Best Automotive Combination Wrenches With Bite?

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I want to get some quality wrenches that keep me from rounding heads off bolts. Whats the best bang for buck combo wrenches, probably 6 pt, what have a good version of the modified flanks so the bolt corners dont get loaded? For ref, Snap-On is probably too expensive, Gear Wrench too cheap. US made if possible. Suggestions?

I want to get some quality wrenches that keep me from rounding heads off bolts. Whats the best bang for buck combo wrenches, probably 6 pt, what have a good version of the modified flanks so the bolt corners dont get loaded? For ref, Snap-On is probably too expensive, Gear Wrench too cheap. US made if possible. Suggestions?
If you near Snap On quality without the price look at Williams. From there look at S-K or Proto.

I have some SK and some Wright. The Wrights are, by far, the best wrenches I've used. The ones I have come with some machined knurling (called wrightgrip) in the open end. It really grabs the head of the bolt, to the point where it will leave a witness in grade 8 stuff. At the time, best price I found was Amazon.

Wright Tool 711 Wrightgrip 12-Point Combination Wrench Set, 11-Piece, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HW8ANO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The only snap on tools I own are one set of english flank drive combination wrenches. Everything else is old USA craftsman, tekton, icon, proto, sk, gearwrench, and husky. The open end of the snap on wrenches bite HARD. So hard that I have sheared rusty bolts with them without the bolt head slipping. I mostly believe snap on tools are a waste of money considering the plethora of quality Taiwanese-made and less expensive USA tools out there but in my opinion their wrenches are still a cut or two higher than everything else. You can find new snap on wrench sets on ebay for somewhat reasonable prices.

6C207528-3BD8-4D4B-A1C3-757FF4059BCC.jpeg

The only snap on tools I own are one set of english flank drive combination wrenches. Everything else is old USA craftsman, tekton, icon, proto, sk, gearwrench, and husky. The open end of the snap on wrenches bite HARD. So hard that I have sheared rusty bolts with them without the bolt head slipping. I mostly believe snap on tools are a waste of money considering the plethora of quality Taiwanese-made and less expensive USA tools out there but in my opinion their wrenches are still a cut or two higher than everything else. You can find new snap on wrench sets on ebay for somewhat reasonable prices.

View attachment 306563
That looks really similar to the wright grip.

I found this video comparing the two.

View attachment 306563
You obviously don’t turn a wrench professionally. Snap on tools are anything but a waste of money. They’ve paid my bills for many years. Nothing even comes close to lasting as long with daily use.

You obviously don’t turn a wrench professionally. Snap on tools are anything but a waste of money. They’ve paid my bills for many years. Nothing even comes close to lasting as long with daily use.
I have never claimed to be a professional mechanic and I am glad they have served you well. My post was not meant to insult snap on or anybody. For many of us who have other jobs and work on our jeeps in our free time, yes—exclusively owning snap on tools would be a waste of money. You would do well to consider the context of what people are saying before shitting on their posts.

I have never claimed to be a professional mechanic and I am glad they have served you well. My post was not meant to insult snap on or anybody. For many of us who have other jobs and work on our jeeps in our free time, yes—exclusively owning snap on tools would be a waste of money. You would do well to consider the context of what people are saying before shitting on their posts.
Not shitting on anyones post, but making a blanket statement that they are a waste of money is assuming a lot and just as much shitting on someone’s post as what I said. Some of us prefer to only buy things once weather it be for professional or personal use.

Reactions: HornedToad
If I was going to invest in new combination wrenches I would definitely go with Wright. I’ve been eyeing them for several years now…

• USA Proud
Reactions: B00mb00m
Look at the craftsman professional series those look pretty good. I would go with 12 point combo wrenches though they will serve you much better. The only 6 point wrenches I own are line wrenches for brake and hydraulic lines.

For my job, everything is either Snap On or MAC.
My at home box is full of Craftsman, Husky or Williams. Stuff I collected over the years.
My least favorite wrenches are Craftsman. They do not fit well, and the jaws spread rounding off the nut or bolt.
Gearwrench is also a brand that I'm not fond of because the ratcheting mechanism. It is made of cast and breaks easily. I have a set and have had everyone replaced numerous times.
First generation Kobalt wrenches were well made. It was rumored that they were made by Snap on, but I doubt it.

Reactions: tr21triton

I bolded what I believe is the most important part of your post. Some cheap ass chinese wrenches/tools might be almost as good as some of tools Made in the USA but I do my best to keep my US$$ away from those bastards.

If you near Snap On quality without the price look at Williams. From there look at S-K or Proto.

Those three are great quality tools

SK has always been my favorites but that may just be because I was raised using them and the local hardware store was where the couple that broke were easily traded in. There may have been a few years where some SK tool were made in china but I'm pretty sure they are all made here again.

Most Williams and Proto tools are Made in USA but I don't think all of them are.

For my job, everything is either Snap On or MAC.
My at home box is full of Craftsman, Husky or Williams. Stuff I collected over the years.
My least favorite wrenches are Craftsman. They do not fit well, and the jaws spread rounding off the nut or bolt.
Gearwrench is also a brand that I'm not fond of because the ratcheting mechanism. It is made of cast and breaks easily. I have a set and have had everyone replaced numerous times.
First generation Kobalt wrenches were well made. It was rumored that they were made by Snap on, but I doubt it.
agreed, being a aircraft mechanic it either snap-on or mac. all the others i buy are to bend for a specific job or grind the shit out of them to fit in a certain spot !

Reactions: williambmac
I have the ability to borrow snap on tools when ever my cheap ass HF can't do the work and they have performed amazing. If I made my living do that stuff I would own a 100K worth of them. For what little I do, I live with lesser grade tools.

I sometimes wish someone would steal all my lower level tools and it would give me an excuse to upgrade. Maybe when my son buys a house I could do that by giving him all my current stuff.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The only issue with sk is the knurled handles on ratchets. If you twist wrenches for a living , they will eat your palm. Good guts in them and returns are good. Owatonna combinations are some of the finest that I have ever turned . You can really feel the difference in a good wrench just by picking it up . 6 point are nice for big stuff or really tight ,12 is nice for restricted confined areas . Just my 2 cents.

Snap-on tools are only worth it if you are a pro wrench turner because the Snap-on man will service you while most could care less about the rest of us who will not spend tens of thousands on tools from them. Also if your tools are required for your work they can be tax deductible. For those of us in the minor leagues Snap-on is money wasted. Personally I just will not buy anything made in China if possible and stay away from anything stamped with the Kobalt name on it.
FYI not all Snap-on tools are made in the US.