Sab-a-dab-a-doo! The back-country LJ build has officially started

Today's progress:
  1. Decided to dump the 1 gallon aluminum air tank and go with the ARB Mini Compressor (build list in Post 1 updated)
  2. Decided to dump the Bussmann secondary PDC and get a Switch Pros 12-switch system (build list in Post 1 updated)
  3. Pulled the fuel tank to fix a cracked filler neck (more on that below)
Thanks for helping me spend more money on parts! :)

Switch Pros kit is pretty darned awesome. You won't be sorry.

Reactions: sab
Has anyone successfully repaired similar damage?
Sure, I just do it the easy way.
1714352413732.png

Don't let the color confuse you. When we remove one, we paint all the fittings as soon as we remove them to protect them from sun rotting UV which will turn them to dust in short order.

Why do you prefer switchpros over something like Auxbeam?

Auxbeam provides terminals for the functions so they can easily be swapped out if desired which is one of the things that has been beneficial with my older sPod. Auxbeam I believe is much cheaper.

Is there something I’m missing?

View attachment 522476

An immediate assessment I can make about the Auxbeam is that it does not begin to cost enough for it to be a good quality piece of equipment. That does not mean everyone should only use the 3-4x more expensive SwitchPros. Just understand that piecing together your own basic traditional fuse and relay switching with decent components that are also appropriate for the application will easily exceed what Auxbeam has built to a low price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrblaine
Well, gents, I’ve suffered a setback. I had a PTO day to burn, so I took yesterday off with the hopes of making some build progress on a three-day weekend. I started yesterday by heading to a rental property I have to do some minor maintenance between tenants. I had about a hundred small bricks in the garage there and decided to move them home. I loaded them up and drove home. While unloading them, my back started to ache, which is not uncommon. However, by the time I was done, it was intense, sharp pain.

I went into the house, took three Advil, and lay on the floor to stretch a bit. The Advil never “kicked” in. I spent the day not moving much, in the hopes it would improve. Eventually, I dipped into some left over happy pills from a knee surgery a few years back. Those only dulled the pain enough that I wasn’t in constant agony.

I’m typing this from bed on my iPad because when I got up in the middle of the night to pee, I nearly passed out from the pain. I think I slipped a disk. It’s gotten worse - not better - overnight. I’m waiting for the pill to kick in so that I can get up and move around a bit, but it looks like no progress for me this weekend! :mad:

Well, gents, I’ve suffered a setback. I had a PTO day to burn, so I took yesterday off with the hopes of making some build progress on a three-day weekend. I started yesterday by heading to a rental property I have to do some minor maintenance between tenants. I had about a hundred small bricks in the garage there and decided to move them home. I loaded them up and drove home. While unloading them, my back started to ache, which is not uncommon. However, by the time I was done, it was intense, sharp pain.

I went into the house, took three Advil, and lay on the floor to stretch a bit. The Advil never “kicked” in. I spent the day not moving much, in the hopes it would improve. Eventually, I dipped into some left over happy pills from a knee surgery a few years back. Those only dulled the pain enough that I wasn’t in constant agony.

I’m typing this from bed on my iPad because when I got up in the middle of the night to pee, I nearly passed out from the pain. I think I slipped a disk. It’s gotten worse - not better - overnight. I’m waiting for the pill to kick in so that I can get up and move around a bit, but it looks like no progress for me this weekend! :mad:

Sorry to hear that, Dude. Has this happened before?

Reactions: Wildman

That does not sound like fun. Go see a doctor or a PT if you can?

Few years ago .. it was winter time and I did some deadlifts in the gym. Nothing too crazy, in the normal range I was lifting at the time. Did not over strain or anything, everything went well, finished the gym session, went home, showered, ate and worked a bit on the computer. Then I got up to feed my cats, bent down as normal to empty the can of wet food and I pulled something deep in the lower back (Quadratus Lumborum for those interested). I could not move any way without wanting to yell. It was unbelievably intense and I really thought I did something stupid in the gym without realizing it. I got to the floor and crawled to my bedroom on all fours, somehow managed to get up and put a pillow for my head and just laid on the floor that night (I am used to sleeping on the floor when I grew up so wasn't something new).

The pain took 2 days to to subside to somewhat tolerable levels where I could move gingerly. I was careful not to overexert, I took 2 days off work because I could NOT imagine sitting in front of a computer for even short periods. After a few days I could move enough to get into my small passenger car I had at the time and very carefully drove to go see a PT that I had worked with before to make sure I did not damage anything major. They checked me out, figured which muscle group was strained and locked up and thankfully said no major damage. I was told keep moving as much as I can and get enough bloodflow into the area since it was a pretty deep interior muscle. After about 10 days ..., the pain subsided and eventually felt normal and I resumed normal activities again.

I asked the PT if I fucked up doing my deadlifts and they said not necessarily. Sometimes we develop imbalances and if not self-corrected, one group of muscles weaker relative to the rest. And in these situations, for many combined reasons the brain can act to stiffen up that weaker muscle group if it senses potential damage and since everything is linked things get messy quickly. Mostly the body knows what to do, but sometimes intentional correction and learning is needed to get things working as they should. His general comment was that with folks that sit too much at their desks (ie folks like me), more care needs to be taken to both strengthen and keep flexible all the major muscle groups and joints. I have kept that in mind since then while exercising and try not to sit for long periods without moving around.

Like Blaine says for our jeeps, balanced operation is key for the body too! :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, Dude. Has this happened before?

Yes, something similar happened about 15 or 16 years ago. I ended up working with a chiropractor for months afterwards to rehabilitate my back. It was disk damage. Until yesterday, I’ve had no issues. My hunting partner has been telling me for years that I need to work on core strength, and I know he’s right, but I’ve had a hard time motivating myself to do so. Preventing this little incident may be proper motivation - or not. I’m incredibly immune to good sense sometimes (just ask Mrs. sab…)