TJ Basic Tool Kit

JeepGirl1013

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
New to TJ’s and even newer to working on my own vehicle. You all have given me a lot of confidence that I can do anything!

What are the must halves for my toolbox that I need given that I’ve never worked on cars before? I have your normal household handheld tools. I’m able to rent tools from the auto parts shop as needed, but I am looking for the basic tools that I’m gonna grab pretty much every time I’m working on my TJ for common jobs, fluid changes, etc..

Thanks!

A set of ratchets/sockets/extensions, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, and a torx bit set should set you up to work on most things. Don't go blowing money on big name stuff. Craftsman, Stanley, Crescent, Icon etc. are decent middle-of-the road brands.

Buy the basics when you need them, or wait for sales, unless you're just looking to spend money.

Reactions: red02tj
Really easy to spend money on this thing! Lol I think the only thing I’m missing from that list would be extensions so that’s good! I did pick up a fuel pump and vacuum tester because I think I’m having some issues with the fuel system but I’m not quite sure what. Was a lot cheaper than buying parts and guessing lol.

Reactions: MikekiM
I did pick up a fuel pump and vacuum tester

I think that one is cheap enough, but I'd recommend avoiding specialty tools until you have more experience and know what you need vs what you'll only use once.

Just FYI if this is the type of gauge you're talking about it most likely won't be able to handle your fuel pressure as they're generally limited to 10 psi. The vacuum side is still usable if you learn how to use it, it can help diagnose a few issues.
1705692322632.png

A set of ratchets/sockets/extensions, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, and a torx bit set should set you up to work on most things. Don't go blowing money on big name stuff. Craftsman, Stanley, Crescent, Icon etc. are decent middle-of-the road brands.

Buy the basics when you need them, or wait for sales, unless you're just looking to spend money.

I really like these sets

Tekton

1705692369320.jpeg

Milwaukee

1705692460310.png

I think that one is cheap enough, but I'd recommend avoiding specialty tools until you have more experience and know what you need vs what you'll only use once.

Just FYI if this is the type of gauge you're talking about it most likely won't be able to handle your fuel pressure as they're generally limited to 10 psi. The vacuum side is still usable if you learn how to use it, it can help diagnose a few issues.
View attachment 492715

Oh dang that is what I got! It’s says it’s for the fuel pump 😡

Oh dang that is what I got! It’s says it’s for the fuel pump 😡

Low pressure pumps. So typical carburetor stuff that operates in the 3-7psi range. FI operates much higher. The vacuum side of that gauge is still useful for you. Just look up ways to use it.

Reactions: JeepGirl1013
  • Ratcheting wrenches are a game changer. 3+ years on my gear wrench set
I second this. I have the standard length & stubby length sets of standard & metric. I've had them around 20 years now and they've made numerous jobs easier.

I'd also recommend a short pry bar, spare fuse assortment, wire cutters/crimpers, some wiring connectors, and some electrical tape.

Reactions: red02tj
Recommendations?

You'd be hard-pressed to find a kit tailored to your specific needs. I'd suggest figuring out what you need, what you want and how you want to carry/store it, then build a kit. I went the tool roll route and built it out to cover multiple vehicles so that I have just one tool roll to grab when I want to take it.

Reactions: JMT and WVJeep304