA State inspection due in June, so when that is done, assuming it passes, my next step will be a professional alignment. I really don't want to put any parts on this until I clearly identify the issue.
The other way to think about "memory" steer is the breakaway torque is way too high on the pins in the balljoint body when they are loaded. What happens is the torque or force to move them rotationally is way too high but drops very low once they move. That leads to very wonky steering in that as soon as they move, you've steered too far and have to pull it back. The problem is when it comes back, it stops, the force goes back up to move it again, apply high force, it drops off when it moves, so you rinse and repeat with a very exhausting to drive steering set up.

Loose ball joints only cause steering issues if they induce DW, the rest of the time, all they create is a very slight vagueness and maybe some very slight wandering.
There is some slight wandering. I'm beginning to wonder about the ball joints and will confirm if they are good our bad asap.

Here is a stupid thought,

Have you checked the steering stabilizer to make sure the rod doesn't have a slight bend in it.

Had a super duty that did that and drove me nuts till I had my Dad turn the wheel while I was under it watching. The rod was bent ever so much and would hinder steering.

I put a new one on when I installed Blaine's tie rod. However, I did notice that the tie rod clamp slightly contacts the steering dampener at full lock. I'll need to rotate the one on the dampener side so there is zero interference. On a separate note, when inspecting for this, I noticed a significant oil leak coming from either the oil pan gasket or crank seal. :cautious:

I don't recall all your latest upgrades but if you haven't had a laser alignment after suspension upgrades, I recommend getting it done by the pros. I kept trying to use all the tape measurement methods mentioned on this forum and yet my Jeep was a terror to drive.

My local dealership lifts Jeeps so I took it to them for a laser alignment. —> The Jeep was on rails driving it home. Crazy nimble that I'm still trying to get comfortable with after the terror rides I had after each 'at home' alignment I tried.

Any local shop that modified trucks, Jeeps, etc. should be able to do a good laser alignment. I wouldn't take a modified Jeep to just any shop for alignment - pick one that modifies larger vehicles.

At this point my list is:

- Do Blaine's suggested straight steer test
- Have someone confirm that my ball joints are okay
- Get a professional alignment

I'm going to re-check that every thing is tight, then start with the straight road test. I'll have an annual VA State inspection due in June, so when that is done, assuming it passes, my next step will be a professional alignment. I really don't want to put any parts on this until I clearly identify the issue.

There is some slight wandering. I'm beginning to wonder about the ball joints and will confirm if they are good our bad asap.

Well, the "wandering" issue has been discovered. The ball joints are fine, as is everything else I installed. However, it turns out that the guy I bought the Dana 44 front from straight drilled the knuckles, eliminating the taper. I thought about ordering a set of replacement knuckles, but that would be a waste of money. It looks like the BBK is now being bumped up on the must-do list.

Installed a set of knuckles I pulled from a Dana 30. This will hold me over until I order the BBK. Also, new 5.38 gears went in front and rear this week, along with a rear Ox air locker. I'm hoping that sometime during the Summer I'll get to the following parts piled up in the garage:

- Savvy belly skid
- Savvy gas tank skid
- PSC steering
- Setrab transmission cooler
- and more

Last edited: