Arizona Rock Crawler

I used a bucket as well. Maybe I need a taller bucket because it still just wasn’t comfortable on my little stool

I used the bucket to get the tire seated on the wheel, and then tossed them up on two sawhorses so they were more my height. Although I’m kind of short like you, so it was a little high. Once I employed Blaine‘s method on the last three, they went pretty fast.

Last edited:
So far Im really liking how raceline uses replaceable threaded inserts as opposed to most brands threading the aluminum. Super easy to pop out and press in. I’m pretty bad about dragging wheels on rocks so I have a feeling this will come in handy. I’ll report back on how the tires feel on a familiar trail on Sunday.

My trail ready used the ez lock threaded inserts, but oh boy were those a pain to swap out when needed. These inserts look much nicer !!

Needs scratches
IMG_2601.jpeg

Just got done wheeling. My verdict on the tires is that I am very happy. I’ll post my thoughts. Keep in mind my MTRs were pretty worn and I may not be able to fully remember how they were when they were newer. My views may be affected by just going from worn tires to new tires but from what I can remember, I was more impressed today with these tires than I was when I got MTRs.

On road
- balance was perfect. My MTRs never were perfect.
- felt just overall smoother. Like driving on clouds.
- no complaints about them being a D load rating instead of C.
- noise probably about the same, idk. Not something I care about.

Off road
We did some high speed narrow desert track followed by Elvis which is a familiar rock crawling trail, and then a new trail for me called Overdose, followed by more go fast stuff.

- for rock crawling these things hooked up big time. Was able to crawl some stuff today that I typically have to bump. They just always felt like they wanted to grab. It was awesome. Better than I remember MTRs ever doing. I couldn’t have been happier with the traction and they aren’t even broken in yet.

-did a bunch of go fast desert driving and was pleased with that as well. Felt pretty similar to MTRs but dug in a little better probably because of the tread difference.

Just got done wheeling. My verdict on the tires is that I am very happy. I’ll post my thoughts. Keep in mind my MTRs were pretty worn and I may not be able to fully remember how they were when they were newer. My views may be affected by just going from worn tires to new tires but from what I can remember, I was more impressed today with these tires than I was when I got MTRs.

On road
- balance was perfect. My MTRs never were perfect.
- felt just overall smoother. Like driving on clouds.
- no complaints about them being a D load rating instead of C.
- noise probably about the same, idk. Not something I care about.

Off road
We did some high speed narrow desert track followed by Elvis which is a familiar rock crawling trail, and then a new trail for me called Overdose, followed by more go fast stuff.

- for rock crawling these things hooked up big time. Was able to crawl some stuff today that I typically have to bump. They just always felt like they wanted to grab. It was awesome. Better than I remember MTRs ever doing. I couldn’t have been happier with the traction and they aren’t even broken in yet.

-did a bunch of go fast desert driving and was pleased with that as well. Felt pretty similar to MTRs but dug in a little better probably because of the tread difference.

Good to hear you like them.

I broke in my new set in Moab, trailered it there in 2021. No miles on them before wheeling. They got me around but I wasn't overly impressed.

I also ran the Rubicon that year and they improved significantly after that.

They've performed very well since then. I'm curious to see if you think they improve.

I just installed the same tires. No trips as yet, but going from Iroks to these was night and day. Almost silent, too quiet I hear all the other noises the jeep likes to make. Also went from 15" steel beadlocks to 17" KMC Grenades which I love.

1715001852017.png

I stayed fairly organized and would use the wheel design to help me stay in neat patterns around the wheel. I worked in groups of 8 and would hit all the I’s first then the Ds, then the bolts to the left of the Ds then the right of the Ds. Took me right about 45 min per tire on the last few.
What is this groups of 8 bullshit? There are no groups of anything. You start and go around completely because as you tighten one, each of the ones on either side of it loosen until you get to full torque and that stops happening. And that does NOT change no matter how many groups you break it up into, how many lower, or intermediate torque settings you use or anything else, they do NOT stop loosening the ones to either side until they are at the torque value for ALL of them. In fact, that is how you know you are done, when you torque one and then check the one you just did and if it is at torque and they all do that, done. Until then, not done.

What is this groups of 8 bullshit? There are no groups of anything. You start and go around completely because as you tighten one, each of the ones on either side of it loosen until you get to full torque and that stops happening. And that does NOT change no matter how many groups you break it up into, how many lower, or intermediate torque settings you use or anything else, they do NOT stop loosening the ones to either side until they are at the torque value for ALL of them. In fact, that is how you know you are done, when you torque one and then check the one you just did and if it is at torque and they all do that, done. Until then, not done.

Maybe I didn’t communicate that effectively but I think you misunderstood what I meant. I went around in a star pattern the entire time all the way around the wheel until all the bolts were done. I’m just saying I used the wheel design to help me keep track of which bolts I had done and not done so I wasn’t missing any while I worked my way through a full lap.

Reactions: Wildman
Maybe I didn’t communicate that effectively but I think you misunderstood what I meant. I went around in a star pattern the entire time all the way around the wheel until all the bolts were done. I’m just saying I used the wheel design to help me keep track of which bolts I had done and not done so I wasn’t missing any while I worked my way through a full lap.

I don't think you read that correctly. There is no star pattern or any other pattern, period. Read what I wrote and understand why because it is fully ineffective and a complete waste of time. Start, go around in a full circle and that never changes except for the first 6 longer ones if needed to move the ring down to get the normal length bolts to engage in the threads.

I don't think you read that correctly. There is no star pattern or any other pattern, period. Read what I wrote and understand why because it is fully ineffective and a complete waste of time. Start, go around in a full circle and that never changes except for the first 6 longer ones if needed to move the ring down to get the normal length bolts to engage in the threads.

Gotcha. I see what you are saying now. I did the star pattern because the Raceline instructions said to but good to know that is not needed.

When rechecking torque values as maintenance, do I need to deflate the tire first? I’ve seen that if your bolts thread into aluminum then you should deflate because you have no way of knowing if your bolt is bottoming out, but wasn’t sure if same rules apply if you have the threaded inserts like raceline does.