Does the hollow cavity between the two layers of OEM hard top have any way to drain?

TooTallTJ

I flopped my Jeep at Naches several years ago when I was much newer to jeeping and hopefully also much dumber. I've circled a bit of damage to the hard top in red in the image below--there is actually a hole in that spot where rain could, and certainly does dribble into as the Jeep sits parked outside every day in a rainy state, and this winter in particular has been extra rainy.

Is there some way for that water to escape the hard top, or is it getting trapped in there somewhere? Is anyone intimately familiar with the design of these '99 OEM hard tops who can answer this for me? I probably should have thought about this sooner, but I'm wondering if I need to drill a hole somewhere, or what.

I do plan to repair the hard top later once it's summer and the weather is nice enough to do it, but for now I'm mostly curious whether this hole is something I should be worried about where rain is concerned. I could slap some flex tape over it, but if there's water in there that would be a bad idea, as it would just get super moldy inside, and probably lead to leaking issues at the seams where pieces are adhered together from the factory.

flopped (with red circle).JPG

Should be easy enough to rock the jeep back and forth and listen to determine if there is any water in it. If there is, you might want to tarp it, and drill a few small holes along the bottom to drain it, and allow it to dry, then do the fiberglass repair.

I doubt there's a factory drain but I could be wrong, who knows?

The flex tape would stop water from getting in but also stop any "moisture" already in there from evaporating out.

Since it's probably been out in the rain multiple times over the past several years there's probably mold already growing down in there somewhere so adding some drain holes and flushing it out with white vinegar would be my first step before making any repairs this summer.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi