TJ Basic Tool Kit

Yknow, jokes aside, I actually keep losing the 13mm while working on Jeeps...

Dude I'm glad I'm not the only one that looses them,so many fasteners that are 13mm😆 i.e battery tray,support/mounts from the body to the fender,the fenders themselves and alot more!
Plus one for the Tekton. Their range of sizes and no skips is unmatched.
Yeah the fact the mm set goes up to 24 mil. comes in very handy especially for the many lugnuts that that 24 mil has seen! I've had that set since I was 14 and I've hammered them sockets literally and with an Impact wrench for when I didn't have their specific impact sockets!
The tekton socket set is awesome to say the least. But after time the plastic box everything is in is horrible, I'm scared to even stand it up vertically cause everything shift outta place but nothing a piece of foam can't fix !
Pro tip just don't use the ratchet as a hammer 😉 other than that it's great!......same for the milwauke or any other ratchet i suppose😆

but for full time Cary in my jeep I have a milwaukee socket set,the square end has came in clutch when I did my cats since it's an awkward job

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ
  1. A socket set (I got a milwaukee set)
  2. Breaker bar(which my tekton kit has)
  3. A milwaukee Stubby 3/8(
  4. Needle nose pliers
  5. Adjustable wrench
  6. Zipties and electrical tape
  7. Torx keys
  8. Crank/cam sensor
  9. Ngk/Ntk Throttle position sensor
  10. And a Obd2 scanner
  11. Optional but not bad to have imo. Would a map sensor and iac, never had a single issue with those so I haven't bothered to get some to have as spares
And my soft shackles&kinetic rope as well
Just need a way to have my tools more organized and mounted elsewhere in a better manner instead of just thrown in a bag behind my seat,but hey it works !

Edit- For the guy that said bailing wire that's a good one !
Also,not getting into all the trail stuff you need,i.e powetank and stuff to air up/down and etc.

It bothers me to buy a "set" and then break it up by keeping some of the tools in the Jeep and some in the toolbox, so I try to piece the Jeep kit together out of individual tools...which can get really expensive buying new since individual tools are often priced about 2x what they add up to as part of a set. If you go in already knowing what a new one would cost, you can have some decent luck at pawn shops, but be aware and don't go in and pay new retail for a beat up old used ratchet. Garage and estate sales are a little better because they're not trying to run a business.

When I started putting my current kit together a couple weeks ago I had enough duplicates to already be 90% of the way there. I'm short a couple of wrenches, and since I just bought a new M18 impact I want to build out my impact socket collection which means I may split up my 20 year old Craftsman impact set to fill out the Jeep kit.

I try to piece the Jeep kit together out of individual tools...which can get really expensive buying new since individual tools are often priced about 2x what they add up to as part of a set.

I've gone about it this way, I figured out what I wanted and looked for sales, usually around the holidays or right after, but I'm in no rush for new tools. I just picked up an 11-piece set of Craftsman wrenches at lowes for $20+tax (originally priced around $50)

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Yeah the fact the mm set goes up to 24 mil. comes in very handy especially for the many lugnuts that that 24 mil has seen! I've had that set since I was 14 and I've hammered them sockets literally and with an Impact wrench for when I didn't have their specific impact sockets!
The tekton socket set is awesome to say the least. But after time the plastic box everything is in is horrible, I'm scared to even stand it up vertically cause everything shift outta place but nothing a piece of foam can't fix !

After some thinking, I think I want 2 socket sets total.

3/8” set of chrome sockets for daily use and fitting in tight spots, and a 1/2” impact set for trucks/when the big impact has to come out.

The only problem I forsee is the 3/8” chrome sockets being used w/ an impact, but I don’t think it will be an issue.

It’s funny, if you look at Milwaukee’s marketing material for the M12 stubby, they have it with a chrome socket in some pics 😆

Reactions: D's Jeep Wrld
I’m curious, how did a squared edge socket help you with dropping the cats?

Me not having a 9/16 wrench,learned my lesson,as well there's spots where I can't can't get a ratchet wrench&socket so I use the socket and a combo wrench,To note im missing alot of sizes when it comes to combo wrenches,I only gots metric and a adjustable wrench 🙃 So im struggling because I want too
Also when I did my cam&head swap I sure as hell made sure to have a flex head ratcheting combo wrench,

The square end Makes perfect sense to have imo,Milwaukee made a solid choice on that for sure !
It’s funny, if you look at Milwaukee’s marketing material for the M12 stubby, they have it with a chrome socket in some pics 😆
Just paint the chrome with black paint
....bam impact sockets 😉,nothin to worry about 😆

Me not having a 9/16 wrench,learned my lesson,as well there's spots where I can't can't get a ratchet wrench&socket so I use the socket and a combo wrench,
That’s where having a super long extension comes into play.

The square end Makes perfect sense to have imo,Milwaukee made a solid choice on that for sure !
I was curious about that, it seems like the squared edge would occupy a larger footprint than regular sockets.

That’s where having a super long extension comes into play.

I was curious about that, it seems like the squared edge would occupy a larger footprint than regular sockets.

I just found my self using a small extension,it's an awkward job doing the cats,helps not having an intake in the way 🙃 when I changed my head it was a breeze though

One could dislike the square edge if anything it should be the same size or slightly bigger than a round socket if one were to measure its overall size....width/diameter
If anything I still got my tekton kit that's just sitting there in my garage 🙂,in which the sockets are round !
Edit- to add another plus for the Milwauke sockets is that they don't roll out to Narnia cause they're square😆,don't get me wrong they can still roll but it takes more more for them to do so compared to a round socket!

I just found my self using a small extension,it's an awkward job doing the cats,helps not having an intake in the way 🙃 when I changed my head it was a breeze though

One could dislike the square edge if anything it should be the same size or slightly bigger than a round socket if one were to measure its overall size....width/diameter
If anything I still got my tekton kit that's just sitting there in my garage 🙂,in which the sockets are round !
Edit- to add another plus for the Milwauke sockets is that they don't roll out to Narnia cause they're square😆,don't get me wrong they can still roll but it takes more more for them to do so compared to a round socket!

The other benefit of the squares is that they can't turn so when you place them in you can make sure you place them with the size facing up which is easier for me to read than the size molded into the case.

The other benefit of the squares is that they can't turn so when you place them in you can make sure you place them with the size facing up which is easier for me to read than the size molded into the case.

Agreed!

These arrived today. Very easy to read

IMG_0528.jpeg

• Love