Utah Moab 2024 JuneFest 9th-15th

Just an FYI - most radios have a squelch adjustment for just this scenario. It allows you to raise the minimum signal strength that triggers the receiver. The static you were hearing was a weak (distant) signal. Adjusting the squelch will tune that out, and the stronger (closer) signals will still get through.

I've also been able to hear kids using them as walkie talkies while we were wheeling.

Reactions: lBasket
Yeah it would be nice to not have to listen to all that. I spent a lot of last year with the radios off because of it

Squelch adjustment might help in that situation (only if the signal strength of the chatter is substantially lower than that of the wheeling group radios), but "Privacy Codes" is a better solution. Here's some more information on the difference, although you'll see they are related because they both affect the radio's way of handling squelch:

Squelch Control Adjustment
As I alluded to earlier, this changes the minimum signal strength required for the radio's receiver to listen to a signal and present it to you through the speaker. This control is especially useful for when you are hearing static, but can also work when chatter is from more distant radios. Adjust your squelch to ignore it. Back in the haydays of CB, the squelch control was a knob, just like volume. It was necessary because CB signals are different (AM and lower frequency - so much so that quarter-wavelength antennas are not very practical). As a result you heard a lot of static. It was easy to adjust squelch. When you heard static, you just turned the knob clockwise until the static stopped - done. With GMRS radios, very few have a knob specifically for squelch control because it's not nearly as necessary with the cleaner signals. If there's no squelch knob, you have to figure out how to change it, and some radios are very cumbersome, but typically, you're selecting a number from, say, 1 to 9, to set the squelch. So, to adjust it while receiving static, it's takes much more time. I wish more GMRS radio manufacturers would use a squelch knob.

"Privacy Codes"
As previously mentioned, you can use "Privacy Codes." That's in quotes because, as many people know, it's not really giving you privacy (any radio not using Privacy Codes will hear all transmissions, Privacy Coded or not.) There are two forms of these codes - digital and analog. I won't explain the difference between digital and analog here because I think it's become somewhat common in our computer-influenced lives. Guess what? Both of these methods also deal with squelch control! In fact, in their acronyms, there is a S that stands for squelch. The digital method is known as Digital Coded Squelch (DSC) and the analog method is known as Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System (CTCSS). How does it influence the radio's squelch control? The transmitting radio is set to transmit on an inaudible frequency, a digital or analog signal, along with the audible (voice) transmission. If the receiving radio has the same "Privacy Code" set, it will only "break squelch," or present the transmission to you through the speaker, if it detects this inaudible portion of the signal. So, again, it's important to understand squelch control. If you don't have CTCSS or DSC enabled, the radio's squelch control doesn't filter any transmissions out - you hear everything. Again, this is why using the word "privacy" isn't exactly true.

Squelch adjustment might help in that situation (only if the signal strength of the chatter is substantially lower than that of the wheeling group radios), but "Privacy Codes" is a better solution. Here's some more information on the difference, although you'll see they are related because they both affect the radio's way of handling squelch:

As I alluded to earlier, this changes the minimum signal strength required for the radio's receiver to listen to a signal and present it to you through the speaker. This control is especially useful for when you are hearing static, but can also work when chatter is from more distant radios. Adjust your squelch to ignore it. Back in the haydays of CB, the squelch control was a knob, just like volume. It was necessary because CB signals are different (AM and lower frequency - so much so that quarter-wavelength antennas are not very practical). As a result you heard a lot of static. It was easy to adjust squelch. When you heard static, you just turned the knob clockwise until the static stopped - done. With GMRS radios, very few have a knob specifically for squelch control because it's not nearly as necessary with the cleaner signals. If there's no squelch knob, you have to figure out how to change it, and some radios are very cumbersome, but typically, you're selecting a number from, say, 1 to 9, to set the squelch. So, to adjust it while receiving static, it's takes much more time. I wish more GMRS radio manufacturers would use a squelch knob.

"Privacy Codes"
As previously mentioned, you can use "Privacy Codes." That's in quotes because, as many people know, it's not really giving you privacy (any radio not using Privacy Codes will hear all transmissions, Privacy Coded or not.) There are two forms of these codes - digital and analog. I won't explain the difference between digital and analog here because I think it's become somewhat common in our computer-influenced lives. Guess what? Both of these methods also deal with squelch control! In fact, in their acronyms, there is a S that stands for squelch. The digital method is known as Digital Coded Squelch (DSC) and the analog method is known as Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System (CTCSS). How does it influence the radio's squelch control? The transmitting radio is set to transmit on an inaudible frequency, a digital or analog signal, along with the audible (voice) transmission. If the receiving radio has the same "Privacy Code" set, it will only "break squelch," or present the transmission to you through the speaker, if it detects this inaudible portion of the signal. So, again, it's important to understand squelch control. If you don't have CTCSS or DSC enabled, the radio's squelch control doesn't filter any transmissions out - you hear everything. Again, this is why using the word "privacy" isn't exactly true.

Oh cool this is interesting. Not really how I was imagining it worked. Interesting they call them privacy codes when everyone can still hear you lol. Sanity codes is more like it

Oh cool this is interesting. Not really how I was imagining it worked. Interesting they call them privacy codes when everyone can still hear you lol. Sanity codes is more like it

Well, the "Privacy Code" terminology is the marketing term that radio manufacturers use. If you look at the actual name for the two methods, they are pretty descriptive. Both terms address the fact that the codes are associated with the squelch system. I think that's easier to understand, but I'm a nerd. :cool:

"Privacy Codes"

Great explanation, Sab. I knew how this worked, but did not associate it with the squelch control. Learn every day.

Afternoon,
Thinking about our Moab trip.

1. I will be there Sun-Wednesday night. If you would like to cook instead of going out on some of those nights, please let me know. (I have to stay behind for baby duty.) I could get a menu together and see who wants to participate. Those who do, can chip in what they want for $. I obviously need to hit Susie’s and milts while I am there. :)

2. We should exchange numbers so we can be organized for trail meet ups, etc. How do you want to do this? Message Ryan and I and we can get a group chat out and list everyone in the text thread who is who?

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Afternoon,
Thinking about our Moab trip.

1. I will be there Sun-Wednesday night. If you would like to cook instead of going out on some of those nights, after hitting the trails, please let me know. I have to stay behind for baby duty. I could get a menu together and see who wants to participate. Those who do, can chip in what they want for $. I obviously need to hit Susie’s and milts while I am there. :)

2. We should exchange numbers so we can be organized for trail meet ups, etc. How do you want to do this? Message Ryan and I and we can get a group chat out and list everyone in the text thread who is who?

If everyone wants to PM their name and numbers I can start a text group for Moab. I have some of the attendees already.

@lBasket will you be setting up a photo dump folder again?

Reactions: Wildman and lBasket
If everyone wants to PM their name and numbers I can start a text group for Moab. I have some of the attendees already.

@lBasket will you be setting up a photo dump folder again?

Yep I can! I think I might be able to just create it and share a link... We'll have to test if that allows anyone else to add or just view.

Also, keep watching for cool Golden Crack parking and also going down Rusty Nail. Video doesn't do justice to how steep and undercut those steps are.

Watched that earlier but didn’t want to give anyone any ideas. Rory has a very well setup rig and he knows how to use it. He’s one of my favorite wheelers to watch. Almost as good as gnarbicon ;)

Reactions: gasiorv and Zorba
Figured since we have several people making reservations that we should create a dedicated thread.

The week of June 9th, 2024. This is an unofficial fest and not the normal TJ Fest which is typically in April.

A few of us will be at the KOA but stay wherever and we'll meet up for trails sometimes food.

Post if you have reservations and I'll add you to the list. Also post what trails you'd like to run and I'll compile that info.

Currently Reserved Attendees:
@Apparition
@Woodrow
@lBasket
@MagnumV8
@NOTNSUV
@genesmail2001
@NashvilleTJ
@taylormade73

Tentative trail schedule.

Sunday 9thMonday 10thTuesday 11thWednesday 12thThursday 13thFriday 14thSaturday 15th
Metal MasherFins & HellsTrifecta
Poison Spider
Golden Spike
Goldbar Rim
PritchettKane Creek
Behind the Rocks
Cliffhanger
Moab Rim

ArriveDepart
Apparition8th14th
Woodrow8th15th
MagnumV88th15th