Auto Custom Carpets Install and Review

kmas0n

I have no idea what I'm talking about
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been looking at carpet options for Gru for a while now and was leaning heavily towards the BedRug. Just when I was about to pull the trigger I did one last forum search and started reading between the lines. I got the impression that the carpet is super light and if not held down by something else, it moves and slides around easily. After living with a bedlined tub for 5+ years, I was tired of it and found that I didn't enjoy driving my TJ for more than a few miles due to the noise and heat. It became even more noticeable after putting a new Bestop Trektop NX on. It wasn't just a matter of noise coming through the floor, but how noises inside the cab echoed around. I rarely turn the stereo on anymore because of how bad it sounded. As thin as the bedrug sounds, it wasn't the product i'l looking for. It doesn't help that in the past year the price has gone up near $100 on amazon.
So, I decided to give Auto Custom Carpets a try. I chose their mass backed kit. The mass will help with sound absorption, but from my understanding give the carpet some "heft" and help it hold its shape. This means it will fit better and not flop about. Rock auto had the best price of $400 shipped to my door. The way rock auto lists the carpet is incorrect, use the ACC part number 22529

IMG_20191009_153525.jpg

A few days later a big box showed up. This sucker weighs about 40#. Good thing its carpet because FedEx beat the crap out of it.

IMG_20191009_153536.jpg

I opened the box and laid everything out to check things out and give it a bit of time to unfold. I'm very impressed with the carpet, at first the edges looked fuzzy and unfinished but after closer examination they are held together extremely well with the MLV base. This stuff is very flexible and heavy. I don't see this stuff fraying.

IMG_20191009_155711.jpg

IMG_20191009_155736.jpg

Also nice is that all the holes have been punched in MLV base, but not all the way through. You can choose to cut which ones you need, so if like me, you run without a back seat, you don't have un-needed holes everywhere.

IMG_20191009_160038.jpg

Install was easy, I did pull the console and seats, its so easy to do I don't get the point in fighting around them. The carpet fit well and required no trimming. Everything is molded and fits like glove.

IMG_20191010_072009.jpg

IMG_20191010_071925.jpg

MVIMG_20191010_071953.jpg

The best part is the comfort factor. It is much quieter, warmer in the mornings, cooler in the heat of the day. The echos are gone as well as some of the rattles. Carpet isn't for everyone. If you play in the mud with no top on, obviously this would be a waste. As someone who has lived it, you can let go of your dreams of effortlessly hosing down the interior with it being bed lined. It doesn't work like that. It's hot, loud and hard to keep looking nice.

So, my initial review of ACC mass backed carpet is all positive. I'll update if anything ever changes.

That looks good, and better than the Bedrug I have in the front. I don't really have a problem with the bed rug, but this is nicer. Do you think it could be installed without removing the console? I ask because my auto shift knob didn't want to stay down, so I glued it in place.

Yeah, I didn't completely remove mine, just unbolted it so I could get the carpet under it. For the record you don't have to pull the knob to get the console out, you can squeeze the shift boot back through the console and leave it in place. I have never seen the Bedrug so I can't compare, but the ACC stuff seems like very high quality.

Mine is an automatic, so it has a t-handle, so you can't get the console out with it in place. Yeah, I can see not having to remove it entirely, although I did when I installed the Bedrug.

Reactions: kmas0n
That looks great! Thanks for the review and photos as well. I've heard about this stuff for so long, but never managed to find anyone running it (or if so, they weren't posting about it at least).

I think it looks great, and making the interior more quiet and warm is never a bad thing. I may have just gone with this as oppose to BedRug had I known.

This has my interest for sure. I've got the factory carpet but I like the idea of MLV added. Does it smell at all? MLV can sometimes have an odor. I'm wondering how it would do if it ever got rained on. I don't let my carpet get wet often but if it did happen I wouldn't want to have to pull it all out and shampoo it to get rid of the musty smell (I've had luck in the past letting the sun dry it out).

This has my interest for sure. I've got the factory carpet but I like the idea of MLV added. Does it smell at all? MLV can sometimes have an odor. I'm wondering how it would do if it ever got rained on. I don't let my carpet get wet often but if it did happen I wouldn't want to have to pull it all out and shampoo it to get rid of the musty smell (I've had luck in the past letting the sun dry it out).

No smell I can detect. I was actually hoping it would have "new car smell" but apparently that's not where they keep it. The MLV won't absorb water at all so it would just pool up on top. And under it. My guess is you would have to pull all of the carpet and let it dry in the sun just like before.

damn and I just bought sound insulation to put down on my TJ...oh well I am sure there will be other vehicles to use it on in the future. This looks great, thanks for the review!

Here's more info on the ACC carpet. This first link is to a thread I put up to help decide what color I wanted. The rest is the actual first post. I just copied and pasted it here.

I have the carpet but have not installed it yet. One thing to consider is if you're putting down sound deadener or just want the carpet without the mass backing. They sell that too. And it's about $311. As you'll see below they have two thickness'. The thicker is $311. The thinner is even less - in the $200 range IIRC. I think even the thinner carpet is thicker than bedrug. But I could be wrong about that. Bedrug would be the winner if your getting water or mud or alot of dirt in your cab. As you can wash it and get it to dry fast. This ACC carpet is more like carpet you'd see in a luxury car. At least the thicker set that I purchased. But it appears to be a heavy duty use carpet.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-for-black-jeep-acc-luxury-jeep-carpet.18811/

"Probably going to decide on just plain old black. But thought I would open it up to discussion. And share a little bit about ACC carpet. The thickest Jeep carpet I've found so far. And surprisingly one of the least expensive for a full set including rocker panels. My goal is sound deadening. And making the inside of my Jeep as nice as possible. I'm not a big off roader. I tend to steer clear of anything harsher than old logging roads in the PNW:

Ignore the sample on the right. Even though I think I like that color best it does not come in the thick pile that I want. These are ACC carpet samples. I'm getting the Essex version. It's a complete carpet kit from Rockauto. Runs about $350. And is thicker than anything else I have found.

https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1999/Jeep/Wrangler/Flooring/22528/ That's the Wrangler TJ page for complete sets of their thickest carpet called Essex. You can select Cutpile for their thinner cheaper version. Which is still pretty good. I'd say it's on par with OEM. Maybe a little better.

The photos don't match the actual carpet. Unfortunately. Because some of the pic colors look awesome. But you can request as many as 5 samples at a time here. They sent them to me free in like two days:

https://www.accmats.com/customer-care/ Click on Color Sample Request.

Here is the sale page on Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1431777,interior,flooring,1264

And a page with more info and a video:

More Information for ACC 22528180

Two pics of the carpet set and the two different piles"

capture-jpg.jpg

essex-jpg.jpg

My dash and door panels are dk slate, my seats will be black 03-06 style with a bit of charcoal pattern on the front (basically looks black), black roll bar covers (once I replace or repaint them). And of course all the metal is black. Soft top is khaki diamond. Kind of green/grey color. I used to be into all black vehicles. And swore them off several years ago. Just hard to keep clean. But this was the best deal on a TJ I could find. So I guess it's back to black for me.

20190119_161906-jpg.jpg

I'm leaning towards the black. Even though it will show more things. The grey just seems to light to go with all the black. It matches the dash ok. But with everything else black it just seems like it would look out of place. I was hoping to find a dark grey or black with white flecks in it. Kind of that industrial look carpet. But Bedrug was the only thing that came close to that. I like Bedrug. But it's a lot more expensive. And not nearly as thick as the ACC carpet. They also make a set with sound deadener mat on the back. But it's a good hundred or so more. And I don't need it as I'm laying down sound deadener under the carpet. ACC also sells the nicest set of floor mats for a Jeep I've ever seen. I'll eventually get those to cover this carpet set. Or I may go full plastic throughout.

If you haven't checked out ACC carpets you should. As long as you not mudding or off roading a lot of dirt, mud or water into your vehicle. They are the most luxurious carpets I've found. Meaning thick, soft and make for a quieter interior. If you get a lot of dirt, water or mud in your vehicle I'd go with Bedrug. I think those would come out and dry alot faster. And be alot easier to clean.

So black or grey? (That's my disgusting shop table. Not my computer desk. lol) The stock carpets I have now are black."

20190217_093904-jpg.jpg

I vote black. It's very close in appearance and feel to the carpet in my JLUR. I did not get the Essex.

Reactions: JMT
Yo can I come check out how it looks and feels sometime? Been thinking about this for future endeavors.

I vote black. It's very close in appearance and feel to the carpet in my JLUR. I did not get the Essex.

Black was what I went with. It's what's in there now. It's taken a while to put in. As I have sound deadener and heat shield to go down under it. And that's a pretty big job. Have to find a long weekend. So I know for sure it's done by monday. As it's my DD.

I've been looking at carpet options for Gru for a while now and was leaning heavily towards the BedRug. Just when I was about to pull the trigger I did one last forum search and started reading between the lines. I got the impression that the carpet is super light and if not held down by something else, it moves and slides around easily. After living with a bedlined tub for 5+ years, I was tired of it and found that I didn't enjoy driving my TJ for more than a few miles due to the noise and heat. It became even more noticeable after putting a new Bestop Trektop NX on. It wasn't just a matter of noise coming through the floor, but how noises inside the cab echoed around. I rarely turn the stereo on anymore because of how bad it sounded. As thin as the bedrug sounds, it wasn't the product i'l looking for. It doesn't help that in the past year the price has gone up near $100 on amazon.
So, I decided to give Auto Custom Carpets a try. I chose their mass backed kit. The mass will help with sound absorption, but from my understanding give the carpet some "heft" and help it hold its shape. This means it will fit better and not flop about. Rock auto had the best price of $400 shipped to my door. The way rock auto lists the carpet is incorrect, use the ACC part number 22529

View attachment 119251

A few days later a big box showed up. This sucker weighs about 40#. Good thing its carpet because FedEx beat the crap out of it.

View attachment 119252

I opened the box and laid everything out to check things out and give it a bit of time to unfold. I'm very impressed with the carpet, at first the edges looked fuzzy and unfinished but after closer examination they are held together extremely well with the MLV base. This stuff is very flexible and heavy. I don't see this stuff fraying.

View attachment 119253

View attachment 119254

Also nice is that all the holes have been punched in MLV base, but not all the way through. You can choose to cut which ones you need, so if like me, you run without a back seat, you don't have un-needed holes everywhere.

View attachment 119258

Install was easy, I did pull the console and seats, its so easy to do I don't get the point in fighting around them. The carpet fit well and required no trimming. Everything is molded and fits like glove.

View attachment 119266

View attachment 119268

View attachment 119269

The best part is the comfort factor. It is much quieter, warmer in the mornings, cooler in the heat of the day. The echos are gone as well as some of the rattles. Carpet isn't for everyone. If you play in the mud with no top on, obviously this would be a waste. As someone who has lived it, you can let go of your dreams of effortlessly hosing down the interior with it being bed lined. It doesn't work like that. It's hot, loud and hard to keep looking nice.

So, my initial review of ACC mass backed carpet is all positive. I'll update if anything ever changes.

Did this cut a lot of the exhaust heat out? I have carpet but its super thin and nearly worthless....doesnt have a backing anywhere as nice as what you installed. Wondering how much heat it blocks. My Jeep gets real hot when driving on the interstate. With a 3speed and 4:56 gears it turns 3500rpms on the interstate and the floorboard gets pretty dang hot. Especially for people wearing flip flops or sandals.

Honestly it may help a lot to put some type of heat deflection on the bottom side of the Jeep so the tub itself isnt absorbing so much exhaust heat.

I don't notice any heat coming through the floor anymore. With just the bed lined tub and no carpet, it was miserable

View attachment 119251

View attachment 119252

View attachment 119253

View attachment 119254

View attachment 119258

View attachment 119266

View attachment 119268

View attachment 119269

Just curious how this is doing for after a year. Considering this and Bedrug. Seems both have some good reviews however I like the color options ACC offers. My tub is lined with bedliner currently and no carpet.