HPTuners MPVI2—it looks like it is possible to program 42RLE shift points

I have 5:38's, 35's and a rebuilt motor, new casting head with larger exhaust valves and a banks header. Jeep runs well but I would love to make the 42RLE hold 3rd a little longer. I may have missed it but has anyone with the HP tuner adjusted shift points in a 42 RLE tranny with success?

Off road only on the box and an off road only sticker on the PCM.

Didn't certain Banks turbo kits have similar warnings?

FWIW, my 05 Banks tune is CARB legal...I keep the CARB EO sticker stored in an envelope.

Last edited:
If I need to drive between 40 MPH-55 MPH, I start with overdrive ON and then turn OD off after the 2-3 shift occurs but before the 3-4 shift. This allows the TCC to lock up in 3rd gear at high enough RPMs for it to remain locked. It's a pain to keep doing this every time I drive, so sometimes I give up and just not bother with the OD button at all.

I noticed similar results @psrivats...I manipulate the OD switch on almost every drive to achieve higher RPMs for boost by keeping OD on until it's about to shift 3-4 around 2500 RPMs. Switching to OD off before it shifts to 4th allows me to be higher in the RPM range when lockup occurs soon after in 3rd. This is better than lockup occurring at a few hundred RPMs lower when cruising in 3rd with OD off.

I just saw this thread and realized the info I've been looking for has been sitting in the forum for years. I'm going to try to learn more from @Juggernaut on how to raise the 2-3 and 3-4 shift schedules using my HP Tuners device...as I believe it will be a game-changer for the 42RLE Turbo setup.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I noticed similar results @psrivats...I manipulate the OD switch on almost every drive to achieve higher RPMs for boost by keeping OD on until it's about to shift 3-4 around 2500 RPMs. Switching to OD off before it shifts to 4th allows me to be higher in the RPM range when lockup occurs soon after in 3rd. This is better than lockup occurring at a few hundred RPMs lower when cruising in 3rd with OD off.

I just saw this thread and realized the info I've been looking for has been sitting in the forum for years. I'm going to try to learn more from @Juggernaut on how to raise the 2-3 and 3-4 shift schedules using my HP Tuners device...as I believe it will be a game-changer for the 42RLE Turbo setup.

These days I just leave OD off for within the town and keep it on for hwy. Been following up the posts on Mark's new tune. Interesting observations from folks.

Reactions: MikeE024
These days I just leave OD off for within the town and keep it on for hwy. Been following up the posts on Mark's new tune. Interesting observations from folks.

Makes good sense man l did the same when running FRP’s 4.0L tune…I found no reason to lug around town with OD on. That said, I hope Mark’s tune helps folks enjoy the 4.0L more.