What is this sensor?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Anyone know what this sensor is? It's on the air intake tube on my 05 Rubicon. My Banks air intake doesn't have a provision for it so I'm curious to know if it's even needed or not?

image.jpeg

Okay I found out this is the IAT sensor. From 97-04 these were installed on the intake manifold, but in 05-06 they moved them to the intake tube because apparently that was a more accurate place to get an air temperature from.

Reactions: wkelley70
Yes the IAT sensor is definitely needed, go back to the OE tube. :)

Jerry, my TJ came with the banks air intake and my IAT plug has been unplugged ever since I bought it without me even knowing.

Oddly enough it runs just fine without it plugged in and has no CELs at all. However, I ditched the intake for the supercharger and went back to the stock intake tube so now my IAT sensor is plugged back in.

Just came across this, so am reviving an old thread. Interesting to hear that "from 97-04 these were installed on the intake manifold, but in 05-06 they moved them to the intake tube because apparently that was a more accurate place to get an air temperature from."

Is there any benefit to relocating mine?

Just came across this, so am reviving an old thread. Interesting to hear that "from 97-04 these were installed on the intake manifold, but in 05-06 they moved them to the intake tube because apparently that was a more accurate place to get an air temperature from."

Is there any benefit to relocating mine?

Not unless you know how to tune the pcm for the temp reading differences. This relates to your timing thread. The pcm uses intake temp readings to adjust timing and other things. You don't want to change positions and screw up your timing

Reactions: SSTJ
It would be interesting to know the difference between ambient temp in the airbox or intake tube and at the hot manifold location. Air is going pretty fast through the intake so it's not going to be the so hot don't touch temp of the manifold. What would the expected result be from the PCM using a lower air temp reading to set parameters? Apparently Chris ran for some time with his IAT sensor just hanging in the engine bay somewhere with no bad result.

Reactions: SSTJ
Not unless you know how to tune the pcm for the temp reading differences. This relates to your timing thread. The pcm uses intake temp readings to adjust timing and other things. You don't want to change positions and screw up your timing

Makes good sense, thanks. I'm now realizing that the link above, and the other result I got via Google, were both for YJs anyway.

Last edited: