TJ headlights much improved

Huckster

TJ Enthusiast
So i just kept looking at and reading and researching LED headlights to replace the poor stock lights i was running. As a stopgap solution i bought some $25 x 2 Sylvaniasealed beams at the local Atlanta about parts store. They were a bit better, but still not great. I started thinking why not get som halogens with new glass lenses and then if i want, i can later replace the halogens with LEDs. I found some great lenses made by Hella and sold by Quadratec. Plug and play with som slight beam adjustment. I bought the lenses that came with 60/55 watt H4 bulbs. Quadratec also sells H4 bulbs in the 100 watt high beam/55 low beam wattage range for about $15. I bought those too. Here are photos of after. I wish I had the before for comparison. I am pretty happy.

8010F795-4E8B-43A4-A208-56C50DCB79D7.jpeg

F7D91ED5-AD5B-4E13-89F9-B6745ED2B87A.jpeg

You won't want to replace those halogen bulbs with LED bulbs, trust me.

A halogen lens is designed for the light output of a halogen bulb. When you put an HID or LED bulb into a halogen lens, it throws the light output in all sorts of places it shouldn't be, and then you become that a$$hole driver with the blindingly bright headlights.

LEDs (and HIDs) use either projectors or reflector housings that were specifically designed to control the output of that type of light. A halogen bulb is completely different, and they shouldn't be mixed and matched.

Can't tell you how often I see people doing this on cars and trucks.

Anyways, just throwing that out there so you know. When it's time to upgrade, make sure to get real LED headlights (you can read more about good ones here: Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options).

Good to know that you've got something better than stock though for now!

U are right about my not wanting to be the jerk driver blinding everyone else. I think you are correct about not putting LEDs into H4 lenses. I also thought the H4 gave pretty good light for not a lot of cash, instead of spending $150 for a LED that got mediocre reviews. I als wanted to fling out there something that worked for me and might help someone else

U are right about my not wanting to be the jerk driver blinding everyone else. I think you are correct about not putting LEDs into H4 lenses. I also thought the H4 gave pretty good light for not a lot of cash, instead of spending $150 for a LED that got mediocre reviews. I als wanted to fling out there something that worked for me and might help someone else
Can you link the web address of what you bought? I’m looking to upgrade my headlights and fog lights but don’t want to spend a fortune. Yours looks great, so I’d like to look into those exact lights....

Hella E-Code housings and H4 bulbs can be purchased here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72SKQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The Cibie version is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079J5VG1Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

In my humble opinion halogen bulbs are a better option than LED headlamps - especially the cheap Chinese LED's and knockoff products.

I have the same hella lens and they are good, it was an improvement. It even came with bulbs which I will run till they burn out and then find a little different bulb.

I have the same hella lens and they are good, it was an improvement. It even came with bulbs which I will run till they burn out and then find a little different bulb.

When you do replace the bulbs go with Phillips Extreme Vision +100 bulbs. Noticeable improvement over the Hella bulbs. I also run the Hella H4 housings.

Hey Huckster - what was you all in price for the Halogens?
Lou