Mummy bag tips for side sleepers

Bobohunter1776

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Recently decided to upgrade my backpacking sleep setup after 5+ years. Ended up buying a 15 degree Mountain Hardwear bag, and tested it out elk hunting this weekend. Nighttime lows were mid to low 40s. I wasn't necessarily cold, but definitely colder than I should've been in that bag. My guess is it's because I'm a side sleeper and usually end up in almost the fetal position. Anyone have any tips?

Recently decided to upgrade my backpacking sleep setup after 5+ years. Ended up buying a 15 degree Mountain Hardwear bag, and tested it out elk hunting this weekend. Nighttime lows were mid to low 40s. I wasn't necessarily cold, but definitely colder than I should've been in that bag. My guess is it's because I'm a side sleeper and usually end up in almost the fetal position. Anyone have any tips?

What did you sleep on? The sleeping pad can be a bit influence on this.

Reactions: red02tj
What did you sleep on? The sleeping pad can be a bit influence on this.

Nemo Switchback. I bought it knowing I would be sacrificing warmth for weight with the lower R rating, but figured it be enough for most of my trips. For the one's it wasn't I was planning on getting a half length pad for my upper body/core area.

Nemo Switchback. I bought it knowing I would be sacrificing warmth for weight with the lower R rating, but figured it be enough for most of my trips. For the one's it wasn't I was planning on getting a half length pad for my upper body/core area.

I have a Switchback that I usually put under my inflatable pad. It does seem to help.

What did you sleep in? I think bags are rated assuming you're in a small tent with full rain fly, a good pad, long underwear AND fleece pajamas AND a warm hat.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
My suggestion would be a warmer bag and a thick base pad or cot.

I hate being cold. I bought a rectangular bag that is rated for -20 (maybe even -40). Down to teens I've been incredibly warm. It has a canvas outer, fleece inner and IIRC, a synthetic down material inside. Paired with either a cot (my go-to) or a cheap foam sleeping pad. The downside is its rectangular shape and canvas material which for elk hunting, would be too big, bulky and heavy if you trek to camp.

What did you sleep in? I think bags are rated assuming you're in a small tent with full rain fly, a good pad, long underwear AND fleece pajamas AND a warm hat.

I slept in base layers. The comfort rating is 26 degrees so I should've been more than fine in just base layers with the temps we were in. I've always been taught to sleep in base layers unless it's pretty damn cold.

Reactions: srimes
My suggestion would be a warmer bag and a thick base pad or cot.

I hate being cold. I bought a rectangular bag that is rated for -20 (maybe even -40). Down to teens I've been incredibly warm. It has a canvas outer, fleece inner and IIRC, a synthetic down material inside. Paired with either a cot (my go-to) or a cheap foam sleeping pad. The downside is its rectangular shape and canvas material which for elk hunting, would be too big, bulky and heavy if you trek to camp.

If I was buying just for elk hunting I would 100% have gone with something like that. My highest priority though is my backpacking trips, so weight and ability to compress is a must.

Reactions: tworley
Agree with sleeping in base layers unless you've perspired even the slightest during the days hike. No matter how dry you think you are, even the slightest moisture will make staying warm a challenge... especially socks.

My experience with hammock camping for more than a decade of UL backpacking is emphasis goes to what's under you more than what's over you. Cold ground utilizes conduction (cold air for hammock camper uses convection) to suck the heat out of you. Change your pad before you do anything else.

I've done multiple nights sub-five degrees in the hammock with a zero degree under quilt and only a twenty degree top quilt and was perfectly comfortable. Top quilt is essentially a mummy bag that is open under you. I always opt for a warmer UQ than TQ.

I did an AT section hike in 2021 that saw five or six degrees overnight. Base weight was 13.2 lbs with the warmest insulation I have in a 55 ltr. Z-Packs Arc Blast. Quilts are all 950's with 10D nylon outside and 10D nylon taffeta inside. Often the fabric used for quilts and bags has more impact on weight and ability to compress than the fill rating.

And, keep in mind that if you're using a down bag, you can have a minus gajillion bag that will do absolutely nothing to keep your underside warm once the down is compressed. Down doesn't create warmth. It just retains it. (so make sure you're warm BEFORE you turn in or you'll struggle to get warm once you're in).

Again, emphasis on quality, warm bottom insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: RMETeeJay
Reactions: srimes
Reactions: Shank
If I was buying just for elk hunting I would 100% have gone with something like that. My highest priority though is my backpacking trips, so weight and ability to compress is a must.

I also try to stay as light as possible for backpacking, but always carry a NeoAir Xtherm. Ground insulation makes a huge difference in overall warmth and, for me, good sleep makes the difference between a good trip and a bad time. It's very comfortable and crazy warm. As soon as you lay on one, you will feel the warmth captured. You can optionally shave weight by switching to a quilt instead of a mummy.

The cons are:
  • Pricey (however, they are made in the USA and very durable as long as you have some kind of protection underneath and choose your site wisely).
  • As a fellow side sleeper, I will say that all of their inflatables are a bit noisy as you move around but not enough to wake me once I'm down.
  • Weight (compared to your foam pad).
  • You shouldn't inflate with your breath because it introduces moisture which causes mildew and reduces the insulation's effectiveness. They include a sack to inflate it. I was skeptical, but it works well.
All that said, they do have other pads that are less expensive. Here is their Sleeping Pad Finder.

Reactions: MikekiM
Just got back from a 6 day trip with nighttime lows ~25°. Bag felt like about how it should for the rating and the only changes I made was a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag liner and stuffing my down jacket in the extra space at my feet as well as wearing a beanie which I stupidly forgot on that last trip. I was more than satisfied with how warm it was.