Been Thinking About Buying A TJ

How would you know? :unsure:

I don't want to make enemies or adversaries. Life is too short, and I appreciate a page to share our Jeep TJ ownership. But, you've seen the videos as much as I have seen them. I don't want to be a fellow Jeep TJ owners adversary. I have enough trouble with these Prius and Tesla owners. "nuff said.

Really? Any TJ owner would get a laugh at this video.

Last edited:
I don’t know if upgrades increase repair costs. Upgrades do increase the money spent for more upgrades. Vicious circle.
Bigger tires require a lift and possible rims. If the tires are big enough the axels or gearing need to change. New bumper w/tire carrier upgrade. CYE and DC driveshaft to eliminate vibrations. Many upgrades start the chase to fix the next weak point.
Bottom line is that it’s YOUR TJ. It all depends on how you are going to use it.

I'm just saying that a lot of people use cheap lifts and then they have to spend more money trying to fix it, such as the dreaded death wobble. Then, when they go off roading, things tend to break in the under carriage and things get damaged, causing more repairs. Then, you suffer damage off roading, to your Jeep, and you have to fix those things, from trees, rocks, branches, etc. So, the costs go up astronomically compared to just normal daily driving repairs. I'm sure if one can afford it, it is great fun. I just can't afford it, and I need my Jeep for daily transportation. But, I do enjoy watching all the videos and seeing the excursions and things that Jeeps are capable of. I would love to be able to do some of those things and go some of those places. So, I do admire these off roaders, don't get me wrong.

I'm just saying that a lot of people use cheap lifts and then they have to spend more money trying to fix it, such as the dreaded death wobble. Then, when they go off roading, things tend to break in the under carriage and things get damaged, causing more repairs. Then, you suffer damage off roading, to your Jeep, and you have to fix those things, from trees, rocks, branches, etc. So, the costs go up astronomically compared to just normal daily driving repairs. I'm sure if one can afford it, it is great fun. I just can't afford it, and I need my Jeep for daily transportation. But, I do enjoy watching all the videos and seeing the excursions and things that Jeeps are capable of. I would love to be able to do some of those things and go some of those places. So, I do admire these off roaders, don't get me wrong.

So, just sayin.. You might want to say something between you first post and this one especially when it's directed at a new TJ owner.

A statement like "When you lift it, repairs increase astronomically. And you risk totalling it too" on its own, is misleading and generally incorrect.

So, just sayin.. You might want to say something between you first post and this one especially when it's directed at a new TJ owner.

A statement like "When you lift it, repairs increase astronomically. And you risk totalling it too" on its own, is misleading and generally incorrect.

Maybe you just haven't seen the same videos that I have seen, nor read the same numerous comments on death wobble that I have read, normally caused by an improper lift.

Thanks for all the comments, i f appreciate being included. Probably no mods, old man drive to grocery store and fun special occasion driver.

I can tell you this. There is nothing more fun than driving a TJ, with the top off, the doors removed, and for maximum fun, the windshield lowered. There is such a wow factor driving a TJ. On the highways though, I do suggest you raise the windshield especially in the desert with all the bugs going into your mouth. Unless, of course you find bugs tasty. lol.

And found the one i wanted today, previous owner is a doctor who owned for past 5 years, seems to be in decent condition with minor frame rust spot which a good friend will fix and some clear coat failure. Nice enough looking I think and pretty much what I wanted, full doors and soft top and the Sahara package is a plus for me. Needs tires and I am sure lots of other things will turn up. Happy to be here.

View attachment 520285

View attachment 520286

Wow, looks like they kept good care of it!

I would agree. Your first comment was different though. I mean, shit, many of our TJ's that are lifted probably drive better than many stock Jeep's on 20-30 year old front and rear ends. Mine doesn't, but I know that's my fault. When I bought my TJ, it had a 2.5" RC lift on it. No adj track bar, TC drop, cheap shocks. Drives like ass. Still had fun though so I got over it.

Then there's the people who spend 10's of thousands of dollars rebuilding a Jeep from the ground up. I test drove a 2.5" or 3" lifted XJ. Drove fantastic, because it was done correctly and was focused on quality. Proper geometry, quality shocks/springs, etc. The problems arise when some 17 year old is in the driveway trying to fit 33's on in a weekend. When I was in high school, there was a kid who had a 4" RC lift on a WJ. I still don't know how he tolerated those shocks every day. I don't even want to think about the bump steer... Many of the parts people replace when correctly installing a quality-focused lift are replacing 20-30 year old parts. Better and newer designs too. One example that comes to mind is the factory TC linkage. When you do a body lift or TC drop (or are just unlucky) the transfer case linkage binds and loses N or 4L. The cable shifter (that many of us have to install after a lift or TC drop) is a much desired upgrade to our 4WD mechanism. A lift isn't a bad thing to me, in many cases a properly modified rig tells me many things are replaced and dialed in.

I test drove a 2.5" or 3" lifted XJ. Drove fantastic

So, you're the one that took my XJ for a joy ride. ;)
p.s. The lift was 5".

XJ 1 26 2020 best.jpg

Reactions: 97TJNM
Maybe you just haven't seen the same videos that I have seen, nor read the same numerous comments on death wobble that I have read, normally caused by an improper lift.
I have had seven wranglers.. I'll bet I've seen them all.

Death wobble is more often caused by worn or loose parts. A properly installed complete lift could potentially reduce the likelihood of death wobble by replacing many of the aged & offending parts.

How does a properly installed lift results in astronomical bills?

Many of us have properly installed lifts in Jeeps that perform better, are safer and are more comfortable than the day they rolled off the assembly line.

I'm not looking to get into a keyboard battle with you. Your second statement at least puts some context to it, but to make a declaration that a lift will result in astronomical bills and increase the likelihood of a rollover is wrong, incomplete and misleading to a new owner/reader.

Carry on.

That caught my eye....My dad passed away late summer before last...Left a pretty nice C6 Corvette coupe. I’m not a Corvette guy so to speak....But I’m glad I’ve had the opportunity to have one and I would tell anybody if you’re not wanting to spend a lot of money try to at least get into a C6 or newer version- They are light years ahead of their predecessors. Do that or jump back to the 70s or 60. It’s kind of funny....I will walk past it about any time to get in one of my Jeeps. I tell people it’s a faster way to get parts for them.

Sorry for your loss but the Vette is fun to own as well. I would suggest getting into a C5 or older. Corvettes had hidden headlights for 41 years and still should. Cool factor goes way up with hidden headlights (as long as they are working properly). I have an '04 LeMans Commemorative Edition Convertible and some days, I like it better than my daily driver '99 Sahara that I rescued off the scrap heap. Both are fun and the aftermarket is endless for both classes of vehicle. To the OP, best of luck with your TJ. It looks like you made a good purchase, now go out and have fun!

Sorry for your loss but the Vette is fun to own as well. I would suggest getting into a C5 or older. Corvettes had hidden headlights for 41 years and still should. Cool factor goes way up with hidden headlights (as long as they are working properly). I have an '04 LeMans Commemorative Edition Convertible and some days, I like it better than my daily driver '99 Sahara that I rescued off the scrap heap. Both are fun and the aftermarket is endless for both classes of vehicle. To the OP, best of luck with your TJ. It looks like you made a good purchase, now go out and have fun!
Oh I know the argument just like I prefer round headlights over square- Thankfully that got solved in 97.

Have you driven a C6? Especially back to back with prior years?

I just was not a fan of the squeaks and harshness of the 80s but they got gorgeous before that.

Last edited:
Oh I know the argument just like I prefer round headlights over square- Thankfully that got solved in 97.

Have you driven a C6? Especially back to back with prior years?

I just was not a fan of the squeaks and harshness of the 80s but they got gorgeous before that.

I agree with you on the preferences and the squeaks/harshness. I've owned two Corvettes (C4 and C5) and two Jeep Wranglers (80 CJ5 and 99 TJ). I also drove a friend's C6 and my C5 back to back on a road course. Admittedly, the C6 is way more of a badass with 80 more HP and better tuned suspension. No doubt the C6 is superior in almost every way. I hope you're still enjoying yours.