Oscilloscopes

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
These pretty much never get mentioned, and probably with good reason. Most people work on their car won't ever need one, and if you know that you need one theres a > 0% chance you have a pricey scanner to give you oscilloscope functionality along with a lot of other auto/computer tools. There are only a few places where one would even be handy, but those places tend to be where we spend a lot of time diagnosing trouble: crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, speedo sensor (ok, we don't talk about this one much), and of course our good friend the O2 sensor.

If you decide that you do want a traditional oscilloscope, you're looking at at least $150, and it's gonna take up some space. For about $90 Amazon now sells a multi-meter/scope combo that looks promising, but $90 was more than I wanted to spend. So instead I found a much cheaper option ($33-$45) in the form of an Audrino-based handheld oscilloscope. Banking on Amazon's return policy, I rolled the dice and bought one over the weekend. The below picture is from their stock photos, but in practice it looks pretty much just like that; it's not a photoshopped screen which is what I expected. There are several version of this on Amazon, this is the cheapest one I could find.

Came with the BNC/alligator connector and a power supply (the amazon link says it doesn't come with the power supply). The instructions kinda suck, but I was able to get it calibrated more or less through their procedure, and then verify against a 9V battery and a 5V phone charger, and was able to see the ripple on it. It has a limitation on resolution of about 200kHz, which is plenty good for analyzing most of the stuff on our jeeps.

I used this to back probe my cam position sensor and was able to get a nice 5V square wave on the display with virtually no effort. For kicks I tested an old speedo sensor with my cordless drill and this is what it looked like, just to show some real output. Conclusion: for $33, this is a pretty good buy if you want to test some sensors while the jeep is running. It's pretty lightweight, so it's the sort of thing you'd want to store in a box in a drawer somewhere and not keep in the glovebox, but odds are you aren't going to need this on the trail anyway.

TL;DR - super cool, good value, but you probably don't need it.

1676504612379.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZPY9R9/?tag=wranglerorg-20

61HtGPKSJ9L._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
That's pretty cool for such a low price point. I use oscilloscopes every day at work, but ours are in the $10K and up range so no way I'm buying one of those for the house, but this one for around $40 is a contender.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
Exactly. I called up my old professors in the physics Dept to see if they had any they needed to part ways with, but the red tape of buying something off a state school is ridic. If it weren’t 15mm away, I might just stop in for lunch and “take a tour of the stock room” for old times sake.

But in the meanwhile a $40 flier didn’t seem like a bad fallback plan. NGL, when I fired up the jeep and saw the square wave pattern show up, I was legit excited.

They make a kit you can assemble yourself, but even I’m not that cheap.

Here are two other contenders:

For around $65 but appears to mainly run the same firmware:

CAB3F8A5-EF52-4AFB-83A0-AD026FA05D9A.jpeg

And then this guy for $90
43F514DC-8F5D-4D92-8AC7-9E9AB0DDC8C1.jpeg

. . . For kicks I tested an old speedo sensor with my cordless drill and this is what it looked like, just to show some real output . . .

If I didn't already have a bench o-scope I would grab one of these.

Was that old speed sensor from a Wrangler? I scoped my 2005 a few weeks ago while building a speedo corrector, and it gave a very clean square wave, unlike the one in your screenshot. Just wondering.

Yeah, it was out of my 97. The only reason I swapped it out was because it was leaking. That definitely isn’t a clean square wave, that’s for sure. It’s not a scope problem, the cam sensor gave a super nice square.

That's pretty cool for such a low price point. I use oscilloscopes every day at work, but ours are in the $10K and up range so no way I'm buying one of those for the house, but this one for around $40 is a contender.

Yeah, techtronix stuff is expensive!

I have cheap one I mostly use when setting preamp input on stereos.
it was only $33 good for most things I do.
scope 2.jpg

I have cheap one I mostly use when setting preamp input on stereos.
it was only $33 good for most things I do.
View attachment 401925

That was in my cart for a while. It looks like it has the exact same firmware as the one I shared, just missing the encoder knob. I wish I knew more about Arduino stuff, I feel like there is a lot of power I could be tapping into.

That was in my cart for a while. It looks like it has the exact same firmware as the one I shared, just missing the encoder knob. I wish I knew more about Arduino stuff, I feel like there is a lot of power I could be tapping into.

Yep, it's used in quite a few low cost scopes on the market right now. It's done everything I needed it to to so far.
I worked with Arduino stuff when I built racing drones. They make quality products.

I know I'm reviving an older thread here, so sorry for that, but after just buying my first cheap scope (45.00CAD) and watching some youtubes on how to use it effectively, I honestly can't imagine working on a vehicle without one ever again. To be able to watch the spark firing and being able to differentiate between an open lead, shorted plug, or no fuel miss in 30 seconds is a game changer. And then being able to see if an injector is firing or not... confirm cam/crank synchronization... confirm an IAC works... etc.

Game changer. I just wish I had shelled out an extra 40 bucks for a 2 channel scope.

• USA Proud
Oh man, I haven’t thought about an oscilloscope in years! When I first joint the Air Force I was on a maintenance crew for our weapons career field. This was the late 80’s. We used one sometimes checking F-16 weapons systems wiring. My crew chief was experienced with it but I was just learning. It was a huge box that took both hands to carry. 🤣

I still have my very first 'scope, paid $45 when I was in high school:

s-l1600.jpg

(Internet picture, but mine's exactly like this one)

When it comes to low cost scopes - I think I'd rather pay a bit more and get something like this one perhaps:
https://www.amazon.com/LCD-Handheld...cilloscopes/dp/B0CDP9L88R/?tag=wranglerorg-20

200 or 400 KHZ bandwidth isn't good for much of the stuff I'd do with one. Digi scopes are all over the place in ease of use - many of them have too much buried in menus, but there are digital scopes that drive much like an analog scope - but they ain't cheep...

my brother's girlfriend ended up with her dad's old scope when he died last year. It's now in my brothers garage taking up quite a bit of space.

PXL_20240412_214259317.jpg

I didn't look too hard for a manufacture date but I found some enthusiast sites online that suggest it might be from the 60s. The font reminds me of aviation/space travel.

• Love
Reactions: RocknLJ and Zorba
my brother's girlfriend ended up with her dad's old scope when he died last year. It's now in my brothers garage taking up quite a bit of space.

View attachment 518950

I didn't look too hard for a manufacture date but I found some enthusiast sites online that suggest it might be from the 60s. The font reminds me of aviation/space travel.

Oh, FUCK yea! :love:(y)

Reactions: RocknLJ

View attachment 518950

Nice scope I have an old dual channel Tektronix I use for working on vintage tube guitar amplifiers. Might have to invest in one of the new hand held ones some day. LOL