School me on a lift (the shop kind, not the Savvy kind)

You guys with the tall garages and lots of space make me so jealous.

I have to share the garage with my wife's car, and only have an 8ft ceiling, so I ended up with a set of quick jacks. Better than nothing, but still end up on my back, and block access from the sides.
View attachment 487715

I just picked up a set of barely used quick jacks from a coworker. Haven't tried them yet. They are the 7k ones with all the SUV adapters. Seemed like it'd be worth the $500 they cost me.

I also have a BendPak 2 post 10k lift, love it. I have a 12' ceiling and find that allows me to lift my LJ on 5" extensions and stand up for most tasks under it, but watch you head for hanging bits! I had a local installer put it in for $500 and I couldn't be happier running on 4 years now of use. I had to get the cables adjusted once.

Reactions: 1904-06LJR
I just picked up a set of barely used quick jacks from a coworker. Haven't tried them yet. They are the 7k ones with all the SUV adapters. Seemed like it'd be worth the $500 they cost me.

That is a killer price. At that price they are a no-brainer. I really like how easy they are to use and that I can store them away, and they feel really stable. I have the 7k long version so I can fit the Charger on them. The Jeep fits, but it is a tight fit to get them between the wheels.

Reactions: Apparition
That is a killer price. At that price they are a no-brainer. I really like how easy they are to use and that I can store them away, and they feel really stable. I have the 7k long version so I can fit the Charger on them. The Jeep fits, but it is a tight fit to get them between the wheels.

I figured they'd be nice for my Mustang and the wife's Escape. Don't know if they'll work for the LJ's and they won't work on the F350.

I can always sell them and make a bit of cash if I don't like them.

Reactions: gbirk
I bought an old 1980's Rotary for $700 and love it. I found it on Craigslist...a shop was upgrading and selling off the old stuff. I can't stand working on my back either. The one thing I would add is to have a high garage door and a jack shaft garage door opener. In the summer I can keep the door open with the jeep on the lift no problem. Old, crusty, and made in the USA.

Thanks bud! I've been hunting around CL for a bit. After reading some suggestions here, checking with other tool forums and after speaking to a friend of a friend, the baseplate-open top will be my best option for my rafter ceiling. Now just to find one. Seems there's a little truth to most later model lifts being sourced from overseas, then checked and assembled here. I do like the single release option and some of the two post 10k price tags compete with a similar 9k price tags. No real rush here so hopefully a used one pops up. I'm never that lucky though... 😆

Reactions: hosejockey61
No real rush here so hopefully a used one pops up.

I don't know what to tell you about finding these people, but I know a guy whose business is changing out and maintaining shop equipment. A few times a year he will have a lift or two from some garage cycling them out. Try to find someone doing that if you want to keep it budget friendly.