Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

In a month. Can't you read? 🤣

OK, will pick up on plan B to speak to some fabricators about having soming made over here that fit some of the key criteria outlined long ago on this thread. At least then I can get some idea of the cost versus having someghing shipped to the UK.

Small update for DIY Fabricators. I found this design on a website, so it is not original with me. It looks very good, although I have not measured the length to see if it is WW2WW. The double bend is an excellent feature (120* and 150*), and it appears to have plenty of underbody coverage where you could tub mount, the preferred method. If someone could fab some of these up for <$300, they might have a venue...

View attachment 40877

I've come back to this old post. I know somebody tried to model it previously, but I don't believe they got it right. This is what I get in profile, which I think looks far more what the original designer was looking at.

slider pic.png

The original drawing shows it in 3/16" steel. If I wanted to go for aluminium, as per the Savvy slider what thickness would be reasonable? Or put another way, how thick is the aluminium part of the Savvy slider?
I do know that the bends could not be sharp as shown above and would need a minium radius, but I am not a CAD expert and have very baic tools, so have ignored that for simplicity at this stage.

I've come back to this old post. I know somebody tried to model it previously, but I don't believe they got it right. This is what I get in profile, which I think looks far more what the original designer was looking at.

View attachment 501745

The original drawing shows it in 3/16" steel. If I wanted to go for aluminium, as per the Savvy slider what thickness would be reasonable? Or put another way, how thick is the aluminium part of the Savvy slider?
I do know that the bends could not be sharp as shown above and would need a minium radius, but I am not a CAD expert and have very baic tools, so have ignored that for simplicity at this stage.

This is what your are looking for as a template, if the goal is a GenRight style mini boatside as depicted.
20220704_183510~2.jpg

Use 3/16" steel. Aluminum is not an appropriate material for this application, unless you put a steel skin over the aluminum.

Reactions: UKTJ
This is what your are looking for as a template, if the goal is a GenRight style mini boatside as depicted.
View attachment 501747

Use 3/16" steel. Aluminum is not an appropriate material for this application, unless you put a steel skin over the aluminum.

Thanks, that's helpful. Having looked at the list of ideal slider features near the start of this thread I was thinking of something two piece, like Savvy. This seems to have two benefits. First, the outer part can be repaired and / or replaced without having to replace the part that attaches to the body. Second, it means it is possible to use different material for the two parts, reducing weight.

I note the GenRight aluminium version is specified as being for snow or sand only on their website, but that is all aluminium. The Savvy has the step part in steel. If I understand correctly how the two parts fit together that would mean the face on the body and the angled down section would be protected by the steel step. The section under the Jeep protecting the torque box would be protected by the aluminium part the steel step attaches to. Is that correct?

What i'm interested in is the appropriate thickness for that aluminium part the steel step is attached to.

Thanks, that's helpful. Having looked at the list of ideal slider features near the start of this thread I was thinking of something two piece, like Savvy. This seems to have two benefits. First, the outer part can be repaired and / or replaced without having to replace the part that attaches to the body. Second, it means it is possible to use different material for the two parts, reducing weight.

I note the GenRight aluminium version is specified as being for snow or sand only on their website, but that is all aluminium. The Savvy has the step part in steel. If I understand correctly how the two parts fit together that would mean the face on the body and the angled down section would be protected by the steel step. The section under the Jeep protecting the torque box would be protected by the aluminium part the steel step attaches to. Is that correct?

What i'm interested in is the appropriate thickness for that aluminium part the steel step is attached to.

The Savvy aluminum rocker is 3/16" 6061t6 aluminum.
20230325_145033.jpg

20230325_145112.jpg

Reactions: UKTJ
You are only reducing the weight of an equivalent built slider system if both pieces were in steel. The aluminum is to reinforce the tub with a lot of bending resistance, the steel is to protect the aluminum.
I note the GenRight aluminium version is specified as being for snow or sand only on their website, but that is all aluminium. The Savvy has the step part in steel. If I understand correctly how the two parts fit together that would mean the face on the body and the angled down section would be protected by the steel step.

Correct
The section under the Jeep protecting the torque box would be protected by the aluminium part the steel step attaches to. Is that correct?
Also correct.
US- .188" or 3/16", approximately 5mm in your neck of the woods.

In case anyone is thinking of building their own sliders, the BFH Garage has published an excellent new video on YouTube.

BFH slider video
Not my greatest video as well at my first attempt at this project. There are things I would do slightly different, but it was a learning process as I went. The next set will be easier for sure.

Credit goes to Blaine for answering any questions I had along the way. I'm glad I'm not on his ignore list😂

Not my greatest video as well at my first attempt at this project. There are things I would do slightly different, but it was a learning process as I went. The next set will be easier for sure.

Credit goes to Blaine for answering any questions I had along the way. I'm glad I'm not on his ignore list😂

You set a high bar for yourself, I thought it was excellent, both in terms of the video and the underlying content. And the "bang, bang" part was priceless.