More questions about Jeep: looking for opinions

jmharris23

Supporting Member
I know I’m asking a lot of questions but I have a Jeep that I bought without really knowing anything about Jeeps. I should have done a lot more research on the front end but here I am now.

I’ve had the Jeep for 5-6 years and only used it around the house for hunting…so it’s been ok for that.

But I’d like to be able to take it around town more and I’ve started to work on things.

The Jeep came with a RC 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, and 3.07 gears. I’ve read enough now to know that’s a bad deal.

What I’m looking for is what to do about it.

I had some intermittent DW and I’ve replaced the steering linkage, track bar, and dropped pitman arm.

The DW hasn’t returned yet so we’ll see.

I also replaced the shocks.

If it was your Jeep what’s the first things you would take care of.

Or would you just sell it and start over 🤪

Other than the DW you mentioned have you noticed any other problems?

I assume you’ve done the scheduled maintenance on it?

Are you happy with the ride?

If no issues I doubt I’d sell and start over. You never know what you will get in new one.

I know I’m asking a lot of questions but I have a Jeep that I bought without really knowing anything about Jeeps. I should have done a lot more research on the front end but here I am now.

I’ve had the Jeep for 5-6 years and only used it around the house for hunting…so it’s been ok for that.

But I’d like to be able to take it around town more and I’ve started to work on things.

The Jeep came with a RC 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, and 3.07 gears. I’ve read enough now to know that’s a bad deal.

What I’m looking for is what to do about it.

I had some intermittent DW and I’ve replaced the steering linkage, track bar, and dropped pitman arm.

The DW hasn’t returned yet so we’ll see.

I’d get some 33’s, regear it, and BMB brake pads with centric rotors. (4” lift is too much for 31’s. They’ll look like donuts)

Last edited:

With…?

Forgive me, what is DW?? Not up to speed on unique acronyms yet I guess. Driveline Wobble??
Downsizing to 31” tires will make it much more drivable. Regearing would also accomplish this but it’s more expensive and it doesn’t sound like you have a use case to justify it.

Not to mention , Facebook marketplace is full of new Jeep owners takeoffs in 31-32” for cheap

I grabbed 2022 Sahara rims and street 32” tires all new x5 for $600. Got a set of offroading tires on 31” from a JKU for $500

Last edited:
Reactions: jmharris23
I’d get some 33’s, regear it, and BMB brake pads with centric rotors. (4” lift is too much for 31’s. They’ll look like donuts)

That’s my worry about downsizing tires too much. I know 31’s will be better but I think 33’s are as small as I can go without it looking bad.

Reactions: Danarch
I'd get some 2" BDS springs and 31" MT tires. Done.

jeep bb 31s.jpg

1715808602573.png

Last edited:
If it's mechanically and structurally sound, I'd stick with the Jeep I know and map out a plan to address the shortcomings. Whether that's lowering the lift and running smaller tires or doing all that's necessary to properly run 35s or 33s, really depends on your intended use and personal preferences.

Reactions: Danarch
That’s my worry about downsizing tires too much. I know 31’s will be better but I think 33’s are as small as I can go without it looking bad.

35’s are just too big and cost way too much done right for your purposes. And technically, if you want to run 35’s you need another 1” body lift. Plus brakes, steering, and a hundred other upgrades. My .02c.

35’s are just too big and cost way too much done right for your purposes. And technically, if you want to run 35’s you need another 1” body lift. Plus brakes, steering, and a hundred other upgrades. My .02c.

Does the same thing apply to 33’s or if I do 33’s can I just re-gear it?

33's is a tipping point. You can get away with mostly stock parts and a regear if you don't wheel hard.hunting and highway driving. But if you push it you'll want almost all the same parts as a 35s build.

I hope you have an sye and double cardan rear shaft with 4" lift.

Reactions: BlueC and Tob

There are a lot of big dollar items you need with 35’s that you don’t need with 33’s. Those who cut corners with 35’s pay the price. Steering, geometry, brakes, and more.

You already have 4” lift. That’s correct for 33’s, so unless you plan on dumping $10-15k into it and a lot of time fiddling with it to dial it in, I’d go with 33’s.

If it was my Jeep, I would not sell it. Since you take it hunting and want to be able to drive it into town with no real off roading/rock crawling, I would downsize to 33’s. Drive it and see how it feels with the 3.07 gearing. If you still are unhappy, regear.

That’s what I would do.

When I suggested downsizing to 31’s, I meant lowering the lift too. You never told us what kind of lift you had. Is it a short arm? Bolt-on long arm? Are your factory brackets still there? If so, it’s a rather small thing to replace the springs and shocks to lower the lift. Some pictures of your suspension and steering would help.

For the record, 33s with 4.10 gearing is barely tolerable (and I live in one of the flattest parts of the country). 33s with 3.07 is just unacceptable for daily driving. Keep in mind that people will gladly spend your money on a regear, brake kit, and all the other supporting parts for bigger tires, and will gladly subject you to the pains of driving an undergeared dog of a Jeep. That said, I recommend downsizing the tires and lowering the lift for the best drivability.