2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

Oh yeah, I also took advantage of HF power tool sale on the Hercules stuff and spoiled myself a couple weeks back. Apparently, this brand was designed to hold up with big brands like Milwaukee and Makita, and the ratings seem to back it up. I got four tools and six batteries for $500, and if this is considered industrial grade, it’ll last me plenty long for just around the house.
IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

You can also see a cool little jump pack in the first photo. It’s has an air compressor, power supply for electronics, and a work light built in. I think it’ll be a great little tool to bring around on the trails.

May have gotten a little over zealous with the ugga bugga gun and ball joint press 😎
IMG_0834.jpeg

I thought “no problem, I have anothe…..hmm that’s interesting, this box has tape on it. Oh look at that! The u joint is not the same as the part number!”
IMG_0835.jpeg

On to other things I guess. New u joints won’t be ready till Friday.

Oh yeah, I also took advantage of HF power tool sale on the Hercules stuff and spoiled myself a couple weeks back. Apparently, this brand was designed to hold up with big brands like Milwaukee and Makita, and the ratings seem to back it up. I got four tools and six batteries for $500, and if this is considered industrial grade, it’ll last me plenty long for just around the house.
View attachment 494183

View attachment 494185

View attachment 494184

You can also see a cool little jump pack in the first photo. It’s has an air compressor, power supply for electronics, and a work light built in. I think it’ll be a great little tool to bring around on the trails.

I need to get some battery gear too but keep putting it off.

May have gotten a little over zealous with the ugga bugga gun and ball joint press 😎
View attachment 494242

I thought “no problem, I have anothe…..hmm that’s interesting, this box has tape on it. Oh look at that! The u joint is not the same as the part number!”
View attachment 494243

I did the same thing to an axle joint with an Oreilly's BJ press... I was lucky that I bought two joints when I only needed one. Made me miss having a nice vice at the old shop.

Don't sweat it man, you'll be up and running in no time.

Reactions: Wildman
View attachment 494242

View attachment 494243

I tried the press method but prefer using hammers.

Reactions: PurpleTJAZ
hammers work well for the replacement joints, but those damn joints with the plastic injected ring can be a super bitch to get out.

I’ve replaced joints with hammers and sockets in the past but it wasn’t as controlled as I’d prefer.

That said, I didn’t damage a joint that way so I’d probably try it again if I don’t have access to a nice press or vice (which was satisfyingly smooth in my experience).

Reactions: Apparition
Interesting. I haven’t done a whole lot of U-joints but when I did the rear driveshaft on my Dodge 3500 recently, I used my HF 20T shop press and it seemed so smooth and controlled. First time I’ve done it that way.

It’s easy to mess up the ears if something gets stuck in the press where the hammer seems to constantly shock them to the path of least resistance.

I’m pretty sure I broke a cap in my press also.

I’ve replaced joints with hammers and sockets in the past but it wasn’t as controlled as I’d prefer.

That said, I didn’t damage a joint that way so I’d probably try it again if I don’t have access to a nice press or vice (which was satisfyingly smooth in my experience).

I've never blown a cap out, but I have bent yoke ears with a press...Then again, I've done it with hammer and sockets too. Living in the rust belt, they can get pretty seized in there. Once they are freed up, using inertia and a hammer works really well, and pretty much prevents any damage to the joint or the yoke ears...but you have to get them apart the first time.

Reactions: Woodrow and Wildman
I've never blown a cap out, but I have bent yoke ears with a press...Then again, I've done it with hammer and sockets too. Living in the rust belt, they can get pretty seized in there. Once they are freed up, using inertia and a hammer works really well, and pretty much prevents any damage to the joint or the yoke ears...but you have to get them apart the first time.

I bent an A-Arm using a hydraulic press at the base's hobby shop back in the day pressing out ball joints. It was my first major F up doing my own work.

I found the vice method to have better control and tactile feedback using an oversized socket on one end and a proper size socket on the other. However, I haven't used this method yet for the Jeep, and it's pretty clear that the hammer method has worked well for folks who know more than I do. I'll probably use that method moving forward. Thanks :)

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
I worked in a machine shop in the 70's and probably did 20+ u-joints a week. I drive the caps outward with a hammer, then press the new caps back in against the joint with a bench vise until the clips are in place, last tap the yoke with a hammer to shock the caps back against the clips to relieve any possible bind. Worked then and I still use the same process today. Not saying the press does not work, I even own one, I have just never found them necessary to do u-joints.

Edit....
I just read @mrblaine instructions in this link.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/replacing-u-joints-do-you-prefer-a-hammer-or-a-press.14974/
Do that..!!

Very similar to what I do but explained much more thoroughly and of coarse the detailed facts to back up his statement.

Last edited:
Lots of good info getting tossed around! I have two new u joints coming tomorrow from O’Reillys. I will double check to make sure these are the correct ones.

I also mocked up the engine skid last night. Definitely an easy install but unfortunately I’m missing a couple of the bolts that secure it to the TC skid. I don’t even want to try and fight with Savvy over it so I’m just going to order the correct ones from McMaster and be done with it. I have some other fasteners I’ve been meaning to purchase anyways.

Reactions: RINC and Wildman
I was doing so well today. I thought I was done and (luckily) found that one of the ears on the centering yoke broke off 🥲
IMG_0842.jpeg

Unless I am mistaken, I cannot and should not use the driveshaft in this condition.

No 4x4 for me this weekend. Unless one of my AZ peeps has an extra??