Wideband O2 Sensors

Great, point. I'll add that to the OP.

FWIW, Isaiah at FRP tells me that if I ever tune my 97, I'll need to use SCT, not HP. I may call him back to get clarification on that.

You will still need software for data logging and can use the HPt software. There are others you can use also.

FRP doesn't sell the SCT X3 tuner anymore but still writes tunes for them. I don't know if SCT makes the X3 tuner anymore either. I'd check and if they don't start looking for a used one.

Reactions: SSTJ
Do the AEM gauges always flicker like that?

It's not actually flickering it's the camera trying to record the LED lights. It's the same if you watch some videos where people have LED headlights and they appear to flicker.

Led lights flicker in the camera due to the stroboscopic effect. When the video frame rate (FPS) does not match the light frequency at which the LEDs turn on and off per second, the screen starts to flicker. It seems that there is a problem with the screen, even though there is nothing wrong with it.
https://ledstore.pro/blog/2023/02/0... to the stroboscopic,is nothing wrong with it.

If you are using HPT for your tuning something new I learned today was that they locked you out of certain parts of the software until you took their Emission training and then linked your device to your completed training.

https://www.hptuners.com/emissions/...fuewMtOuY4zK_E5lJOMigPEQ0PcJiBqnQnar7mvX_l5Ge

Not a huge deal to take nor to pass the tests and get your certificate # from them.

Interesting.seems like their way of avoiding liability similar to the diesel tuners fiasco

Interesting.seems like their way of avoiding liability similar to the diesel tuners fiasco

It is exactly. I guess from what others had said HPT was coming under fire from the EPA. The EPA has taken down some good companies over the past 10+ years for BS reasons IMO.

But it's like when engine swaps come up in conversation I try to explain that if you choose to swap in a engine older that your vehicle you run the chance of it being deemed not licensable at some point in the future, While I don't agree with many of the EPA rules they are what they are.

Innovate Motorsports is another good company for systems. If you don't care about the gauge but want to do data logging they offer this.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/lm-2-basic-kit.html

Or Zeltronix has some different options also. Don't know if they still do but they used to off a gauge the you could have your A/F displayed & boost on the same gauge.

https://www.zeitronix.com/index.html
And there is Autometer of course.
https://www.autometer.com/gauges.html?gauge_gauge=6502
I've read mixed reviews on Glowshift gauges but they are a less expensive.

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/wideband-air-fuel-ratio-gauges/

And as you're finding there are many other brands available also. I went with the AEM partly because of it interfacing with HPT but also because I had their transmission temperature gauge so wanted them to match.

Another vote for AEM. I run the 30-0300 X-Series wideband and 30-0306 boost gauge with an HP Tuners ProLink for logging. Has worked flawlessly for years now, even exposed to the elements on the A pillar.

@Wildman

Could you send that screenshot of what sensor brands the HP software supports? I don't have Windows.

1714334413079.png

Here ya go.

I guess if you don't have a Windows computer then HPT software doesn't work for you as well?

Back when I'd first started looking into doing data logging and such the GOTO was the Innovate LM-1 or LM-2 but to record your information you had to have an Apple product since they didn't support Windows. So I had a small iPad for just that option. There are of course lots of options out there now when it comes to data logging.

Here ya go.

Great, thanks. I'll link to this in the OP.

I guess if you don't have a Windows computer then HPT software doesn't work for you as well?

I figure I'll find a way to run Windows through a browser, like an Amazon Workspace account or something.

Back when I'd first started looking into doing data logging and such the GOTO was the Innovate LM-1 or LM-2 but to record your information you had to have an Apple product since they didn't support Windows. So I had a small iPad for just that option. There are of course lots of options out there now when it comes to data logging.

Oh nice. I'll look into Apple options too then.

Does Apple not support Boot Camp anymore so you can dual boot into Windows/MacOS? I haven't had a MacBook in a while but I used to have both operating systems on it and it worked seamlessly, you'd just select which one to boot when you turned it on. That would be the best way to go, imo... and Windows is essentially free now.

Or you can run a windows virtual machine inside MacOS like Parallels, if it's still around. Although I'd be more hesitant of reading/writing to a PCM with a virtual machine or remote desktop or anything like that. I don't know if there's any real risk but I'd be afraid of a mid-write interruption and a bricked PCM.

Does Apple not support Boot Camp anymore so you can dual boot into Windows/MacOS? I haven't had a MacBook in a while but I used to have both operating systems on it and it worked seamlessly, you'd just select which one to boot when you turned it on. That would be the best way to go, imo... and Windows is essentially free now.

Or you can run a windows virtual machine inside MacOS like Parallels, if it's still around. Although I'd be more hesitant of reading/writing to a PCM with a virtual machine or remote desktop or anything like that. I don't know if there's any real risk but I'd be afraid of a mid-write interruption and a bricked PCM.

Oh I don't know. I just use a remote Windows desktop for work, so it's what's familiar.

If I learn more I'll start another thread about tuning from a Mac.

Reactions: Wildman