TJ kayak carrier

Ebaron

Supporting Member
So it’s not trailer, but I did this build as we tow the TJ behind a Class C RV, and needed to haul our kayaks and bikes. What I quickly learned was the advantage of having it all on the Jeep, once you get to your resting spot, no unloading from the RV. Just hop into the Jeep and off to the Kayak launch or Biking spot. Plus, hauling kayaks on a Class C is pretty tough, esp. if you have bikes also.

I looked at other racks out there, some were wimpy I thought, but I did somewhat copy one good out there, forget the name. Plus I needed a reason to get a tube bender! Quite happy with the results, being my first stab at tube bending. I like that I was able to follow the rooflines unlike many of the ones out there, so it looks less like a cage. Also threw some boat rollers on the end which makes load, unload a lot easier. Very happy with how I strap them down vs. using the commercial kayak carriers. I’ve got over 10,000 miles on this carrier with never a problem.

Copying a design, I made it so it’s easy to disassemble and lift off top, but frankly have never done that. I’ll need to add some upper taillights soone as when carrying bikes with a cover, your taillights are obstructed. So if you build one, consider that.

sorry other than pictures, I don’t think I have dimensions. Built this around 2017. If you’re interested in more detail to build one, I va get some clovers pictures. Used 1.5” tube for front and rear hoops And just followed roofline. 1” tubes run front to back, bolted in. Cross bars also 1” tube. Had it all powder coated. Yes, my welds need improvement!

here’s the pics

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0795.jpeg

Ignore the upright Kayak carriers in the pic, I’ve never used them. Was thinking setting it up to carry 3-4 kayaks on their side if more were needed. on our first trip to Canadian Rockies, kayak rentals were $90/ hr or something crazy like that. Was sure to use that example to justify buying the tube bender!

NICE WORK! Not many can or have the equipment to build such a nice piece. For my YJ, I bought from EXR: https://www.smsparts.com/ which has some pretty good set ups that are customizable and multifunctional. Found them at JEEP BEACH about a year ago in Daytona. It will accommodate two kayaks using two cradles which are either flat or concaved to fit the contour of the hull of your yak. They are removed with a push of a button and lifted out. Check out their webpage for options and specs.