Looking for opinions on these winches

highlandox

Would like opinions on Warn winches Zeon 8-S, Zeon 10-S and VR8-S. I do not do any rock climbing or major off-roading. Only occasional beach driving in summer. Any information/feedback would be great. I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon

Would like opinions on Warn winches Zeon 8-S, Zeon 10-S and VR8-S. I do not do any rock climbing or major off-roading. Only occasional beach driving in summer. Any information/feedback would be great. I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon
I dont understand what features you want to compare. The winch is really just for looks and maybe a very rare beach recovery?

Last edited:
Reactions: bucky and Rut Row
Well you for sure do not need a Zeon 10-S. But if you are asking about these three for your use I would go with the VR8-S. The Zeon 8-S is a great winch that's what I run, but I think it is over kill for what your beach driving might need.

Reactions: bbaldwin237

I run the Zeon 8-S, probably overkill, but I like overkill. I run a 12...

The Zeon line is excellent and have a good track record up here in AK. 8k works well but the 10k is better if you are running larger rubber and like to play in the wet more often. The VR Evo winches are Warns entry level and while they are OK I would spend the extra money and buy a winch that you will only have to buy once.

Reactions: Plumber1 and Irun
I run the Zeon 8-S, probably overkill, but I like overkill. I run a 12...

If the Zeon 8-S is overkill why would you need a 12. Hell just upgrade to a

M15-S HEAVYWEIGHT WINCH - 97730​

:ROFLMAO:

8599ACEB-6D9D-4A36-8A3E-ACFECD24C98A.jpeg

A shovel has done me more good at getting unstuck in the sand than using a winch. Faster too.
Don't ever leave home without one. For the beach a shovel and maybe traction boards are the ticket when nobody else is around. A kinetic rope and basic rigging will do it when another vehicle is available. But properly stowed shovels, ropes, and shackles don't have the expensive offroad jewelry look of a winch when parked in front of Starbucks.

If nobody is around a winch is useless in the sand unless you carry a sand anchor. A winch has to be attached at both ends to work. A shovel works for me because I do not keep spinning my wheels until I’m on the frame. It’s all about technique. I’ve never been stuck in sand where a little shovel action did not work. I’ve pulled many folks out of the sand at places like Glamis, Ocotillo Wells and Dumont Dunes. None was ever a Wrangler but a lot of SUVs with too much air in the tires. I even pulled out a Humvee once. That took 2 of us in tandem with old fashion 2” tow straps. Not saying a winch is not nice to have but its window dressing for many. Gone 30+ yrs with no winch on my YJ. My TJ came with a winch thanks to PO. I do have winches on 2 of my equipment trailers and those have come in handy many times.

If nobody is around a winch is useless in the sand unless you carry a sand anchor.
In sand you can bury a shovel, spare tire, tool box, farm jack, etc.

Edit - you wont get a lot of pull but sometimes in sand it doesn't take a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd
If you’re just beach driving then you definitely should just buy a cheap 8k winch. To me sounds like you should invest in air supply and just air down for the sand. My two cents.

I have a Zeon 10S, but agree that would probably be a bit costly for your purposes.

As long as you're going with other people (which you should) I would just carry a strap. Otherwise, I like the Badlands winch idea. Warn are pretty expensive.