Anyone else own a Hmmwv?

Welp, I got the itch again, and started bidding on Hmmwvs on Gov Planet. Ended up winning a non running 1997 M1097A2 in Georgia. I'm still waiting on the government paperwork to clear before I can pick it up, but I'm already gathering parts and planning out the build.

I'll be stripping it down and rebuilding it, but not totally original. It'll end up looking more like an urban assault vehicle rather then something you'd find in the sandbox.

Anyone else here have one? They're just as fun and addictive as Jeeps lol

View attachment 493407

View attachment 493408

View attachment 493409

View attachment 493410

View attachment 493411

View attachment 493412

Not saying, just saying I love a hummer or 3.
20220828_203727.jpg

Reactions: Tranz Zam
I have had many at my house in Tonopah. Oh the thoughts I have had of unloading them and trying to get them stuck.

Wait you drive OTR and have/had a house in Tonopah? Were you ever Willin to drive there from Tehachapi? :rolleyes:Sorry couldn't resist. one of the best road songs ever written IMHO.

• Wow
  • USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and DavidBT
My earlier days before heavy Haul. I just looking how I tied them down. What was my thinking on this?! I was hauling uncrated glass at the time. The a-frames under the deck were bolted on the deck to support the glass packs. Those 3 were a tight fit on a 45' flatbed.

I believe mine is coming on a Hotshot truck with a 3 car wedge trailer. I'm curious to see how they're loaded and strapped on there.

Reactions: RINC
Although purpose built, they are not very graceful in the rocks.
Imagine a Tortoise on a tennis ball....

Yea the suspension is pretty rough. The guys at Grind Hard Plumbing Co. have just bought 2 and are talking about swapping one over to coilovers and probably an LS swap, so that will be cool. It would be interesting to see what one could do with a more supple and flexible suspension. They're just built so heavy duty that they beat you up.

Yea the suspension is pretty rough. The guys at Grind Hard Plumbing Co. have just bought 2 and are talking about swapping one over to coilovers and probably an LS swap, so that will be cool. It would be interesting to see what one could do with a more supple and flexible suspension. They're just built so heavy duty that they beat you up.

I believe you can use springs from a Nissan Armada to soften em up. If not, I've seen guys have local spring shops make them a set that are softer

Reactions: bbaldwin237
The suspension on the H1's reminds me of the Ford M-151-A1 that my Dad and I put back on the road after we repaired the upper & lower control arms that the Govt. disabled before selling them.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
The suspension on the H1's reminds me of the Ford M-151-A1 that my Dad and I put back on the road after we repaired the upper & lower control arms that the Govt. disabled before selling them.

I've never seen an A1 in person (that I can remember) but I've seen this restored A2. I can't say if it's a "correct" restoration or not. It was at a shop on base that I had to go to one year for some reason or another. It was pretty neat!
IMG_20150520_132359770.jpg

IMG_20150520_132346410.jpg

IMG_20150520_132334635.jpg

IMG_20150520_132447181.jpg

IMG_20150520_132437596.jpg

I've never seen an A1 in person (that I can remember) but I've seen this restored A2. I can't say if it's a "correct" restoration or not. It was at a shop on base that I had to go to one year for some reason or another. It was pretty neat!
View attachment 494465

View attachment 494466

View attachment 494467

View attachment 494468

View attachment 494469

At a quick glance, the A1 fenders had a true flat top as opposed to the A2's "dip" for the turn signal/black out light.
We added limiting straps to the rear swing arms as to keep the lowers from drooping too far.
They were notorious for being able to "buckle under" from tight "J" turns and injuring/killing GI's.

A little update on how it's going. Got it mechanically sound, mounted some slightly used 37s on new 17x9 wheels, painted it jet black and bedlined the inside of the truck. Redid the interior in black, with new seat covers and painting the dash and windshield frame. Also painted all the trim, like the lights, bumpers, and mirrors in satin black for a little contrast.

I had the original markings remade in satin black, so they blend in with the paint, but still stand out enough to be noticed. Also made an H1 style clearance light bar out of 24v lights. Looks pretty close to the civilian lights.

20240415_122006.jpg
20240416_144640.jpg
20240416_164450.jpg
20240418_150942.jpg
20240419_143007.jpg
20240427_164557.jpg
20240427_165338.jpg

20240403_145356.jpg

Looks great in black!

What drivetrain do those come with? Turbo 6.5,th400,awd np241 and amc 20 center diff's?

How much are you into it from initial purchase til now to make it a sound driver??

Im askin because I looked into buying one for $10-15K off a Govt auction site years ago, but I couldnt realistically estimate what Id have to pour into it

Whats it like getting it registered and plated where youre at?? I know MA is pretty much hardcore Dem infested, which is why I ask

How much are you into it from initial purchase til now to make it a sound driver??

Im askin because I looked into buying one for $10-15K off a Govt auction site years ago, but I couldnt realistically estimate what Id have to pour into it

Whats it like getting it registered and plated where youre at?? I know MA is pretty much hardcore Dem infested, which is why I ask

They're easy to register and insure in MA, but mine is registered thru my LLC based out of Montana.

This one I bought as a non runner for $3600. I probably have $1000 into the wheels and tires, $300 in mechanical stuff like glow plugs, thermostat, belt and hoses. I painted it myself, and I used UreChem materials, so that was about $350. The shipping to get the truck from GA to MA was $1500.

Overall not bad. Definitely could have been much more expensive if I bought a certified runner, or got a non runner that turned out to need an engine lol