Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

Put another way, they revert back closer to the original design that GR did for me on the Viking rig, the first set of which is on it.
View attachment 503149

WAIT a freaking second!! Did you build this rig, it’s for sale right near me.

IMG_2953.png

Compared to a normal rock slider, the mini boatside increases the ground clearance of the body by removing the corner under the door.
View attachment 503100

View attachment 503099

The mini boatside we built is very similar to the GenRight mini boatside, except that ours does not have the giant tube step to get in the way of the rocks. The other way ours is nicer than most is that I copied what Blaine designed for Savvy by adding the slight over-bend and the slight secret bend under the door to force a tight fit onto the body.

Another detail that is missing from the BFH video would be the use of a large aluminum backer plate inside the door opening intended to sandwich the body sheet metal between the slider and the backer to create a tight unitized structure.

The idea behind these mini boatsides was to take the GenRight mini boatside, remove their clutter, and add in as many Blaine details as we could.

This was the inspiration from one of Blaine's builds a few years ago.
View attachment 503103

Have you built a the mini boatsides yet? This one is working its way up the list for me.

I noticed on the diy mini boat sides you tied in the side to the bottom with a gusset infront of the fender (assuming you did it in the rear too). Would you still do this with a fender that has a flare that runs all the way down like a genright and just tie in as much as possible even if it’s just a few inches? Would that be worth the strength? Also with a backing plate is just a single sheet of 3/16 good enough or do people run angle iron to get the other rib for some strength too?
I happen to get cavfabs garage sale sliders that they used for their photos for the website for 100 bucks (already color matched). So I want to make use of anything else that wasn’t already said like adding more riv nut tie ins on the torque box.

I noticed on the diy mini boat sides you tied in the side to the bottom with a gusset infront of the fender (assuming you did it in the rear too). Would you still do this with a fender that has a flare that runs all the way down like a genright and just tie in as much as possible even if it’s just a few inches? Would that be worth the strength? Also with a backing plate is just a single sheet of 3/16 good enough or do people run angle iron to get the other rib for some strength too?
I happen to get cavfabs garage sale sliders that they used for their photos for the website for 100 bucks (already color matched). So I want to make use of anything else that wasn’t already said like adding more riv nut tie ins on the torque box.

My flares extended to the bottom of the tub, with a mini boat side they needed to be raised. I added a gusset plate in the front as high up as I could, and covered the gap between the inner fender and slider.
IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1686.jpeg

I don't do it for the strength, I do it to hide the ugly gap at the end of the boatside and slow down how much mud gets slung in there.

Reactions: The4bangertj
I don't do it for the strength, I do it to hide the ugly gap at the end of the boatside and slow down how much mud gets slung in there.

I’ve found with the GRs being open, it’s easier to get in there with a pressure washer after a muddy wheeling trip.

Reactions: The4bangertj

I just finished installing my CavFabs and while I like the design, they are about 4.5" short of the front wheel well. My OCD is telling me I need to buy some 3/16 steel sheet and weld on some extensions.

20240506_184032.jpg
20240506_184059.jpg

Last edited:
What is everyone preferred diy backing plate? I believe the savvy runs a close to 25in long by 3in wide 3/8 aluminum flat bar but noticed they run 2 bolts ( a top and bottom) across. Would this still be the preferred way for a cavfab that runs a single row across? I’d also assume that a piece of angle iron wouldn’t be recommended bc the goal is to cover as much sheet metal rather than an angle iron that’s skinner but I’d assume pretty ridged.

Probably made t

Probably made like that for their fenders.

Oh no doubt. I did ask them twice if they would leave the sliders long enough to go ww2ww and their response was "We are not taking custom orders at this time". That was before I know just how short they were. Still hard to beat for the price and I might try to weld on extensions for the extra protection and challenge of the project.