Higher horses, higher revs & even higher torque, a streetable LJ engine swap

I’m not looking forward to the day it’s time to replace my Dssv shocks on the ZR2.

Be careful towing with that colorado mike....

download (6).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket
Buy a Ford! Thankfully Fords have replaceable parts. (Mainly because it's not awesome from the factory lol).

A lot of guys have been buying kings (who make a "standard" shock for the ZR2). I guess its about the same cost as the DSSV's (which are dealer only). Mine are still in good shape, but they aren't easily rebuildable.

I didn’t know a Colorado would be up to towing a jeep. How’s it do? What’s the tow capacity?

Its pretty decent. Plenty of power and brakes. Little bit soft on the rear springs (which is why I'd like a WD setup). Trans and Coolant stay at normal temps, fuel milage goes to shit (but then again, they all do). The Z71 and other colorados actually have a 7200 lb tow rating. My ZR2 is derated a little (to 5K), but I figure the Jeep and trailer is probably right around 5500 lbs. My axle ratings are WAY higher than the overall tow rating, and the powertrain is the same as a "regular" Colorado (aside from the radiator they made shorter to improve approach angle). Its a pretty stress free experience. Its not a Full Size diesel, but it aint bad.

Its pretty decent. Plenty of power and brakes. Little bit soft on the rear springs (which is why I'd like a WD setup). Trans and Coolant stay at normal temps, fuel milage goes to shit (but then again, they all do). The Z71 and other colorados actually have a 7200 lb tow rating. My ZR2 is derated a little (to 5K), but I figure the Jeep and trailer is probably right around 5500 lbs. My axle ratings are WAY higher than the overall tow rating, and the powertrain is the same as a "regular" Colorado (aside from the radiator they made shorter to improve approach angle). Its a pretty stress free experience. Its not a Full Size diesel, but it aint bad.

Have you towed it in any mountains?

Just the Appalachians. On one hand, I don't know that I'd want to tow over eisenhower with it...but on the other, I also think it would do fine and be able maintain 45 mph. I've never driven over the rockies though, so I don't really know.

The Rockies are a whole different animal. Be interesting to see how it did but I wouldn’t want to try it.

Plus coming down is pretty important too. One of the reasons I now have an engine brake.

Reactions: Mike_H
The Rockies are a whole different animal. Be interesting to see how it did but I wouldn’t want to try it.

Plus coming down is pretty important too. One of the reasons I now have an engine brake.

Truth be told, I’m kinda looking for an 06 LBZ from a southern state. I have a fair bit of towing ahead of me in the next few years, and I’m not sure I want to pay new truck prices for both the vehicle and the maintenance

You probably told me about them and I may have forgotten. But looked it up and that stuff is quite interesting.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1...-shocks-explained-inside-the-multimatic-dssv/

This highlighted bit in the article is not clear to me .. you know more, Mike?

View attachment 529473

If they are like what I think of when I think "spool valve" then they are valves controlling the flow of oil. So...in a typical hydraulic shock (like you have), the shims control the flow of oil through the pistion. Oil is incompressible, so, the shims MUST deflect to allow the piston to travel. Higer forces mean the shims deflect further. With a spool valve, its almost a pistion/cylinder assembly within the piston/cylinder assembly. Imagine the piston on a shaft moving in the body. The force on the wheel is pushing the shaft, which is pushing the piston. Oil, being incompressible, resists that motion, so it builds pressure. When the pressure reaches a high enough force, a spool valve opens and allows flow. A smaller piston, will slide in a bore, and allow oil to flow from one side to the next. So, you can "tune" with different poppet pressures to allow the spools to open at different forces.

1716607682109.png

Based on the section you highlighted, viscosity / temperature can affect a traditional shock negatively. Imagine pushing play-doh through a small hole vs. water. That is what viscosity does for you. Hotter oil is less viscous, therefore will flow more easily. In a traditional shock, you can get more flow with less deflection if you have thinner oil (which is why oil weight can be used in tuning). With a spool valve, since it takes pressure to unseat the valve, temperature is eliminated. It will take a certain amount of pressure to open that valve and viscosity related to temp is not a factor in pressure.

I think the DSSV's on my truck have three spools in them. I haven't really off-roaded the thing so I can't speak to that, but it does ride really nice on-road. doesn't seem to matter how fast I'm going or how big the bumps are, the chassis is always predictible and it feels planted.

Reactions: psrivats