Welding tip?

I feel the same way about flux core machines, they may have a place but not in my hands.

I would run flux core, but only under a few conditions. My welder buddy would have to come and help me set it up for dual shield and get that dialed in. There isn't an easier way to weld some very high stressed parts. That would be the second condition which is welding high stress parts like you find on bulldozers and whatnot. Since I'm never going to do that, we share the same opinion of flux core.

Reactions: Shank
that analogy makes sense. I've been thinking of it backward...like if I start out with a .410 I'll be forced to get good so by the time I jump to the 12 gauge I'll be expert. But that doesn't happen if I can't hit the target with .410 at least often enough to figure out what I need to change.

When you say real welder, I read that as a standard ~210A MIG from one of the big players (Miller, Lincoln Hobart) and not one of those fancy multiprocess rigs that have built in AI to make better results, because I seem to remember seeing you comment before that those make it easy to develop bad habits.

Knowing what I know now I don't think I would have got the machine I got (it will do 110V or 220V) and would have went for the little bit larger 220V only machine. However, mine will very likely do everything I will ever need.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
A 7 minute video with 5 of it being a Christmas party.

What I gathered, a straight line is better than weaving? I thought the whip/pause technique was beneficial as it preheats the metal in front giving you that needed penetration.

I may need to go practice the straight push method.

Before you try to do all the fancy bob and weave, lazy s patterns and all the other techniques, learn to read the dot or bubble in your weld. If you will keep it about 3/16'' to a 1/4 '' inch away from where the wire is melting into the metal you will learn how to control your speed. An old welder guy that taught me to weld would smack my hand if I didn't keep the bubble the correct distance. JMHO.

Before you try to do all the fancy bob and weave, lazy s patterns and all the other techniques, learn to read the dot or bubble in your weld. If you will keep it about 3/16'' to a 1/4 '' inch away from where the wire is melting into the metal you will learn how to control your speed. An old welder guy that taught me to weld would smack my hand if I didn't keep the bubble the correct distance. JMHO.

The reason that folks don't like to weld correctly by just going straight and holding it in the root is that method shows off every single minute deficiency you have with your weld ability. When you can run a near perfect pass without doing the weeble wobble bullshit, then you're dialed in. I'm reasonably close, I don't do it enough to get any better.

DSC01387.JPG

DSC01224.JPG

Agree. Watching the puddle helps alot. Once I started doing that my welds improved quite a bit.

Reactions: Shank and NskLJ
Here are a few tip I have learned along the way. I am nowhere near an expert welder but have been certified in 2,3 & 4 G structural arc 1” plate to maintain my job, but we have “welders” that handle the most of the welding projects.
Buy a 220 welder, nothing worse than running out of juice 1/2 way through a weld.
Clean, fit and secure your part to be welded. Parts moving while welding doesn’t help the weld.
Test your welder and adjust it on a piece of scrap of the same size.
Clean you nozzle and tip before starting.
Clean or replace your welding lens so you can see. I now keep my helmet and face shield in welding bags ($9 on Amazon)
Do a dry run on the weld to make sure you can get it done without repositioning your body half way through.
Wear protective clothing trying to put out a molten piece of metal on your forearm while running a bead doesn’t help the final product.
My 2 cents, I am guilty of all these but when I slow down do it right it helps.

Here are a few tip I have learned along the way. I am nowhere near an expert welder but have been certified in 2,3 & 4 G structural arc 1” plate to maintain my job, but we have “welders” that handle the most of the welding projects.
Buy a 220 welder, nothing worse than running out of juice 1/2 way through a weld.
Clean, fit and secure your part to be welded. Parts moving while welding doesn’t help the weld.
Test your welder and adjust it on a piece of scrap of the same size.
Clean you nozzle and tip before starting.
Clean or replace your welding lens so you can see. I now keep my helmet and face shield in welding bags ($9 on Amazon)
Do a dry run on the weld to make sure you can get it done without repositioning your body half way through.
Wear protective clothing trying to put out a molten piece of metal on your forearm while running a bead doesn’t help the final product.
My 2 cents, I am guilty of all these but when I slow down do it right it helps.

All valid point. Slowing down is a huge help, I typically find myself in a time crunch on every welding project. It certainly does not help at all.