Fuse for Air Compressor Wiring

doc54

I'm going to be installing a modified NAPA air compressor in the trunk of my TJ and was wondering if anyone could help me out with my plan for my power wires.

As of now, I plan to run 6 gauge AWG with Anderson connectors - I'm thinking this should be around 12 feet from the trunk to the battery. The compressor will push out about 90 amps and after looking at some charts, I'm not sure if I should go down to 4 gauge cable.

If anyone has done something similar, would you recommend using 4 or 6 gauge cable and what amp fuse should I install?

Update: I'm now leaning towards 4 gauge AWG with an 120 amp fuse - Does that sound like it should be good?

Last edited:
I'm going to be installing a modified NAPA air compressor in the trunk of my TJ and was wondering if anyone could help me out with my plan for my power wires.

As of now, I plan to run 6 gauge AWG with Anderson connectors - I'm thinking this should be around 12 feet from the trunk to the battery. The compressor will push out about 90 amps and after looking at some charts, I'm not sure if I should go down to 4 gauge cable.

If anyone has done something similar, would you recommend using 4 or 6 gauge cable and what amp fuse should I install?

Update: I'm now leaning towards 4 gauge AWG with an 120 amp fuse - Does that sound like it should be good?

Definitely 4 gauge cable with 120-125A Fuse. 12ft is only half the circuit, you need to include the return to ground cable length as well which makes it 24ft. The insulating jacket on the cable needs to meet 105 Amp rating. Cable with a 105C jacket is capable of 112A.

Last edited:
Reactions: doc54 and CMBD
Definitely 4 gauge cable with 120-125A Fuse. 12ft is only half the circuit, you need to include the return to ground cable length as well which makes it 24ft. The insulating jacket on the cable needs to meet 105 Amp rating. Cable with a 105C jacket is capable of 112A.

Perfect, thank you. I'm planning on using this 4 gauge wire and a fuse similar to this one. Should I have a preference of 120A or 125A fuse or should there be no real difference?