What does a locker do? Do I need a locker?

Jerry Bransford

Retired
Supporting Member
Here's something I wrote years ago, I thought it might be useful here too.

Why do we need lockers, I thought I had four wheel drive?

We need lockers for tough terrain because the differentials installed into most of our front and rear axles have a characteristic that can turn our 4x4 Jeeps into 4x2 Jeeps in tough traction situations.

A factory differential (often called an "open differential") has a characteristic in that when one wheel loses traction, that wheel will start spinning ineffectively. You've seen that happen before, I'm sure. The bigger problem is that one spinning wheel on an axle causes both wheels to seem like they have very little traction... so even though the wheel on the other non-spinning side may have excellent traction, that non-spinning wheel won't receive enough power to keep you moving. Why? Because the differential screws up and only "sends power" to the wheel that is spinning. That is not technically totally accurate but it illustrates the problem very nicely, with a more technically accurate explanation as follows.

So the engine, via the drive shaft and differential, is seeing very little resistance from the axle with the spinning tire. So what? If the engine sees little resistance, it develops little torque. Low resistance to the engine, low developed torque. Lots of resistance to the engine causes it to develop lots of torque. Connect a dynamometer to an engine without a load on it and it'll show very little developed torque. Now put a brake of some kind against the engine output shaft (to add resistance) and the amount of torque developed by the engine will suddenly and dramatically rise. No resistance, very little developed torque... high resistance, a high amount of developed torque.

When a wheel starts spinning, the reduced resistance the engine sees from the axle causes the engine to dramatically reduce the torque it sends to the axle. Here's what else is going on that is a key to understanding this whole thing... a stock factory differential ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS splits the torque it receives from the engine 50:50 to each wheel. Exactly 50-50, every time. So when one wheel is spinning and the engine torque decreases dramatically because of that, the OTHER wheel that still has good traction is seeing 50% of the greatly reduced torque. In fact, the torque sent to the axle is reduced so greatly that when the differential divides it 50-50, there is insufficient torque for the wheel with good traction to keep you moving. This means you're stuck!

So when you're driving on a dry paved road, both tires are receiving equal amounts of power and the high traction they're seeing from the dry road helps the engine to develop maximum torque. Both tires are pushing equally with lots of available torque. Now jack up a wheel (or lift it with a rock on a trail you just drove over) and you're not going to move even though the other tireis still on the ground. The tire in the air is spinning like crazy, causing the torque that axle receives from the engine to go right into the toilet.

So, when one tire on the axle is spinning, you don't have enough power for the other tireto keep you moving. For obvious reasons, all this is a huge problem for a 2wd vehicle (just one axle to drive you). It works exactly the same for a 4x4 but you have one more axle to assist in keeping you moving. But if one tire per axle has poor traction, you are stuck... since one spinning tireper axle is enough to reduce all developed torque from the engine down below the point the Jeep needs to move forward.

OK, we know what the problem is now, what's the fix? One, you could STEP ON THE BRAKES a little... which would stop the tire(s) from spinning so more torque would be developed, which should be enough for the OTHER tire that still has good traction to get you moving again. Stepping on the brakes forces the engine to work harder so it develops more torque which is sent to the wheels... so that gets more torque sent to the wheel (both actually) that still has traction so you may be able to get unstuck. Yes, stepping on the brakes (to a point best learned by practice) works rather well in these situations. Just about all drivers used to know that technique when few roads were paved... but it's just about a lost art now.

So what does a locker do? It mechanically LOCKS the left and right wheel together to overcome the above problems. It won't allow one wheel to start spinning while the other sits doing nothing. The left and right wheels are mechanically locked together.

Automatic lockers keep the left and right sides locked together except when you turn left or right, where it will automatically unlock the outside wheel during the turn until after the turn is completed at which time it locks up again. When the locker unlocks for a turn, the outside wheel is allowed to rotate faster than the inside wheel so it doesn't hop and skip during the turn. The inside wheel is driving during a turn with an automatic locker-equipped vehicle. The locker automatically locks again once both wheels are turning at the same RPMs again.

The problem with an automatic locker is that most are not very street friendly when installed in the rear axle. Because they keep the left and right wheels locked together except when forced to unlock for a turn, they can cause unusual handling characteristics like rear-end waggle, tirechirping, disconcerting loud bangs and snaps from the locker, and even sideways sliding down slippery off-camber slopes where they earned the nickname "low-side finder"... which can sometimes produce a high 'pucker-factor' at times. For offroading however, locker's negatives are far outweighed by their benefits in challenging conditions.

But in many Jeeps like the TJ, an automatic locker is fine when installed in the front axle. Since the front axle doesn't receive torque in 2wd, a front automatic locker unlocks easily enough for turns that you may not even notice its presence. Only in 4x4 is the front axle receiving torque which makes it harder for the locker to unlock for turns. About the only conditions where an automatic front locker would not be good in the type of 4x4 system a Wrangler TJ has would be on icy or snow-covered roads where you need 4x4. In 4x4, a front automatic locker would cause understeer (make the Jeep want to drive straight in a turn) which would not be good if the road was slick from snow or ice.

A manual locker is "open" (unlocked) until you actuate it. The ARB Air Locker and the cable-actuated Ox-Locker are examples of manual lockers. These are good because they remain unlocked until you choose to lock them. This eliminates the handling problems automatic lockers have on the streets.

By the way, a locker is installed inside the differential and it replaces the "spider" gears that make a differential work they way it does.

So some Jeepers add lockers in the rear, others add them to the front. I happen to think locking the rear axle first does the most good, but I have installed automatic lockers into both of my axles... which works pretty darned well. But if your rear axle is the notoriously weak Dana 35c that comes stock on all Wranglers except the Rubicon and Unlimited, avoid installing a locker in the rear axle and install it in the front axle instead. Since the front axle rarely receives more than 50% of the torque that the rear axle does, it can usually handle a locker without problem with reasonably sized tires. But if your rear axle is the optional and far stronger Dana 44, by all means install a locker into it if your trails are tough enough to make a locker desirable.

So what's a limited slip differential? First, it is not the same as a locker, not even close. It is more or less an automatic brake for the spinning tire... it performs kind of like when you use the step-on-the-brakes technique so the spinning side gets coupled to the non-spinning side for more resistance so more engine torque can be generated so the non-spinning tire receives more torque from the engine to help get you moving again. It operates as a brake somewhat by coupling the added resistance of the side with more traction/resistance to the side that has less traction/resistance. A LSD depends on some tirespin to get it working so it's not as efficient for challenging terrain as a locker is. But then generally speaking, a LSD is far more "driver friendly" on the streets, which is why we all don't just have lockers in our Jeeps. Offroad a LSD is usually never even close to being able to help as much as a locker does. Especially when the terrain is uneven enough to lift a tire on a LSD equipped axle off the ground. That's when LSDs don't help and lockers are at their best. For driving on icy or slick snow-covered surfaces LSDs are best. But in very rugged uneven terrain, lockers are by far the best choice.

I hope this helped explain what is often a very confusing subject.

I learned the BIG benefits of the Rubis selectable lockers the first year I had mine. Crossing a snow windrow left by the plow truck I had the left front and right rear tires stuffed into the wheel wells while the right front and left rear tires hung in the air spinning. Cursing my luck I circled the Jeep a few times.... wishing I had a shovel before the light bulb came on.... "Bill It is a Rubi... try the lockers". Back in, 4LO, lock up both diffs, let the clutch out and IDLE off the windrow !!

For that reason I say get lockers BEFORE buying a winch !! And while every situation is different.. I prefer the selectable locker. I think it is the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Just knowing the lockers are there if I ever need them is a great piece of mind.

Reactions: H_E_H
For those looking to understand the engineering behind a differential this is by far and away the best tutorial I've ever seen -

That one has been doing a lot of rounds on the Internet lately. It's a great demonstration of how a differential works!

That one has been doing a lot of rounds on the Internet lately. It's a great demonstration of how a differential works!
The easiest way I've ever found to wrap my head around it is to understand torque a bit. Torque is a function of resistance. If you have no resistance, you can't develop torque. The reason an open differential won't spin both tires when one is in the air is due to the tire on the ground only getting the exact amount of torque that it takes to spin the tire in the air due to an open diff always delivering the exact same amount to each side.

The easiest way I've ever found to wrap my head around it is to understand torque a bit. Torque is a function of resistance. If you have no resistance, you can't develop torque. The reason an open differential won't spin both tires when one is in the air is due to the tire on the ground only getting the exact amount of torque that it takes to spin the tire in the air due to an open diff always delivering the exact same amount to each side.

Good way of putting it, hadn't heard that one before but it makes perfect sense.

For that reason I say get lockers BEFORE buying a winch !! And while every situation is different.. I prefer the selectable locker. I think it is the best bang for the buck.
Agreed. I'd also add that its a good idea to learn your Jeep's handling characteristics and learn how to pick lines even before considering lockers. Jeeps with open diffs are extremely capable if you can pick the right line. But some trails simply require lockers. I love my OX selectable front and rear lockers.

Agreed. I'd also add that its a good idea to learn your Jeep's handling characteristics and learn how to pick lines even before considering lockers.

That's great as long as you're with someone with recovery equipment and you can test your jeeps stock limitations with safe backup. But some folks tend to try to attack more than they really can handle....resulting in liberal application of skinny peddle, and while in stock trim it can sometimes result in breakage.
A selectable locker allows you to test those same limits while being able to fall back on the ability of a locker if your get in overy your head.
The older I get, the more I apply the old adage :Work smarter, not harder

Reactions: Ron505 and Chris
Great info on this thread, thanks for posting. I always thought this video did a pretty good job of explaining. As always from these guys, a bit on the kooky side, but the woman is very attractive. :)

Reactions: Chris
Is a Spartan locker considered a LSD? I've been thinking of a front locker for a while now, but I drive on a lot of snow/ice covered roads, and I really don't want to have to shell out $1k for a manual locker.....suggestions?

Reactions: Chris
The locker snobs have spoken, and it's abundantly clear. If you're not running ARB's then you really have no business leaving the pavement.
I don't know why you have that attitude. I like my ARB's just fine, but I also like the TJM air locker, the factory JK front, factory TJ Rubi rear, and the Eaton E-locker that I have. All have worked fine for me and I run the various versions just to see how they do. The only locker I won't run even for free with hand delivery and free installation is the OX and not for the reasons you might venture a guess at.

If you find a true locker snob, send 'em my way and we'll have a little chat.

Reactions: Stinger and Chris
Is a Spartan locker considered a LSD? I've been thinking of a front locker for a while now, but I drive on a lot of snow/ice covered roads, and I really don't want to have to shell out $1k for a manual locker.....suggestions?
db65d7c66e1cfa5918a2837e57bd53a2.jpg
I installed Spartan lockers front and back in September. I love them and I did it myself in a weekend and it only cost me $500 total for both.

I wouldn't recommend them for a daily driver as sometimes they lock up and bang and scares the shit out of me! I've gotten used to it and I know how to drive it better now, but I also don't drive in snow and I could see them locking up and ending up in a ditch somewhere.

Also you can't unlock the front so once you have put your jeep into 4WD really tight turns become impossible and I end up taking it out of 4WD or making 10 point turns.
Anyone who wants quick cheap traction, they are awesome! If I could go back I would save up and get selectable lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only locker I won't run even for free with hand delivery and free installation is the OX and not for the reasons you might venture a guess at.
Do tell. I've successfully run OX front and rear (HPD30/Dana 44) for about 5 years and absolutely love them and have always recommended them. I'm certainly not about to switch them out, but curious as to your cryptic comment above.

Reactions: MellowYellow
Do tell. I've successfully run OX front and rear (HPD30/Dana 44) for about 5 years and absolutely love them and have always recommended them. I'm certainly not about to switch them out, but curious as to your cryptic comment above.
X2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have philosophical issues with the company and it's founders. I was involved in testing and installing some of the first versions and I patiently explained to Reuben and Lazlo that their business mentality was highly flawed and they were doing their customers a disservice because of it. The first shifters had to be held against the shift fork while rolling to get the locker to engage. I told them to spring load it and let the locker engage when the clutch dogs lined up. They ignored me and told me they wanted to be different. I explained that the customer doesn't care if they want to be different, they just want to lock it up and go.

Then I explained the problematic cables and why they needed to offer air shift and electric shift options. They said that OX had to be different and those two options would make them a mamby pampy wannabe non hardcore company.

Then I explained that there was exactly zero benefit to machining a cover out of billet steel and all that did was raise the cost to the end user and a high quality ductile iron forging would serve very well, be much cheaper, and serve the customer by dropping the cost to a more competitive level. Again, they told me I was full of crap and they needed the billet cover to set OX apart from all other lockers.

Time has proven all the things I've said to be 100% spot on and all the things they stood by to be their downfall. I also have inside info from a few folks that were a bit unsettling at that point in time. Essentially they would have been better off taking a 50 dollar bill outside and tossing it in a trash can instead of making a locker due to how fouled up their cost accounting was. At least that way they only lost 50 bucks instead of 50 and the resultant wear and tear on machines and worn out tooling plus the time spent doing the work.

They also offered a lifetime warranty at one point and when I tried to send back the Dana 30 locker to get repaired after it failed, they told me to pound sand.

Then they developed that cluster that was the OX U-joint and slammed all others with their BS to make theirs seem better. They lied about the CTM u-joint by saying that it couldn't be run on the highway according to the directions they had from CTM. I put up a copy of the directions I had that that showed they were lying and it took years for that bit of bullshit to go away because everyone kept repeating it.

Like I said, philosophical differences based on me wanting to give my business to folks that are honorable.

Reactions: Jon Wildes