Gauges work, but don't illuminate

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So the gauges work but don’t illuminate with the headlights. I have tried moving the dimmer switch for them back and fourth a bunch and check all the guess in the engine compartment and glovebox that say anything about gauge cluster.

Here is what I get with headlights on.

939E9A98-A878-43D0-B44E-DC00B8A84D5A.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, have you hit the top of the dash? See if that makes them illuminate.

• Haha
Reactions: skrelnik
Pull out the speaker grills on the lower section of the dash panel and check the ground wires that are attached to screws that hold both speakers in. If that is not the problem then you may need to check the wiring for the multi function switch or possibly the MFS switch is bad for the dimmer function.

Pull out the speaker grills on the lower section of the dash panel and check the ground wires that are attached to screws that hold both speakers in. If that is not the problem then you may need to check the wiring for the multi function switch or possibly the MFS switch is bad for the dimmer function.

I did check the ground under the driver speaker cover it is good.

I will have to pull it apart and look at the switch better next week I guess.

Just out of curiosity, have you hit the top of the dash? See if that makes them illuminate.

No I have not, but I guess it’s not a bad idea to smack it a little bit, and see if the jars something. I try not to hit my jeep, lol.

No I have not, but I guess it’s not a bad idea to smack it a little bit, and see if the jars something. I try not to hit my jeep, lol.

I know, but at the same time, if the lights go on when you smack it, it means it's a loose connection. Something to rule out.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Could one burnt out bulb cause all the other bulbs to out? How about a bad MFS, do you have issues turning your fog lights on/off? With the headlights on, turn on the turn signals and see if your fog lights light up for a quick second.

Bad ground will be a bitch to trace, but that is the other option.

Do the climate control lights operate? If they do that would rule out the switch as an issue. If they don't that would rule out the cluster as an issue (or at least make it less likely, I think the cluster still does the actual dimming).

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
have they ever worked? did they all go out at once?

as simple as this sounds, it can only be burned out bulbs , a bad switch, or a wiring issue (either a bad ground or no power)

bulbs..unlikely, if they all went out at once
switch..these things are starting to get old and switches do fail
wiring..if it was a bad/loose ground I would think you would have seen them flicker before they went out completely

I'd start troubleshooting this issue by using a multimeter on the switch first, that should pretty much take care of any question of power supply and the switch at the same time

Do the climate control lights operate? If they do that would rule out the switch as an issue. If they don't that would rule out the cluster as an issue (or at least make it less likely, I think the cluster still does the actual dimming).

Good idea, I didn’t even think to check those. Just focused on the gauges.

Could one burnt out bulb cause all the other bulbs to out? How about a bad MFS, do you have issues turning your fog lights on/off? With the headlights on, turn on the turn signals and see if your fog lights light up for a quick second.

Bad ground will be a bitch to trace, but that is the other option.

Fog lights do work.

have they ever worked? did they all go out at once?

as simple as this sounds, it can only be burned out bulbs , a bad switch, or a wiring issue (either a bad ground or no power)

bulbs..unlikely, if they all went out at once
switch..these things are starting to get old and switches do fail
wiring..if it was a bad/loose ground I would think you would have seen them flicker before they went out completely

I'd start troubleshooting this issue by using a multimeter on the switch first, that should pretty much take care of any question of power supply and the switch at the same time

They always worked perfect until I turned it on last night.

Ok just went out and checked, nothing illuminates, gauges, climate controls, locker switches etc. if I turn it far enough it does still light up the dome light.

It does seem like it is probably the switch. Unless there is a fuse blown, but I checked all the ones I could find with anything that sounded like gauges on them.

Anyone know if Jeep still sells new switches?

At a minimum before spending the money I'd pull the cluster and re-seat the connector. You should also pull the column covers and re-seat the connectors for the switch. Both aren't too difficult to get to.

Recently I had cruise control buttons go out and all I had to do was pop the clock spring connector back in place re-seating it. Saved allot of trouble/expense.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Put in a new multi-function switch.

It fixed one problem and that is now I am able to turn on the interior light with the switch now.

But still no illumination of climate controls or gauges.

I am at a bit of loss now I have checked every fuse that seems like it might effect that but don’t see any that are blown.

I guess I will go through them one by one.

Are the any other grounds besides the one under the driver speaker? Someone on another thread mentioned behind the radio?

On a 2004 the cluster ground is G201 which is left rear of the instrument panel and G300 is the interior light ground from the switch which is the left kick panel. But G300 is used for things like your brake lights, it would have to be just one damaged or broken wire in the mess. You probably have to double check the FSM for an 06 to be really sure but at least take a look down at those grounds at the kick panel.

On a 2004 the cluster ground is G201 which is left rear of the instrument panel and G300 is the interior light ground from the switch which is the left kick panel. But G300 is used for things like your brake lights, it would have to be just one damaged or broken wire in the mess. You probably have to double check the FSM for an 06 to be really sure but at least take a look down at those grounds at the kick panel.

Thanks, I am digging through FSM now to locate the grounds.

So the plot thickens, I was just checking all the fuses After reading on another forum Fuse #1 caused this for them and found fuse #1 was blown

PARK LPS SKIM (20A)

Replace it, try the headlight to see if gauges light up. Parking lights come on for a moment then go out again.

Replace it again, really pay attention this time as soon as I turn on the headlights I hear it pop again.

I have a short somewhere to track down...

Edit: Also just realized that means I don’t have tail lights. I have brake lights and blinkers, but no tail lights.

Edit 2: looks like others have said “It's possible the illumination wire going to the radio has been chafed and is shorting to ground. The wire is orange.” I do have what seems to be a pretty poorly done aftermarket stereo install in the Jeep, radio is a bit loose and wobbly in there so maybe that’s it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Daryl
So the plot thickens, I was just checking all the fuses After reading on another forum Fuse #1 caused this for them and found fuse #1 was blown

PARK LPS SKIM (20A)

Replace it, try the headlight to see if gauges light up. Parking lights come on for a moment then go out again.

Replace it again, really pay attention this time as soon as I turn on the headlights I hear it pop again.

I have a short somewhere to track down...

Edit: Also just realized that means I don’t have tail lights. I have brake lights and blinkers, but no tail lights.

Edit 2: looks like others have said “It's possible the illumination wire going to the radio has been chafed and is shorting to ground. The wire is orange.” I do have what seems to be a pretty poorly done aftermarket stereo install in the Jeep, radio is a bit loose and wobbly in there so maybe that’s it.

Did you ever find the source of the issue?

I'm in the same boat.