What is your socket organization method?

I had those saved for years because several people online were raving about them, but i never pulled the trigger. One thing that stopped me was they don't appear to have any retention, as in the sockets just sit there and don't lock in or anything (correct me if I'm wrong). At first I was ok with that, but the more I considered it, the more I think I want the sockets secured to the rail/tray.

You are right, no retention. It works for me because the tray never leaves the drawer. Retention type systems would actually be a hassle in my situation.

Reactions: WVJeep304
You are right, no retention. It works for me because the tray never leaves the drawer. Retention type systems would actually be a hassle in my situation.
That's where I've been torn. Part of me agrees with you on it being a hassle. But sometimes I pull a whole rail out for a job. Plus, I worry about them falling over in the drawer when opening/closing.

I may buy one of the Westling (or similar) and one of the Ernst and see which I like best. I hate that the Westling Machine stuff got so expensive though.

I run ones like this from Harbor Freight in black and red. The down side is I can't see the size when it's in the drawer. I have to eyeball it to get close and then go from there if I'm wrong.
View attachment 500322

That's the type I use too. I simply have all of my SAE sockets on the left and Metric on the right. all of the odd stuff meets in the middle.

Husky - 18.JPG

mine is a 3 drawer kobalt, but similar in concept. I need a dedicated location for every piece, that only that piece will correctly fit in, so I can see at a glance what's missing. I've tried the strip things but since any socket can go in any spot it just ends up scrambled until I give up and stop putting them back.

View attachment 500340

I am trying the strips for the kit that rides along in the Jeep, because I don't intend to use it except on the trail. I got tired of the weight and space taken up by the Kobalt kit.

Get some foam and cut out what you need. I used spray glue to glue the black foam to the red foam. Most of the black was cut out before gluing, but some was done afterwards. Once you cut it, pliers pulls it off the glue easy enough. It was tedious and time consuming but fun and satisfying at the same time. I wish I could remember where I got this foam from but that’s was about 14 years ago when I did it. I might be able to find the envelope that the place sent me samples in to see who it was. I won’t be able to until this weekend though.

I used to have more drawers like this, like my pliers drawer but then I ended up getting a lot more kinds of pliers and such and had to change over to those wire racks.

Some of those wrench rail things double-sided taped to the foam works well enough for 3 wrench drawers I have.

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8215.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

IMG_8217.jpeg

That's where I've been torn. Part of me agrees with you on it being a hassle. But sometimes I pull a whole rail out for a job. Plus, I worry about them falling over in the drawer when opening/closing.

I may buy one of the Westling (or similar) and one of the Ernst and see which I like best. I hate that the Westling Machine stuff got so expensive though.

I have never had one tip over in my box. My only complain is cost. Maybe it’s in the buy once cry once category.

I'm similar in this aspect. I can't stand for a retention rail to hold my sockets/tools.
I want to quickly grab a tool WITHOUT disturbing everything else.

However, it does become a bit of a nuisance when packing the toolbag to throw in the Jeep.
Everything tends to just free-fall around the bag by the time I get out the driveway.

I wish I could remember where I got this foam from but that’s was about 14 years ago when I did it. I might be able to find the envelope that the place sent me samples in to see who it was. I won’t be able to until this weekend though.

I remembered where some of my samples were. Cascade Tool and Foam is where I got my foam from, in 2011.

http://toolfoam.com/default.asp

Website seems to work but no idea if they are still in business.

Looks like I got:

3 sheets of 27” x 108” x 1/2” thick black 4-lb foam.

3 sheets of 27” x 108” x 1/4” thick red 4-lb foam.

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8248.jpeg

IMG_8249.jpeg

Last edited:
I remembered where some of my samples were. Cascade Tool and Foam is where I got my foam from, in 2011.

http://toolfoam.com/default.asp

Looks like I got:

3 sheets of 27” x 108” x 1/2” thick black 4-lb foam.

3 sheets of 27” x 108” x 1/4” thick red 4-lb foam.

View attachment 501115

View attachment 501116

View attachment 501118

Nice setup, thanks for the link. I’ve always wanted to do this, but have never come up with a good way to cut the foam without tearing it or making it look sloppy.

Any words of advice there? Maybe the foam is more rigid like flower arrangement foam vs soft like upholstery foam?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Nice setup, thanks for the link. I’ve always wanted to do this, but have never come up with a good way to cut the foam without tearing it or making it look sloppy.

Any words of advice there? Maybe the foam is more rigid like flower arrangement foam vs soft like upholstery foam?

I bought a hot knife from Harbor Freight and use it to cut foam for hard shell gun cases. I'm sure you could use it for this as well. It takes a little practice, but cuts cleanly. Just whatever you do, wear a mask and work in a well ventilated area. I've been a firefighter for almost 14yrs and to this day some of the worst, most overpowering smoke I've ever experienced came while using a hot knife to cut foam.

• Wow
Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I bought a hot knife from Harbor Freight and use it to cut foam for hard shell gun cases. I'm sure you could use it for this as well. It takes a little practice, but cuts cleanly. Just whatever you do, wear a mask and work in a well ventilated area. I've been a firefighter for almost 14yrs and to this day some of the worst, most overpowering smoke I've ever experienced came while using a hot knife to cut foam.

I built a diy hot wire cutter for gun case foam. It’s pretty easy to do. Like this one.

Tabletop Hot Wire Foam Cutter for Foam Sponge Portable Lightweight Hot Wire Foam Cutting Machine Styrofoam Cutter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPBTKK61?tag=wranglerorg-20

I built a diy hot wire cutter for gun case foam. It’s pretty easy to do. Like this one.

Tabletop Hot Wire Foam Cutter for Foam Sponge Portable Lightweight Hot Wire Foam Cutting Machine Styrofoam Cutter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPBTKK61?tag=wranglerorg-20

I initially looked at buying a hot wire cutter, but the cost was higher than I wanted to invest at the time. If I find myself cutting foam more frequently, I'll definitely go that route for sure. I know it makes a much cleaner cut and is easier to guide than a hot knife. I despise cutting gun case foam more than anything, but not a huge fan of pick n pull, so I guess it will continue to be a necessary evil in my life

It’s a pretty stiff foam. It squishes if you squeeze it, but it’s not like that really squishy foam that comes in some of the hard plastic cases with the perforated squares that you pull out to fit the shape of whatever you’re going to put in there, if that makes sense.

As far as cutting, I just used an exacto knife. It surprising how the foam Dulles the blades so I had a pack of blades so I could change them out as needed.

I measured my drawers, cut the sizes out on top of a piece of plywood using a square for a good clean edge. Then figured out where I wanted my tools, traced the tools with a sharpie, then started cutting. Once everything was cut out, I sprayed the top layer of foam I had just cut out with some spray adhesive, laid it on top of my base layer, put that piece of plywood on top and some weight to hold it all down good. I wish I could remember what spray adhesive I used, but I don’t have any more of it left. I do know it was a 3M brand.

Reactions: Mike_H
I initially looked at buying a hot wire cutter, but the cost was higher than I wanted to invest at the time. If I find myself cutting foam more frequently, I'll definitely go that route for sure. I know it makes a much cleaner cut and is easier to guide than a hot knife. I despise cutting gun case foam more than anything, but not a huge fan of pick n pull, so I guess it will continue to be a necessary evil in my life

When I did mine I bought the components at my local radio shack and Home Depot. It’s pretty ghetto but works great.

Now you could buy this and mod it into a bigger one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSRQL8K?tag=wranglerorg-20

That foam is called Kaizen Foam. I think FastCap was the first to call it Kaizen foam (I first saw it called that on their web site years back, and then other sites started popping up with it). FastCap is a supplier to the woodworking industry, and they are all in on the Japanese concept of lean manufacturing. "Kaizen" translated from Japanese to English is something like "continuously improving." One of the concepts of lean manufacturing is keeping a clean, orderly workspace with tools arranged for efficiency of movement. Tools having a permanent location and being immediately replaced in it after use is how Kaizen Foam came to be.

Here's FastCaps page on their Kaizen Foam offerings:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/kaizen-foam?cat=325

There are likely cheaper options, but they have other related items on their web site, and I they have many how to videos, too.

Opinionated note - I have a LOT of tools, and even with 8 or 9 medium to large tool cabinets, I don't have enough drawer space. I like the foam because it helps keep the tools in place from opening and closing drawers. However, I don't use it because it wastes too much space, and I'm always buying new tools, so my drawer contents change frequently. The foam really only works if you have ample drawer space, and don't add tools frequently. It's often used on automotive production lines, which is where it really shines.

"Kaizen" translated from Japanese to English is something like "continuously improving." One of the concepts of lean manufacturing is keeping a clean, orderly workspace with tools arranged for efficiency of movement. Tools having a permanent location and being immediately replaced in it after use is how Kaizen Foam came to be.

my worlds are colliding seeing that word here.

• Haha
Reactions: sab
That foam is called Kaizen Foam. I think FastCap was the first to call it Kaizen foam (I first saw it called that on their web site years back, and then other sites started popping up with it). FastCap is a supplier to the woodworking industry, and they are all in on the Japanese concept of lean manufacturing. "Kaizen" translated from Japanese to English is something like "continuously improving." One of the concepts of lean manufacturing is keeping a clean, orderly workspace with tools arranged for efficiency of movement. Tools having a permanent location and being immediately replaced in it after use is how Kaizen Foam came to be.

There are likely cheaper options, but they have other related items on their web site, and I they have many how to videos, too.

Opinionated note - I have a LOT of tools, and even with 8 or 9 medium to large tool cabinets, I don't have enough drawer space. I like the foam because it helps keep the tools in place from opening and closing drawers. However, I don't use it because it wastes too much space, and I'm always buying new tools, so my drawer contents change frequently. The foam really only works if you have ample drawer space, and don't add tools frequently. It's often used on automotive production lines, which is where it really shines.

Our tool boxes in the Air Force was the first time I had seen it like that, and I loved it. Those boxes rarely ever changed and only had the tools and tech data in them that we needed for loading aircraft. Every box had the same lay out across all the squadrons. I can only remember them changing when they decided to get all new boxes for every squadron.

Most of my stuff has been the same for many years, but I have changed up a couple drawers when I ended up with more stuff, mostly pliers and sockets.

Well said.