Need .5-1" plastic for shimming gun lockbox? Or something else?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I need to shim a 6"x6" pistol lock box bracket by about .5"-1.5". So I need a thick hunk of black plastic.

Or something that wouldn't collect moisture that's about six inches square and a half inch to an inch and a half thick. Ideally .5" thick so I can add and subtract sections as needed.

I need to be black. I don't want to paint it. Because it won't last. It's right in the kick zone under the passenger seat.

And I need to buy it local tomorrow. So something from a known store. Home Depot? Lowes? A black cutting board from Target?

HDPE isn't in stock at either HD or Lowes. And Target doesn't carry black cutting boards. Or any other local store.

EVA foam from Hobby Lobby or the like? Comes in a bunch of thicknesses. Glues together with contact cement or any king of super glue

I know you dont want to paint, but some steel 12ga plate, some EXPENSIVE square tubing from the hardware rack, and a can of spray bedliner is probably the best bet on something you could find local the same day. Or some treated plywood scraps and the same spray bedliner. Drill and stack to whatever thickness.

Go to Lowes or HD and see if they have any scraps of composite decking boards they'd sell or give to you. I mean, you could always buy a new synthetic board, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money for such a project.

I don't see anything on Hobby Lobbys site that would work. I've asked my mother though. She actually works at one.

I was hoping to find a cheap cutting board. But nothing in black thick enough. That I can just go pick up.

I tried Lowes and HD. All I could find was 3/4"x6"x8ft white PVS trim board. Which I could cut down. But it's right under the passenger seat towards the back. So it's going to get kicked a lot. And I want it to remain black and hidden. As much as possible.

I can order a piece of 1"x12"x12" piece of black plastic for $20 online. But it takes over a week to get here. I really need to get it in today for this weekend. But maybe that isn't going to happen. I could use this white PVC and swap it out when it gets here I guess.

I need the added height so the door clears my floor mats. And I don't want to cut a chunk out of my floor mats. Cause it will look like hell. And you'll be able to see something's under there. The height also tucks it up under the seat. Further hiding it.

I guess I could just mount it without the shim today. Use the longer bolts I have. And put the shim in later. I can pull the floor mat back to get it open. But it requires me to get out of the Jeep and go the back passenger door to do so. It's a bit of a process. With the shim I'd be able to quickly reach it from the drivers seat, open it, and retrieve the pistol.

I'm never going to leave anything in there overnight. Just to secure pistol if I need to store it while in a store or going someplace I don't want to carry.

Any other advice for the thru body holes? I was going to seal the bolts with caulking. I'm using .25" grade 8 bolts, lock washer, large washer and nylon locking nuts. It came with thin stainless steel screws. But it could be easily pried out using those. I would just cut some PVC pipe and use shims on each corner. But that would easily allow a small crowbar or something to get under the lockbox and pry it out.

Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/761420107

IMG_1300.png