Old Kobalt socket rails

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Years ago I bought several of these plastic Kobalt brand socket rails at Lowes. They worked very well for me for many years. I took some of the mounting clips off some rails and added to others so one rail would hold more sockets. I eventually ended up with 4 or 5 rails but no clips to put sockets on. As I acquired more and more sockets I started buying some of the aluminum rails by Ares and OLSA on Amazon. One of the nice things about those is you can buy packs of the clips to add to their rails. These clips won’t fit the Kobalt rails though; slightly different shape and width. You can force them, but they just don’t slide right on the rails and I believe they would eventually break.

I recently started putting together a couple tools bags to keep in my truck and one of my cars. I was wandering around Lowes and noticed they had Craftsman brand socket rails that looked exactly like the old Kobalt ones. The clips were the same too. I got back home and googled Craftsman socket rails and ended up finding packs of clips on eBay. I was able to order some and put those clips-less Kobalt rails I had back to use in those tool bags.

P/N 941846 for 1/4”
P/N 941847 for 3/8”
P/N 941848 for 1/2”

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7739.jpeg

@MountaineerTom
When I bought my roller box in about 2000 I made extensive use of the Craftsman socket rails. They held up fantastic thru the next 15+ years of daily, professional use.
IMG_4294_Original.jpeg

Fast forward to Craftsman going into the toilet.
I wanted to reconfigure some rails and couldn’t find the clips. I researched socket rails and found that VIM appeared to be the OEM for my Craftsman rails and apparently they are/were the OEM for the Kobalt brand as well.
Here‘s a link to the 3/8” clips. They still have all three sizes on their website
https://vimtools.com/product/v521s/

Reactions: MountaineerTom
@MountaineerTom
When I bought my roller box in about 2000 I made extensive use of the Craftsman socket rails. They held up fantastic thru the next 15+ years of daily, professional use.
View attachment 478424

Fast forward to Craftsman going into the toilet.
I wanted to reconfigure some rails and couldn’t find the clips. I researched socket rails and found that VIM appeared to be the OEM for my Craftsman rails and apparently they are/were the OEM for the Kobalt brand as well.
Here‘s a link to the 3/8” clips. They still have all three sizes on their website
https://vimtools.com/product/v521s/

Good info, thanks!