Basket's Build

Yeah, the safety of flipping a drop is really what is in question... I know the towbar needs to be flat but is it safe to raise it that far off the truck to make it happen?

Am I going to be forced to mount them under the bumper for it to be safe?

Some "drop" hitches are not designed to flip over. Most adjustables are designed to be rise or drop.
I know @Wildman suggested going with a solid one piece that can be used in either configuration, and it would be the ideal way to go, but finding one that is the exact height (+/- 2") you need might prove to be harder to do than you'd think.

As for the reasons you don't want high angles on a tow bar.... With your setup, the front of the Jeep would lift and try to pole vault over the hitch and into the back of your truck. If your Jeep was lower than your hitch ball, then it would try to jack up the back of your tow vehicle.

Last edited:
I think if there is a safe & easy way to mount the towbar under the bumper that is the better option. If there isn't a way to do this then I'd get the correct sized hitch to get the bar as level as possible.

I've never been a big fan of hitch extensions. This is what Super Hitch does with their extensions.

View attachment 524783

Yeah, I might be able to mount those D-ring mounts under the bumper by cutting my steering gear skid and drilling and tapping second holes
1715048405819.png

Based on the scratches in that area though it's pretty obvious they're gonna be majorly in the way sticking forward and down.

I'm also looking back at these:
1715048461140.png

Maybe if I put a backer plate behind the bumper I could have these just inboard of the frame rails?

I should've just bought a fucking trailer

• Sad
Reactions: Rickyd and reddvltj
Some "drop" hitches are not designed to flip over. Most adjustables are designed to be rise or drop.
I know @Wildman suggested going with a solid one piece that can be used in either configuration, and it would be the ideal way to go, but finding one that is the exact height (+/- 2") you need might prove to be harder to do than you'd think.
Yeah it looks like they sell a bunch of variety at TCS in increments of 2", so as long as the differential is an even number lol.

As for the reasons you don't want high angles on a tow bar.... With your setup, the front of the Jeep would lift and try to pole vault over the hitch and into the back of your truck. If your Jeep was lower than your hitch ball then it would try to jack up the back of your tow vehicle.
This is pretty much how the guys at TCS were describing it to me I think

Reactions: reddvltj

As for the reasons you don't want high angles on a tow bar.... With your setup, the front of the Jeep would lift and try to pole vault over the hitch and into the back of your truck. If your Jeep was lower than your hitch ball then it would try to jack up the back of your tow vehicle.

I honestly didn't know some of them couldn't be flipped over so that is a GOOD safety note. I think I'd try as hard as possible to find a one piece one that put me as close to flat as possible.

I honestly didn't know some of them couldn't be flipped over so that is a GOOD safety note. I think I'd try as hard as possible to find a one piece one that put me as close to flat as possible.
I'm more of a fan of multiple use ability... Since I got my adjustable rise/lower, the only time I don't use it is if I need to tow something with the equalizer hitch.

Reactions: Wildman and lBasket
I'm more of a fan of multiple use ability... Since I got my adjustable rise/lower, the only time I don't use it is if I need to tow something with the equalizer hitch.

My issues with the adjustable & the extender is WEIGHT... Most I've seen weigh more than the none adjustable.

Reactions: lBasket
I'll have to go out and get it all connected tomorrow and see what kind of rise I'd actually need. The picture I uploaded earlier is slightly exaggerated - the ball is on a 2" drop and the towbar is on top of, not connected to, the bumper mounts.

My issues with the adjustable & the extender is WEIGHT... Most I've seen weigh more than the none adjustable.

The one I have on my truck is rated at 10k lbs and it's all aluminum except for the ball shank and pins. I'd have to weigh it, vs the 8"drop/rise single we have out in the shop, which is also solid aluminum except the ball. One more get up and 14 hour day and I can do that... You might have to remind me.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I'll have to go out and get it all connected tomorrow and see what kind of rise I'd actually need. The picture I uploaded earlier is slightly exaggerated - the ball is on a 2" drop and the towbar is on top of, not connected to, the bumper mounts.

One thing to remember, if you buy a ball adapter (stinger) that is made for rise and drop, the drop and rise will NOT be the same number.

• Wow
One thing to remember, if you buy a ball adapter (stinger) that is made for rise and drop, the drop and rise will NOT be the same number. Rise will always be higher # than the drop.

Good to know.... is there a meaningful difference between a the sleeve rise/drops and the ones with the ball?

Hmmm... I guess the sleeve ones are more likely to add more overall length to the entire setup since you still need to add the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj