Using the DRB III to Calibrate a New Cam Sensor in the 4.0 Engine (2000-2006)

Got my ThinkDiag2 and hooked it up. Here are my results:
  1. Installed an Echlin sensor since I heard good things about theirs, but got the same code so I swapped back to OEM a few days ago.
  2. Today ThinkDiag2 showed a Cam Crank Difference of 5.5deg at idle that fluctuated up to 6.0deg while driving. Learned was 0.8deg.
  3. Rotated OPDA to get a live reading around 0.1deg, set to relearn, and cleared my P0344 code.
  4. Live data showed Difference going between 0.0 and 0.5deg and Learned set to 0deg. Hit the gas on a test drive and went into limp mode with P0344 again. Live data showed that Difference froze at 0.5deg and Cam Sync State changed from In Sync to Out Of Sync.

IMG_0400.jpeg

Is that 0.5deg of slop concerning? Is it causing a fault when it goes over some threshold? Any suggestions for next steps? My ideas are to follow the service manual and check ground and voltage at the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and PCM and try a replacement crankshaft sensor. I noticed the sensors look the same besides how they are mounted, so that makes me wonder if replacement crankshaft sensors have the same issues as the camshaft sensor.

Three comments/questions:
  1. How many miles on you engine? Don't overlook a mechanical problem. Have the cam drive chain and sprockets ever been changed? If those are worn, they can affect the sync. Not saying that's it, but it's one thing to investigate.
  2. You don't say which sensor your replaced with the Echlin and then replaced back with the original sensor. Cam or crank position?
  3. What made you decide to change that sensor?

Got my ThinkDiag2 and hooked it up. Here are my results:
  1. Installed an Echlin sensor since I heard good things about theirs, but got the same code so I swapped back to OEM a few days ago.
  2. Today ThinkDiag2 showed a Cam Crank Difference of 5.5deg at idle that fluctuated up to 6.0deg while driving. Learned was 0.8deg.
  3. Rotated OPDA to get a live reading around 0.1deg, set to relearn, and cleared my P0344 code.
  4. Live data showed Difference going between 0.0 and 0.5deg and Learned set to 0deg. Hit the gas on a test drive and went into limp mode with P0344 again. Live data showed that Difference froze at 0.5deg and Cam Sync State changed from In Sync to Out Of Sync.

View attachment 520130

Is that 0.5deg of slop concerning? Is it causing a fault when it goes over some threshold? Any suggestions for next steps? My ideas are to follow the service manual and check ground and voltage at the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and PCM and try a replacement crankshaft sensor. I noticed the sensors look the same besides how they are mounted, so that makes me wonder if replacement crankshaft sensors have the same issues as the camshaft sensor.

Sounds like you dialed in the cam/crank difference after yanking the Napa part. So maybe the part would have worked if the difference was dialed in?

Three comments/questions:
  1. How many miles on you engine? Don't overlook a mechanical problem. Have the cam drive chain and sprockets ever been changed? If those are worn, they can affect the sync. Not saying that's it, but it's one thing to investigate.
  2. You don't say which sensor your replaced with the Echlin and then replaced back with the original sensor. Cam or crank position?
  3. What made you decide to change that sensor?

It’s an ‘06 LJ with 66k. I hope it’s not mechanical so I’m trying to work through troubleshooting the camshaft sensor codes (P0344 and another has popped up in between the 4 or 5 code clears I’ve done, something like P0340, I remember it was just a few off the other and referenced the camshaft sensor).

I replaced the OEM camshaft position sensor (may have been replaced by the dealership under warranty when newish), but since that didn’t help I figured I should stick with the OEM sensor.

It’s an ‘06 LJ with 66k. I hope it’s not mechanical so I’m trying to work through troubleshooting the camshaft sensor codes (P0344 and another has popped up in between the 4 or 5 code clears I’ve done, something like P0340, I remember it was just a few off the other and referenced the camshaft sensor).

I replaced the OEM camshaft position sensor (may have been replaced by the dealership under warranty when newish), but since that didn’t help I figured I should stick with the OEM sensor.

I’d hold on to the dealer camshaft position sensor if it’s a Mopar…I thought those have been unavailable for years.