New from Arkansas

Wyrdo

Just saying hi to all of yall.

been lurking on here for about a month now while trying to decide if i should get a TJ or not. picked up a 06 about 2 weeks ago and figured i might as well join since i probably wouldnt have bought the damn thing if it wasnt for this place.

where in Arkansas? From what I gather on YT there's tons of forest roads to explore over there. I work (in Oklahoma) about 70 miles west of the Bentonville-Fayetteville metro but I haven't been out to explore much of AR yet other than a little park outside of Eureka Springs.

Welcome to the forum. How do you plan to use your TJ and post up some pictures.

thanks, and my plan is pretty much a daily driver/camping rig. to be honest i think a stock TJ is more than enough to do what i plan on doing with mine. seeing all the cool builds people are running on here tho is a bad influence lol. as of now its a stock X with 31x10.50 tires. being a daily driver and not wanting to do gears for a bit i plan on a basic setup around the 31s.
here are some pics, bought it from my neighbor he just turned 80 and this has been his summer fun rig for a while now, its not perfect but cleaner than a 200k mile jeep should be lol. btw the oil on the ground is from another car, the Jeep for sure leaks a little bit but what is in the pics is from a grand caravan with 350k i just stole its spot.

20231215_162716.jpg

20231215_162827.jpg

where in Arkansas? From what I gather on YT there's tons of forest roads to explore over there. I work (in Oklahoma) about 70 miles west of the Bentonville-Fayetteville metro but I haven't been out to explore much of AR yet other than a little park outside of Eureka Springs.

im from the Russellville/Dover area born and raised and dont plan on leaving. the Ozark national forest is pretty much in my back yard. grew up camping and riding 4 wheelers all over the place around here, have always wanted a Jeep for some weekend camping/exploring. hooking up a trialer and dragging 4 wheelers out is just too much of a hassle to do very often, i like the idea of just hoping in the Jeep with my lady or my dog and heading out for the night/weekend. the more the world changes the more i want to get away from it type of deal.

welcome out from the shadows and congrats on your TJ 🍻

thank you, really enjoying it so far even tho the most i have done "offroad" so far is tearing up my front yard thanks to the rain and crap we have had recently. have always been more into fast cars and have had some fun ones but just farting around town in this thing has been way more fun than i thought it would be. i have convinced myself that its actually a really fast tractor so it still feels like im driving a "hotrod"

im from the Russellville/Dover area born and raised and dont plan on leaving. the Ozark national forest is pretty much in my back yard. grew up camping and riding 4 wheelers all over the place around here, have always wanted a Jeep for some weekend camping/exploring. hooking up a trialer and dragging 4 wheelers out is just too much of a hassle to do very often, i like the idea of just hoping in the Jeep with my lady or my dog and heading out for the night/weekend. the more the world changes the more i want to get away from it type of deal.

very nice. My Jeep habit started when I similarly lived minutes outside of National Forest (Pike National Forest to be specific) and was out there every weekend. Never did want the hassle of trailering ATVs or UTVs and then that dictating what vehicles I had to keep around; being able to drive to the trail and just hit it is much more convenient to me.

Oklahoma has some national forest but it's all four+ hours away, so I pay to wheel.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC
very nice. My Jeep habit started when I similarly lived minutes outside of National Forest (Pike National Forest to be specific) and was out there every weekend. Never did want the hassle of trailering ATVs or UTVs and then that dictating what vehicles I had to keep around; being able to drive to the trail and just hit it is much more convenient to me.

Oklahoma has some national forest but it's all four+ hours away, so I pay to whee

Oklahoma has some national forest but it's all four+ hours away, so I pay to wheel.

looks like i messed up trying to reply so double post
half of my family (moms side) is from Oklahoma, Clayton to be exact. seems like there is some good offroad stuff in that area. next time i go visit family in that area i will probably drive the TJ and check it out. not sure how much stuff a stockish Jeep will be able to do there tho, have been in town while its flooded with people in full big builds and rock bouncer type rigs but will just have to see. i have noticed there are 2 types of jeepers, the ones that like to climb crazy stuff as a "sport" and those that just enjoy getting out and seeing pretty places. makes me feel old lol but i find myself more attracted to the "pretty places" type stuff. being able to comfortably drive out to places like Colorado and hitting up some mild scenic trails is a big part of wanting to keep the TJ as stockish as possible for the most part. i think the term i have seen used that best describes what im interested in is "OEM+" something that looks like it could have been a factory or dealer built package.

i have noticed there are 2 types of jeepers, the ones that like to climb crazy stuff as a "sport" and those that just enjoy getting out and seeing pretty places. makes me feel old lol but i find myself more attracted to the "pretty places" type stuff.

Nothing wrong with this at all.

Pretty places an Arizona.
20230127_151037.jpg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Come out to Arizona. We love hosting out of towners.
my area is under a winter advisory with potentially 5-9 inches of snow in the next few days and windchill reaching 20 below 0. Jeep or no Jeep Arizona sounds really nice right now.
we are just getting over a lot of rain and now this, there are a lot of cool places in the Ozarks like frozen waterfalls i would like to check out in the next few days, just not sure i trust my tires at the moment. they only have a few thousand miles on them and say they are all terrains but dont look like they are very capable in my opinion. would be a really fun first adventure tho.

frozen cwf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidBT
Welcome from South East Arizona. I think I already said that in your other post. You would be surprised where your jeep will go on stockish tires. I have dealer installed Walmart all terrains and they've been amazing. It's 50% you and 50% the jeep!!

Welcome from South East Arizona. I think I already said that in your other post. You would be surprised where your jeep will go on stockish tires. I have dealer installed Walmart all terrains and they've been amazing. It's 50% you and 50% the jeep!!

so we ended up getting around 5 inches of snow in my area and single digit temps for a couple days. had to get out at 4am in the worst of it Monday to give my girlfriends mom a ride to work and was a little nervous about having such a short wheelbase and the tires. the jeep and the tires handled it like it was nothing, probably the best vehicle i have ever driven in the snow and now frozen slush. 2wd its not so great but put it into 4hi and it was amazing how well it drove. i dont expect a whole lot out of them for any "real" mud but i have to give them some credit for how well they did in fresh dry powder, hard pack, and now frozen slush/ice mix. my previous 4x4 was a 94 z71 long wheelbase truck. it was heavy, had more aggressive tires, 4x4 with the locking rear g80 and i didnt expect the Jeep to be as good but honestly it was a bit better than my truck was.
the only thing i have found that the Jeep doesnt like so far is heavy rain with our crappy road by my house, it holds a lot of water and the Jeep grabs pretty hard one way or the other when you hit a good patch of water.
going to stick with the 31s maybe 32s if its not too much work but the plan is to keep this setup for daily driving and find a used set of aggressive tires and cheap wheels for weekend camping trips.
i know i havnt done much in it yet but im impressed so far, excited to get out and explore when it warms up a bit. thinking a budget winch might be a good idea just incase i get a little too confident tho lol.