Why the Insulation on Wire Connectors?

I've always had success with twist then solder with heat shrink insulation on top of that.
1709053424046.png

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket and sab
Had you gone to the link I posted, you would have discovered that we are in fact not talking about the same thing at all. I referenced the dual zone crimp that gets the wire strands and then another section over the insulation for strain relief along with funnel entry for easier wire insertion.
View attachment 504636

I have and use a lot of that style butt connector. I also have and use a ton of the solid and brazed barrel non insulated style with separately applied adhesive lined heat shrink in 3-1 ratio. They both have their place. The combo style is faster but bulkier. The other one is far less bulky which matters when you're trying to get a harness through a grommet or you don't want your loom to resemble a python that just ate your neighbor's dog.

Nice I’ll look into this soon. I’ve mostly avoided the stuffed python look by offsetting the heat shrink connectors, but that’s not ideal.

I’ll look into the skinnier options and properly read some threads, like this one, soon.

Nice I’ll look into this soon. I’ve mostly avoided the stuffed python look by offsetting the heat shrink connectors, but that’s not ideal.
No, staggered splices are always the better way to reduce bulk using butt connectors. That isn't the issue, the issue arises when something bad has happened and we can't stagger the splices.
I’ll look into the skinnier options and properly read some threads, like this one, soon.
That'll help.

Reactions: MikeE024
Here was a place something bad had happened and I couldn't stagger. Working with about 4-5" and 9 wires all grounded with one ring terminal. I carefully removed the connectors, used non-insulated butt connectors, heat shrink wrapped, then separated the 9 wires into two ring terminals. Not shown is the larger heat shrink wrap that I used to cover each of the two groups of wires. Blah.

IMG_2384.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg