What did you do to your TJ today?

Bought it.

1000006624.jpg

And took it apart.

1000006633.jpg

Are these a quick disconnect type flap holder? If they are, where did you get them?

They are, I'll take pics when I get it back tomorrow. Heres what I got, it's a small bracket that the bar slides into with a pin. You could probably make it yourself for half the price if you sourced all the stuff yourself. Here's a link.
Mud Flaps

@red02tj red and tan gang!
1000007010.jpg

Finally got around to painting the front bumper again.

A word to the wise... Don't strip the factory powder coat off the bumper and paint it with a rattle can. it doesn't hold up. This is what rattle can looks like after a years time. interesting to observe in general how much "sandblasting" really occurs to the front end of vehicles though.
IMG_6213.jpeg

A word to the wise... Don't strip the factory powder coat off the bumper and paint it with a rattle can. it doesn't hold up. This is what rattle can looks like after a years time. interesting to observe in general how much "sandblasting" really occurs to the front end of vehicles though.
View attachment 527753

Any tips on how to paint the bumper, from you or anyone else? Repainting the bumper is on my to do list for this spring/summer.

Any tips on how to paint the bumper, from you or anyone else? Repainting the bumper is on my to do list for this spring/summer.

I’ve never done it, but if you don’t have access or the know-how of a sandblaster, then I would HIGHLY recommend SEM paints. They are absolutely amazing. They have a line specific for bumpers

I applied rattle can to the rear bumper factory powder coat that was just sun faded. It has held up exceptionally well, though it's on the rear of the vehicle.

Im hoping to find a faded front bumper soon in decent shape otherwise to rattle can over the powder coat. should be way easier to touch up compared to where I put myself currently by stripping the bumper to bare metal last time.

I didnt put much effort into redoing the front bumper today with sanding because im expecting to replace it sooner than later. looks good from 5' at the right angles... but dont get too close to examine the craters in the paint. :ROFLMAO:

I applied rattle can to the rear bumper factory powder coat that was just sun faded. It has held up exceptionally well, though it's on the rear of the vehicle.

Im hoping to find a faded front bumper soon in decent shape otherwise to rattle can over the powder coat. should be way easier to touch up compared to where I put myself currently by stripping the bumper to bare metal last time.

I didnt put much effort into redoing the front bumper today with sanding because im expecting to replace it sooner than later. looks good from 5' at the right angles... but dont get too close to examine the craters in the paint. :ROFLMAO:

I've had good luck with rattle cans on front and rear bumpers too. Just clean the bumpers good with some sort of cleaner/degreaser, and apply a couple of light coats, with a 3rd slightly heavier coat. Works good for me!

I've had good luck with rattle cans on front and rear bumpers too. Just clean the bumpers good with some sort of cleaner/degreaser, and apply a couple of light coats, with a 3rd slightly heavier coat. Works good for me!

Gloss Black Rustoleum Professional is really tough. If you use the brush on stuff and let it dry properly it's almost as good as powder coat. We've used it on our offroad rigs and trailers for years now with good results.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Zorba
They are, I'll take pics when I get it back tomorrow. Heres what I got, it's a small bracket that the bar slides into with a pin. You could probably make it yourself for half the price if you sourced all the stuff yourself. Here's a link.
Mud Flaps

@red02tj red and tan gang!
View attachment 527745

Gotta love the red and tan!
IMG_2628.jpeg

Rattle can clear, a couple of layers of your favorite sheen and let that be the sacrificial layer

Stripped her down. Off with top and doors. Was running just windowless due to crazy weather. Installed an Alien sunshield. Was planning to attend a GO TOPLESS day event but had to cancel. Plan to do some bak road cruising later today and tomorrow.

Reactions: L J

View attachment 527753

I had mine powder coated. Someone suggested bed liner but I'll see how this holds up. I can always rattle can over the powder coat.

Reactions: SPECWAR
Rattle can clear, a couple of layers of your favorite sheen and let that be the sacrificial layer

I had mine powder coated. Someone suggested bed liner but I'll see how this holds up. I can always rattle can over the powder coat.

Decided to just F it and order a new factory bumper via the dealer. $208 out the door and im done with it for another 20 years. :ROFLMAO: just need to wait for it to arrive.

Between the drive time to pick up a mediocre used one for $50-100 a few hours away, prepping for paint or paying likely too much for powder coating and not being happy with the end result not matching... $200 looks to be a pretty fair deal imo.