What amount of miles is too high?

skinnyguinea

I am trying to find a TJ for less than 9k and a lot of them have high milage (200k-250k). If I find a rust free TJ with a lot of mile like this, should I still consider it? Not really sure how well jeeps long term. Thanks!

So high mileage doesn't always equate to "bad." Depends on how well it has been treated and maintained over those miles. This is typically some what easy to tell when looking at the vehicle and talking with the owner(s). The 4.0 is a pretty damn solid engine, I'm not very familiar with the 4 cylinder options. Like Mutant mentioned, check the frame for rust, especially if your in the north or on the coast. Also, I'd have about another $1K set aside for "general maintenance" items, as there are going to be items that need to be replaced. Good luck.

Reactions: pbeach and BlueC
I am trying to find a TJ for less than 9k and a lot of them have high milage (200k-250k)

I see you're here in NC. Your price is reasonable for a lower mileage Jeep than 200K+, but sellers are still hoping for sky-high prices, so you'll have to look a little longer. A member here just bought (November) a decent looking, relatively stock TJ for $6,500, and I'm pretty sure it has somewhere around 150K on it.

To answer your mileage question, that all depends. If the vehicle was well cared for, then 200-300K is very possible. If it was beat on, then 200K is dead. The overall condition of the vehicle (scratches, dents, rust, etc.) can give you clues as to how the vehicle was used and cared for.

Also, rust, not light surface rust, scares me more than anything.

but sellers are still hoping for sky-high prices, so you'll have to look a little longer.

This is 100% accurate. It took me over a month to find mine. Funny thing is, there were a few that I made an offer on and they turned their nose up at me. Now they are still on MP listed below my offer.

Reactions: BlueC
I just bought (about 2.5 weeks ago) a 97 Sport 4.0/5spd with a 3.5” Rubicon Express lift (and lots of other goodies) with just 116k miles on it for $8500… so they’re out here.

I got my 02 with 112k for $3500. I felt bad asking him to come down a little further. I mean, not so bad that I didn't ask. Plus it came with about a grand worth of extras I sold off. Deals are out there, it takes 3 things as far as I can tell: (1) patience, (2) cash on hand, and (3) willingness to drive a ways and come back empty handed.

The covid new car scarcity drove up used cars for a bit. Economic downturn and fuel prices is taking it back down.
There are plenty of clowns thinking they can get jk/jl prices for their tj's By association. Ignore them and wait for a seller that isn't a con artist

The covid new car scarcity drove up used cars for a bit. Economic downturn and fuel prices is taking it back down.

Not that it directly affects older vehicles like TJs, but I've been hearing from a few people on the inside that repo rates on those overpriced covid vehicles are out of control, and they're trying to figure out what to do now. A flood of repos could help bring those prices back down to reasonable.

Funny story, I overheard a conversation a few months ago about a local guy getting a Bently or Rolls repo'd. Apparently, someone had approved his loan for the car, something north of $200,000, with a 40,000 income, then he quit paying. :LOL: Now the lender is scrambling to recover what they can. I need to check in and see how that story ended, if it has.

Not that it directly affects older vehicles like TJs, but I've been hearing from a few people on the inside that repo rates on those overpriced covid vehicles are out of control, and they're trying to figure out what to do now. A flood of repos could help bring those prices back down to reasonable.

Funny story, I overheard a conversation a few months ago about a local guy getting a Bently or Rolls repo'd. Apparently, someone had approved his loan for the car, something north of $200,000, with a 40,000 income, then he quit paying. :LOL: Now the lender is scrambling to recover what they can. I need to check in and see how that story ended, if it has.

History repeating itself. Handing out credit to any old joe blow had just a little bit to do with a recession recently... i wonder how many stupid moves can be made during uncle joes term?

Reactions: Frankm and BlueC
Yeah I’m gonna look at an 02 in good condition with 199k miles on it. They are asking 8250 and based on what y’all have told me it almost sounds too high. Apparently a new engine was put in at around 130k but I can’t confirm that

"What amount of miles is too high?"
———————————————————————————————-

o_O

2000 Jeep Sport​

$1,800

About this vehicle​

Driven 355,740 miles

• Wow
Reactions: John Cooper
If you’ve got some room in your budget. From another member in the south. @trojandawg https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2003-jeep-wrangler-tj-sport-for-sale-georgia.76931/

Good fine thanks! I'll have to see if I can stretch my budget to make this work

I have personally seen and done some forest service roads with @trojandawg and this Jeep. I can say what he is asking is a dang good price.

It would well be worth a look.

Yeah I’m gonna look at an 02 in good condition with 199k miles on it. They are asking 8250 and based on what y’all have told me it almost sounds too high. Apparently a new engine was put in at around 130k but I can’t confirm that
1714824560294.png

HlFN4vB.jpg

I got this 2003 4.0L 5sp manual w/250K for $3,000 in FL last summer. Rainstorm picked it up, drove it 2 hours back to Daytona Beach (vacation), then 1600 miles back home. I usually would NEVER take that chance but , got lucky

I never buy used vehicles with over 50K usually, but got it from a State Dept contractor I know that left the US permanently. He did a fuel rail upgrade and several other engine parts already. No real need, just another spare vehicle I decided to get for my 10 year old when hes 16

Ive put $3,000-$4,000 back into it with all new front and rear PowerStop brakes (Huuuge improvement), new Rancho 2.5” lift, new interior carpet, new rag top, new stereo system (-$1000), new JL rims and tires, new HD ZJ steering and new Lares steering gear. Used half doors, used hard top, new soft upper doors, etc. Everything is LED also. Rides and feels like new

So in my opinion, spend as little as possible on a clean body 4.0L manual trans, and plan on rebuilding the weak dilapidated parts afterwards.
This is the same Jeep end of 2023
0MKT1SB.jpg

Last edited:
"What amount of miles is too high?"
———————————————————————————————-

o_O

2000 Jeep Sport​

$1,800

About this vehicle​

Driven 355,740 miles

Thats not too bad if its a CLEAN 4.0L, manual
Toss the engine, get a replacement and all new TB , fuel rail, injectors sensors, etc

I could rebuild that Jeep and still be under $10K with everything new under it and in the bay. End of the day it always comes down to - HOW much can you do mechanically on your own, and do you have the liquid cash

I wouldn't instantly write it off, but I'm not a buyer at that price. If it's in good condition, and you're comfortable with it after checking it out, make an offer. The worst they can say is no.

Also, when someone says something like an engine or trans has been replaced, that throws red flags to me. I'd want the story, then receipts documenting everything. If anything doesn't line up, I'd run.

Reactions: TheBoogieman