Rear axle / wheel play

Midtenn

TJ Addict
I am trying to track down a clunk in the rear end. After pulling on various components trying to track down the cause, I finally found today that the rear wheels can move back and forth, just maybe 1/8” toward and away from the axle (like if you were positioned to remove the wheel). I don’t notice any issues with anything except when moving around in parking lots. Should there be any play at all?

I did a regear last spring with 4.56 gears and tru-tracks. I think the axle shafts are OEM or atleast never replaced by me.

It's likely your rear axle is the standard Dana 35 which has a c-clip design. If it is a Dana 35, there'a normal amount of in-out play with the axle shafts which means the wheels can move in/out slightly which can produce a very audible clunk like can happen when turning into a driveway etc.. The in-out play is so the c-clips can be removed when the axle shafts need to come out.

It's likely your rear axle is the standard Dana 35 which has a c-clip design. If it is a Dana 35, there'a normal amount of in-out play with the axle shafts which means the wheels can move in/out slightly which can produce a very audible clunk like can happen when turning into a driveway etc.. The in-out play is so the c-clips can be removed when the axle shafts need to come out.

I do have the standard Dana 35. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m fairly certain I have this same clunk. Mine seems to be coming from the front though. There has to be a way to get rid of the clunk. No way it’s coming off the assembly line like that

No clunk is normal.

That is a jeep telling you it needs attention.

It can be a loose control arm, Some form of interference, a loose skid or tranny crossbar, bad shock, u joint, body mount ... the list goes on.

Including the body mount bushings there are about 50 bushings underneath one of these.

You have to really be persistent and pay attention to what things have stress, pressure or tension on them when the jeep is both moving and stopping.

Sometimes I can go straight to something and sometimes it may take me a month.

You may start off with a guess, but don’t let the guess take you to the parts counter- In other words don’t just throw parts at the vehicle.

I would start with greasing everything and making sure everything is properly torqued.

Reactions: LittleGiant
No clunk is normal.

It can be a loose control arm, Some form of interference, a loose skid or tranny crossbar, bad shock, u joint, body mount ... the list goes on.

Including the body mount bushings there are about 50 bushings underneath one of these.

You have to really be persistent and pay attention to what things have stress, pressure or tension on them when the jeep is both moving and stopping.

You may start off with a guess, but don’t let the guess take you to the parts counter- In other words don’t just throw parts at the vehicle.

I would start with greasing everything and making sure everything is properly torqued.

Good info.
I’m about to drive this thing into the Pacific Ocean. I just can’t find the clunk/knock. I thought I did, but no.

I tightened everything to spec and greased everything. There were a few things that needed a tad bit of tightening, but nothing major, but it’s still there. I’ve checked my u joints on the axle and DS and have new ball joints along with tie rod ends, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, upper and lower steering shaft, steering gearbox. I’m absolutely perplexed and it’s driving me nuts because it makes the noise even driving at the slowest speed (under 10mph).

Good info.
I’m about to drive this thing into the Pacific Ocean. I just can’t find the clunk/knock. I thought I did, but no.

I tightened everything to spec and greased everything. There were a few things that needed a tad bit of tightening, but nothing major, but it’s still there. I’ve checked my u joints on the axle and DS and have new ball joints along with tie rod ends, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, upper and lower steering shaft, steering gearbox. I’m absolutely perplexed and it’s driving me nuts because it makes the noise even driving at the slowest speed (under 10mph).

One of my worst was a loose nutsert in the frame that holds the auto tranny crossmember- be dead sure to check those 2 bolts

Amazes me how visible everything is and how hard it can be to find a noise on these.

No clunk is normal.

Just curious is this may eliminate anything. While the Jeep was off I stood on the front bumper and bounced up and down as hard as I could. I weigh about 180lbs. - no noise

Stood on the ground and pulled up and bounced it up as high and hard as I could - no noise

Stood on the ground and rocked the front end side to side as much as I could - no noise

Each of these gave me a ton of movement and not even a hint of a knock that I’m chasing

Just curious is this may eliminate anything. While the Jeep was off I stood on the front bumper and bounced up and down as hard as I could. I weigh about 180lbs. - no noise

Stood on the ground and pulled up and bounced it up as high and hard as I could - no noise

Stood on the ground and rocked the front end side to side as much as I could - no noise

Each of these gave me a ton of movement and not even a hint of a knock that I’m chasing

That would make me think possibly a control arm- Whenever you start and stop the jeep stresses the control arm joints

Also make sure your springs have the isolators

You may want to get somebody in it to hit the brakes and somebody to push it while you look underneath

I see you have a lift. I'm guessing there's a Track Bar relocation bracket in the rear. Check all the bolts on that. You might not be able to move them by hand but, if they're not torqued well, you'll get some nice slop in there and a hefty clunk when it shifts.

That would make me think possibly a control arm- Whenever you start and stop the jeep stresses the control arm joints

Also make sure your springs have the isolators

You may want to get somebody in it to hit the brakes and somebody to push it while you look underneath

I can’t disconnect the control arm and test drive the jeep though. Just have to look at it and see I suppose right

Reactions: AndyG
I can’t disconnect the control arm and test drive the jeep though. Just have to look at it and see I suppose right

Exactly- not easy-

You can disconnect one upper at a time - Basically making it a three link - only one at time -

And see if it gets worse or better

If the bushings are clevite- They are not prone to being noisy.

above post is a good one also

I’ll try to go back and look at your pics too

Even seen a spare tire drive folks nuts.

Exactly- not easy-

You can disconnect one upper at a time - Basically making it a three link - only one at time -

And see if it gets worse or better

If the bushings are clevite- They are not prone to being noisy.

above post is a good one also

I’ll try to go back and look at your pics too

Even seen a spare tire drive folks nuts.

I just had the control arms replaced though. Not even a month ago. Upper and lower on the front and rear. Is that even likely?

I just had the control arms replaced though. Not even a month ago. Upper and lower on the front and rear. Is that even likely?

Actually VERY likely. I always start with whatever was done recently. Even good shops screw up sometimes. Had a reputable shop leave a bolt laying on my timing cover (Subaru) once- it slipped off during a turn and got jammed in the power steering pulley and locked up the accessory drive belt while my daughter, still on a learner's permit was driving.
Simple mistake that could have happened to almost anybody.

Actually VERY likely. I always start with whatever was done recently. Even good shops screw up sometimes. Had a reputable shop leave a bolt laying on my timing cover (Subaru) once- it slipped off during a turn and got jammed in the power steering pulley and locked up the accessory drive belt while my daughter, still on a learner's permit was driving.
Simple mistake that could have happened to almost anybody.

Good point, but the noise was there before they were changed.

I assume the noise is always there, I just can’t hear it at higher speeds. I noticed last night and this morning that the noise comes and goes. Drive around the neighborhood and didn’t hear a peep, other times it’s super loud and constant even going over a crack in the road slowly