Reassembling half doors

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My half doors were fully gutted before sending off to have them painted. Disassembled by the guy I bought them from so I didn't have a chance to document the process.

Anyone have a good tutorial on reassembling the rods to the interior and exterior door handles? I'm not going to assemble the locks as it makes no sense to me to lock a door on a soft top only jeep..

My half doors were fully gutted before sending off to have them painted. Disassembled by the guy I bought them from so I didn't have a chance to document the process.

Anyone have a good tutorial on reassembling the rods to the interior and exterior door handles? I'm not going to assemble the locks as it makes no sense to me to lock a door on a soft top only jeep..

This might be a place to start, I had it saved from when I replaced my half door latch.

Reactions: RINC and Apparition
Put the lock cylinders in place and connect only them to the latch; leave the inner lock button disconnected from the lock cylinder. This way you can lock your doors with the key so they can't be lifted off and stolen in 20 seconds while you're away.

Put the lock cylinders in place and connect only them to the latch; leave the inner lock button disconnected from the lock cylinder. This way you can lock your doors with the key so they can't be lifted off and stolen in 20 seconds while you're away.
I use the locks that thread onto the door pins. The cylinder would need to be rekeyed and I don't think I want to do that.

Mike I think you work in/near my town, If you want to borrow mine to remove the door panel and compare let me know? Jeep is in a garage in Nesconset for the winter.
You're correct about location. I may take you up on this. I haven't spread all the parts out on the shop floor yet so it might me more intuitive than I suspect. Stay tuned.

And if that doesn't work I can pull my inner door cover off and make video or take pictures...just don't mind the pipe insulation I stuffed inside or the power door locks. =)
That might be useful for others. I have yet to find a video or pictures of which rods go where.

I use the locks that thread onto the door pins. The cylinder would need to be rekeyed and I don't think I want to do that.

You're correct about location. I may take you up on this. I haven't spread all the parts out on the shop floor yet so it might me more intuitive than I suspect. Stay tuned.

That might be useful for others. I have yet to find a video or pictures of which rods go where.

shoot me a PM when you are ready

Not nearly as complicated as I thought...

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 20.24.57.png

*smacks forehead* Thank you for this suggestion. Sometimes the simply solutions are staring your right in the face.

Picked up the half doors and interior cards from the shop today.

The doors were painted flat black by the PO and were otherwise in great shape. The OE torx hinge bolts were replaced by the PO with stainless flat heads that take a hex key. The hinges were repainted as well.

The door cards were dyed Agate, in the same way I had the full door cards done and with the new paint on the doors they look like they just came off the factory assembly line. Now I'm going to have to have the Jeep painted...

Will post pics shortly.

Do factory half doors have a plastic weather barrier behind the door cards?

Reactions: JMT

Did you get the rods figured out?

I found some pictures of the whole assemblies that are labeled from when I had mine out working on them.

Reactions: RINC
Drivers side
IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8646.JPG

Passengers side

I forgot to label the one rod as the Int Handle
IMG_8643.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

Some random pics

Some of these clips worked well, but I don't remember where exactly I used them.
IMG_8629.JPG

I thought these were threads until I looked closer at them after reading on this side that they were actually rings.

IMG_9087.JPG

IMG_9088.JPG

IMG_9089.JPG

IMG_9090.JPG

IMG_9091.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

IMG_8424.JPG

IMG_8628.JPG

Drivers side
View attachment 484739

View attachment 484740

Passengers side

I forgot to label the one rod as the Int Handle
View attachment 484741

View attachment 484742

Some random pics

Some of these clips worked well, but I don't remember where exactly I used them.
View attachment 484743

I thought these were threads until I looked closer at them after reading on this side that they were actually rings.

View attachment 484744

View attachment 484745

View attachment 484746

View attachment 484747

View attachment 484748

View attachment 484749

View attachment 484750

View attachment 484751

That there is the Holy Grail of Half Door assembly!
Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom