Cummins R2.8 swap Alaska build

Ill look through some threads for some ideas!!! Again, thank you! i keep forgetting its a plastic oil pan. Hopefully the block heater is enough for the cold Alaska starts, since i don't think i can put a pan heater on the plastic.

In that episode they broke the pan an aluminum version of the oil pan was mentioned if i remember right?

In that episode they broke the pan an aluminum version of the oil pan was mentioned if i remember right?
Just did a quick search, there is a cast aluminum available from Cummins for almost $300

IMG_3049.png

Just did a quick search, there is a cast aluminum available from Cummins for almost $300

View attachment 477796

Personally I'd plan either way for a skid plate. I've busted enough aluminum oil pans, to not be terribly impressed. My main judgement between the 2 would be which 1 is cheaper and since you already have 1 that's the 1 I'd stick with for the next couple of decades.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
Personally I'd plan either way for a skid plate. I've busted enough aluminum oil pans, to not be terribly impressed. My main judgement between the 2 would be which 1 is cheaper and since you already have 1 that's the 1 I'd stick with for the next couple of decades.

agreed, the Savvy skid fits and covers the 2.8 just fine. I had to make some new mounts that fit into the existing holes on my Axis mounts. That was a learning experience with sendcutsend

I may need to cut a new hole for the oil drain or accept dropping the skid until then.

agreed, the Savvy skid fits and covers the 2.8 just fine. I had to make some new mounts that fit into the existing holes on my Axis mounts. That was a learning experience with sendcutsend

I may need to cut a new hole for the oil drain or accept dropping the skid until then.

Yeah that can go either way really. I like the simplicity of 1 hole, but I don't like the mess from having a bunch of oil on the skid plate.

Yeah that can go either way really. I like the simplicity of 1 hole, but I don't like the mess from having a bunch of oil on the skid plate.

Had I thought about it before hand. I would have seen if I could request a skid with no oil hole.

I really don't want two holes, something something OCD 😑

Had I thought about it before hand. I would have seen if I could request a skid with no oil hole.

I really don't want two holes, something something OCD 😑

Well consider it a way to lighten up the plate :).

Also I kind of forgot where the drain plug was mounted on this engine and at least it doesn't make much of a mess. like the ones mounted on the back of pans do.

The reason i brought it up was heat blankets and heat transfer in alaska. Aluminum is better for the job. Cummins went with plastic for nvh and weight reasons.

It just goes to say if you whack your oil pan on a rock you're doing something stupid

Alaskan starts, pfft you're a southerner if you only stay in Anchorage.

I've got a picture somewhere that shows the hood thawing out. Memory serves me right it was in single digits not negatives. Just on the block heater.

On the -25 and lower I would put a space heater in the engine bay and cover with a blanket.

Anchorage doesnt get that cold.

You can put a heater on the pan since it is a polymer. In "squarebanks" 😂 they sold all the different wattages. You just have tonuse the larger pad with the lower wattage.

Ummm either 2019 or 2020 it was -30 in Anchorage... weird winter but held those temps for a week. It should be fine, I'm overthinking it...

Agreed, i already have this one!

Also, didn't take may pics of today's progress.

Bracket fabbed up to mount transmission to skid plate, and swapped out the 21 spline input shaft to a 23 spline in the tcase.

Everything is on its own weight now!! The plate that got cut on the CNC plasma table has a slight bend in it (not pictured). Also not pictured is the 2 other pieces that got cut that reinforce the bracket.

PXL_20231203_234824067.jpg

Bracket cut and mounted for the WIF, fuel tank sending unit modified ( submersible hose added to sending unit and return line to a bulkhead fittings), gas pedal removed, hole cut out for Cummins cannon plug. Nothing too crazy, but progress! Bonus was the homemade Pho I got to try! Probably one of the best meals I've ever had! Thanks Mark!

PXL_20231211_000430337.jpg

PXL_20231210_222913746.MP.jpg

PXL_20231210_213658169.jpg

PXL_20231211_021623900.jpg

PXL_20231211_010822182.jpg

PXL_20231211_000428198.jpg

PXL_20231211_000426630.jpg