Every Generation Of Jeep Wrangler, Ranked Worst To Best

I can’t control the path your brain takes things, but I can certainly explain my reasoning if you’re interested.

I specifically chose the TJ when I made the purchase for exploring AZ and tinkering (I enjoy wrenching even more than I like to wheel). The TJ is perfect for me on many fronts.

The TJ stays with me till one of us meets our end. There’s also sentimental value involved that I’ll keep private. If you read my comment again, you’ll plainly see that I never claimed it’s the best platform or how others should feel about it. But, it is the best

I can’t control the path your brain takes things, but I can certainly explain my reasoning if you’re interested.

I specifically chose the TJ when I made the purchase for exploring AZ and tinkering (I enjoy wrenching even more than I like to wheel). The TJ is perfect for me on many fronts.

The TJ stays with me till one of us meets our end. There’s also sentimental value involved that I’ll keep private. If you read my comment again, you’ll plainly see that I never claimed it’s the best platform or how others should feel about it. But, it is the best for me.

Sounds good to me!

• USA Proud
Reactions: MikeE024
I've heard rumors of the next gen Wrangler having a Hurricane. Do you have something against the 3.6?

Yea there’s been rumors for a bit now. I’m not currently in the market for another vehicle, but the tech nerd in me wants to see it happen.

I don’t have anything necessarily “against the 3.6L,” but the Hurricane excites me more than the 392.

Edit: I’m simply attracted to the power and efficiency attributes of the Hurricane over the 3.6L and 392.

Last edited:
Yea there’s been rumors for a bit now. I’m not currently in the market for another vehicle, but the tech nerd in me wants to see it happen.

I don’t have anything necessarily “against the 3.6L,” but the Hurricane excites me more than the 392.

Edit: I’m simply attracted to the power and efficiency attributes of the Hurricane over the 3.6L and 392.

I drove a Wagoneer recently. The Hurricane is for real. A wonderfully smooth, great sounding, and very powerful engine.

It's huge though - getting it into the JL will be a chore.

The 3.6 works great behind the 8 speed. That transmission is the best Jeep tranny every.

I drove a Wagoneer recently. The Hurricane is for real. A wonderfully smooth, great sounding, and very powerful engine.

It's huge though - getting it into the JL will be a chore.

The 3.6 works great behind the 8 speed. That transmission is the best Jeep tranny every.

Transmission improvements have been a game changer for many vehicles…glad to hear that’s the case with the Wrangler.

I just can't wait for the new Jeep Bronco EV.........um.....Recon. :rolleyes: I hope Joe is putting charging stations in the wilderness.

https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/recon-ev

1712660455501.png

Reactions: RangerTJ
Why? I haven't driven one of the hybrids, but the Wranglers get good marks for power and drivability.

Can't stand the regen braking and if you aren't getting the most out of that then I don't see the point. Regen braking can be adjusted somehow, I couldn't find it while driving.

The regen braking coupled with the Dodge/Jeep adaptive cruise makes it even worse.

The adaptive cruise on my F350 works significantly better.

I also kept not knowing if it was on or off so we'd get somewhere and I'd not shut it off until the chimes came on from opening the door.

Power I had no complaints.

As far as plugging it in if I had 240V charging available it would have taken over 2 hours to fully charge, I didn't see what the max electric range was.

I didn't have 240V so I didn't try charging it as it would have taken even longer and I didn't see a convenient outlet at the airbnb.

Interior wise it was decent, I don't like how they did the buttons. My F350 has buttons for everything.

With enough time I'm sure I'd get used to it but nothing about it made me think I should buy one.

Power was OK, no complaints there. Steering feedback non existent, did not like that.

Can't stand the regen braking and if you aren't getting the most out of that then I don't see the point. Regen braking can be adjusted somehow, I couldn't find it while driving.

The regen braking coupled with the Dodge/Jeep adaptive cruise makes it even worse.

I also kept not knowing if it was on or off so we'd get somewhere and I'd not shut it off until the chimes came on from opening the door.

As far as plugging it in if I had 240V charging available it would have taken over 2 hours to fully charge, I didn't see what the max electric range was.

I didn't have 240V so I didn't try charging it as it would have taken even longer and I didn't see a convenient outlet at the airbnb.

Interior wise it was decent, I don't like how they did the buttons. My F350 has buttons for everything.

With enough time I'm sure I'd get used to it but nothing about it made me think I should buy one.

Power was OK, no complaints there. Steering feedback non existent, did not like that.

Thanks!

You drive an F350? Can you help me move my house 5 feet to the left? 🤣

Just picked up Jeep #17 last week. Yes, 17.

Went with a low-mileage 2015 JKU Rubicon with a full AEV build.

I’ve owned nearly every CJ/Wrangler but a flat fender or a YJ. I’ve had an early CJ-5, a late CJ-5, a DJ-5, a CJ-7, a TJ Sport and a TJ Rubicon and three LJs. I’ve also had a 2011 JK Rubicon, a 2012 JKU Sport, a 2015 JKU Willys and a 2018 JL Rubicon. I’ve also had an XJ and two WJs.

Why did I go back to a JK?

I think next to the YJ, they’re the most undervalued. I think the JL platform, while amazing, is stupid expensive, as is the aftermarket for it. And if I’m not looking for a 3rd vehicle, the TJ and older has too many compromises for me personally. I prefer much of the TJ to a JK, but I just wouldn’t want to live with one as my primary vehicle. The JK hits the sweet spot for me between the levels of refinement in the TJ and JL.

Just picked up Jeep #17 last week. Yes, 17.

Went with a low-mileage 2015 JKU Rubicon with a full AEV build.

I’ve owned nearly every CJ/Wrangler but a flat fender or a YJ. I’ve had an early CJ-5, a late CJ-5, a DJ-5, a CJ-7, a TJ Sport and a TJ Rubicon and three LJs. I’ve also had a 2011 JK Rubicon, a 2012 JKU Sport, a 2015 JKU Willys and a 2018 JL Rubicon. I’ve also had an XJ and two WJs.

Why did I go back to a JK?

I think next to the YJ, they’re the most undervalued. I think the JL platform, while amazing, is stupid expensive, as is the aftermarket for it. And if I’m not looking for a 3rd vehicle, the TJ and older has too many compromises for me personally. I prefer much of the TJ to a JK, but I just wouldn’t want to live with one as my primary vehicle. The JK hits the sweet spot for me between the levels of refinement in the TJ and JL.

I can see that from a point of view. I do agree, they are kind of under valued, in that you can usually look and find one at a good price. Daily Driver I definitely get it, especially with a hard top. My son's JK, even with the Soft Top, and we put a Double Din, he can now talk on the phone easily hands free, and the Apple Car Play is game Changer for him

I don't understand the hate for the YJ. It is almost as classic as the CJ. The interior is so retro it makes me smile every time. The suspension is stiff but it's actually fun going over bumps. It's pretty nimble. if someone wants a smooth comfy ride, why are they buying a Wrangler in the first place?

There's nothing wrong with the rectangle headlights. XJ's and FJ 62's have them which is good enough company for me.

Reactions: Zorba
I don't understand the hate for the YJ. It is almost as classic as the CJ. The interior is so retro it makes me smile every time. The suspension is stiff but it's actually fun going over bumps. It's pretty nimble. if someone wants a smooth comfy ride, why are they buying a Wrangler in the first place?

There's nothing wrong with the rectangle headlights. XJ's and FJ 62's have them which is good enough company for me.

The YJ interior is far superior to the TJ in my estimation. Yea, the "bumper pad" is fugly, but the dash itself is nice.