Are beadlocks really worth it?

I asked myself this question and my wife is starting to ask as well. I've promised her we are ok. I have never popped a bead in a mall parking lot.

With that said, we are planning on taking the Jeep to Colorado for the trails in the future, but have no plans for rock crawling. So I still think we are ok. Colorado members, please chime in.

You'll be fine. Ive seen 3 flats while hitting the trails. One was on a very difficult obstacle where the valve was sheared off. The other was a difficult line and the driver turning hard into the rock, and the third was some mischievous play.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
As much as I would like a set, neither of my trail flats would have been prevented with beadlocks.

Reactions: billiebob
You'll be fine. Ive seen 3 flats while hitting the trails. One was on a very difficult obstacle where the valve was sheared off. The other was a difficult line and the driver turning hard into the rock, and the third was some mischievous play.
Bead locks likely would have prevented two of the three, a better job of picking your friends would have prevented the third.

• Haha
Reactions: billiebob
I asked myself this question and my wife is starting to ask as well. I've promised her we are ok. I have never popped a bead in a mall parking lot.

With that said, we are planning on taking the Jeep to Colorado for the trails in the future, but have no plans for rock crawling. So I still think we are ok. Colorado members, please chime in.
Colorado member here. My opinion is that there's only a handful of trails in Colorado that justify airing down far enough to really need beadlocks, and if you're doing those trails then you're probably in the 38" tire range anyway. If your plans include stuff like Carnage Canyon, Holy Cross, or Independence Trail then beadlocks might be beneficial...but if you hit the areas most people hit from out of state (Ouray, Lake City, Silverton, Telluride) then airing down is more for comfort than traction.

All that said...I stumbled across this company called Bassett Racing wheels that makes steel 15" beadlocks for about $120/wheel and they weigh about as much as my aluminum Ultras. Know nothing about their quality, just that they exist.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Colorado member here. My opinion is that there's only a handful of trails in Colorado that justify airing down far enough to really need beadlocks, and if you're doing those trails then you're probably in the 38" tire range anyway. If your plans include stuff like Carnage Canyon, Holy Cross, or Independence Trail then beadlocks might be beneficial...

Fair point. I was on Holy Cross when I lost the valve stem on my worn out 33s. ;)
C85C1F23-10B9-442D-B692-3E36C717D416.jpeg

Fair point. I was on Holy Cross when I lost the valve stem on my worn out 33s. ;)

first, that's a great photo. I'd like to hit up holy cross one of these days but probably not until I get 33's and my suspension a little better set up.

Second...I saw these on a youtube vid the other day, might have solved your problem without beadlocks.

first, that's a great photo. I'd like to hit up holy cross one of these days but probably not until I get 33's and my suspension a little better set up.

Mine would be near the minimum requirements to get through without too much of a fight and still have a good time. Raised skids and small bumpers are pretty meaningful, especially when the tires are just enough.

Second...I saw these on a youtube vid the other day, might have solved your problem without beadlocks.

Already in my shopping cart. I do wish I would have had one with me. :)

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

I'm intrigued. These seem like a great item to throw in the toolbag.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low