Which drill press to get?

PNW_LJ

Nut-Swing Salesman
Supporting Member
Looking to buy a stationery drill press for a small fab shop. Will be drilling lots of 1/2” steel on a daily basis, and might do thicker stuff down the line.

Any recommendations on what to look for? New/used? How many hp do I want? Any brands to look for or stay away from?

I'd look for an older Clausing.

1710435863033.png

Reactions: matkal
Thank you for the brand recommendations. Any insight on power, like would 3/4 hp be enough for what I’ve planned?

Give serious thought to you usage scenarios? Would you be better served with a Mag Drill? Think about something beefy enough to run annular cutters if you will be drilling in thicker materials.

Reactions: Shank
Give serious thought to you usage scenarios? Would you be better served with a Mag Drill? Think about something beefy enough to run annular cutters if you will be drilling in thicker materials.

Definitely relevant plus depending on part size (if you don’t go with a mag drill) a small radial may be a great fit.

1710454411967.jpeg

Looking to buy a stationery drill press for a small fab shop. Will be drilling lots of 1/2” steel on a daily basis, and might do thicker stuff down the line.

Any recommendations on what to look for? New/used? How many hp do I want? Any brands to look for or stay away from?

What size hole in .5" and what kind of production numbers?

Reactions: Shank